Second opinion on tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys for responding to my topic. Sylvia asked for additional photos (close up's) and distances of where these the trees are related to the house and i hope these help.

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

Great advice--"Cut em all; they're defective! Oh, did I mention that we're having a sale on our potbound crap called nursery trees?"

Seer I think your being sarcastic you can't believe that. The only thing I see is maybe the tri-dominant but even it can be made to last many years. I would reduce the stem leaning toward the house cable it and plant there replacement should it ever become necessary. That is my perception anyway, the live oak is even better in the new pictures but I may thin some of the limbs being careful to save the best attached limbs and come back if 3 years to prune away from roof line. That tree could be the focal point of this beautiful property. To the OP I am glad you checked in here before listening to landscapers who obviously don't want you to have a beautiful yard.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting more photos. They do indeed help, although, as is often the case...they also produce more questions.

The tri-trunk oak is the "main" problem. It looks like there is a little residual stump from the past in the crotch. So I am thinking about a regrowth from quite awhile ago. By the way, the old piece of stump should be removed gently without damaging the existing trees. It is not helping the situation.

A tri-trunk tree is readily cabled. Personally, I would be reticent to subordinate two of the trunks or remove them and trying to let one grow by itself, at this stage. Aesthetically, the subordination process just simply would not look good (IMHO) and you have already mentioned that none of the trunks grow straight. I am picturing this tree in leaf and imagine it looks beautiful. Also removing two of the trunk sections suddenly exposes the one left to forces it has not had to deal with alone. That in itself, could present a whole other can of worms.

So we would be recommending cabling of the tri-trunk.

Side note: this is in the red oak group, has Oak Wilt been detected in your area?

Another side note: even if removal becomes a factor in the future, this tree is right by a drive for easy access, so should not present a huge problem.

Out of curiosity. Do you have a strong homeowner's association? The yards in the neighborhood are very similar. Homeowner associations can be funny sometimes. Are there restrictive covenants that may govern some of your choices?

I would definitely keep both of the bald cypress and the live oak. I also would not do any trimming at this time. It is not necessary.

Sylvia

Thank you for posting more photos. They do indeed help, although, as is often the case...they also produce more questions.

The tri-trunk oak is the "main" problem. It looks like there is a little residual stump from the past in the crotch. So I am thinking about a regrowth from quite awhile ago. By the way, the old piece of stump should be removed gently without damaging the existing trees. It is not helping the situation.

A tri-trunk tree is readily cabled. Personally, I would be reticent to subordinate two of the trunks or remove them and trying to let one grow by itself, at this stage. Aesthetically, the subordination process just simply would not look good (IMHO) and you have already mentioned that none of the trunks grow straight. I am picturing this tree in leaf and imagine it looks beautiful. Also removing two of the trunk sections suddenly exposes the one left to forces it has not had to deal with alone. That in itself, could present a whole other can of worms.

So we would be recommending cabling of the tri-trunk.

Side note: this is in the red oak group, has Oak Wilt been detected in your area?

Another side note: even if removal becomes a factor in the future, this tree is right by a drive for easy access, so should not present a huge problem.

Out of curiosity. Do you have a strong homeowner's association? The yards in the neighborhood are very similar. Homeowner associations can be funny sometimes. Are there restrictive covenants that may govern some of your choices?

I would definitely keep both of the bald cypress and the live oak. I also would not do any trimming at this time. It is not necessary.

Sylvia

I agree mostly but the live oak could use some thinning imo it appears to have too many branches coming from one spot and since it is in the young and vigorous state a little structure pruning would help imo.

My eyes are terrible but has it been headed?

I agree mostly but the live oak could use some thinning imo it appears to have too many branches coming from one spot and since it is in the young and vigorous state a little structure pruning would help imo.

My eyes are terrible but has it been headed?

I was looking at that too, it's difficult to discern the branch taper through the canopy.

Mostly judging from the pg 1 pic, I don't think it has ever been headed.

------------------

On the triple-red...

The new pics make me feel more firmly that static cabling is the best option to stabilize the ground level fault, with no reduction needed at this time. I do see a few pruner pole/handsaw cuts to shorten low limbs that reach high into the canopy.

Last edited:
I was looking at that too, it's difficult to discern the branch taper through the canopy.

Mostly judging from the pg 1 pic, I don't think it has ever been headed.

------------------

On the triple-red...

The new pics make me feel more firmly that static cabling is the best option to stabilize the ground level fault, with no reduction needed at this time.

I believe you may be right,it still would not hurt to thin a little don't want it to be crowded at as an older tree. Take any weakly attached ones first of course!

I believe you may be right,it still would not hurt to thin a little don't want it to be crowded at as an older tree. Take any weakly attached ones first of course!

Lol....you quoted me before my edit went through...I do see a few pruning cuts in the triple red.

On the live oak I can't see enough to suggest trimming, or what to take and what to leave, I'd want to see that one in person to offer an opinion.

it would be interesting to see close up photos of the base of the tri-trunk.
We can't see the trunk flare, the most critical part of the tree. Please scrape away the dirt from the stem until you see the roots start. Then post a pic or 2.

YOur tree has been buried. No Rx without an RCX!

Seer I think your being sarcastic you can't believe that. The only thing I see is maybe the tri-dominant but even it can be made to last many years. I would reduce the stem leaning toward the house cable it and plant there replacement should it ever become necessary. That is my perception anyway, the live oak is even better in the new pictures but I may thin some of the limbs being careful to save the best attached limbs and come back if 3 years to prune away from roof line. That tree could be the focal point of this beautiful property. To the OP I am glad you checked in here before listening to landscapers who obviously don't want you to have a beautiful yard.
Great advice ropensaddle,ever looking for a job in the other side of AR,let me know.Could use a man like you.

Lol....you quoted me before my edit went through...I do see a few pruning cuts in the triple red.

On the live oak I can't see enough to suggest trimming, or what to take and what to leave, I'd want to see that one in person to offer an opinion.

I can see too many branches in one spot it make my eyes blur lol but yeah as far as which and what to cut would have to be there to know that. Too many collars in one location is just as bad as codomananent stems though imo.

We can't see the trunk flare, the most critical part of the tree. Please scrape away the dirt from the stem until you see the roots start. Then post a pic or 2.

I noticed that, but thought it was due to them being stump sprout re-growth. Now I'm wondering....

I so would like and air spade, your absolutely right, prolly filled in with soil for the sod like I see much of here not to mention here there is usually excavator damage as well.. It is so funny how the time to really be helpful is upon construction and trees are not even thought of then.

Again I,m distracted by the quality of the home, look at that brick work 2 story vaulted arch entry, arch windows with craftsman fitting and finish, nice crib agent.

Oh that tri trunk oak looks wrong. Perhaps replant 2 or 3 suitable new trees with view to loose it after their establishment.

Heck even the gutter down pipes are tip top.

Latest posts

Back