could someone please post a tuning video on youtube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want to learn more on how to properly tune a carb. I've read all the posts here. I have a tach (thanks Bowtie!). I just learn a whole lot better watching and listening. It sure would help if someone that knows what they are doing would post a video on youtube. WDO

I want to learn more on how to properly tune a carb. I've read all the posts here. I have a tach (thanks Bowtie!). I just learn a whole lot better watching and listening. It sure would help if someone that knows what they are doing would post a video on youtube. WDO

I second this idea. I don't currently feel comfortable tuning my own saws, because I have a hard time recognizing the 4 stroking sound. I have listened to the Madsen's link many times, I'm gonna give the headphones a try.

It probably isn't rocket science, but the cost of failure seems high if you can burn up a P & C because you don't get "fourstroking".

Our senses work in concert. Sometimes when we can't hear someone clearly we watch their lips as they talk. When I drive on snow & ice I like to see & hear the road as well as feel it. The senses provide context for each other that contributes to understanding.

If someone's willing to make the vid, it could be an effective tool. And having someone narrate & talk through the process would add even more.

JMO,

Mark

Ugh... you're kiddin' right???

This ain't rocket science...

Gary

Think of it like learning about sex for the first time Gary. It might be a lot easier to figure out by watching and listening than just listening. :blob4:

A couple helpful hints for those trying to sort out how to tune by ear.

Do it outside, to much echo if you are in the garage.

Wear earing protection of some sort, even a stocking cap pulled over your ears helps (I spent to many years running saws without protection so I have hearing loss...I've found this headset to be very helpful)

Once you have it dialed in, you think, put it in the cut. Hold the cut for 5 or 10 seconds the lift up the saw, you'll hear the 4 stroking sound (hopefully). Thats how several tech's have been able to pick up the tone.

Get a tach ya cheap bastiges! Do a search on this forum, what kind, from where, how much, etc., etc., etc., have been covered dozens of times.

A tach really isn't necessary, but sure helps on a saw thats rev limited.

I've found that the tach will allow you to see how close the saw is running to recommended maximum rpms, but tuning "in the cut" allows you to feel where the saw runs strongest.

"G money" is right, hands on dude. Learn to tune by ear.

You don't need to see it, you need to hear it. You'll know when you're touching in the right place...ooops, I mean, you'll know when she is running right cuz she'll be making some nice sounds:clap:

Latest posts

Back