need decent filter for 880 can any aussies help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky616

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i been searching on here but cant seem to find anything on air filters for 880 in australia, does anyone no where i can get a hi flow or something like it before i do damage to big girl. thanks in advance:cheers:

bobL may be able to tell you more on that dept he is in the woodwork forums right now i'll ask him for ya

The extreme service filter like that bailey's unit is what Aussie Aboristsite member Rooshooter uses. I'd PM him and see if he can get you one locally.

attachment.php

What are you cutting that needs it?

just redgum bob but the filter aint worth a dam, goes straight thru it around it under it you name it, first tank of juice i pulled it off to check it and near died, carby throat was coated with dust and fine chips. i will drop laurie an email and see if he can help me.

Matt/MCW has mentioned the foam HD filter too, pretty sure one of his mates had to get one.
They must be available through Stihl Oz as they required them for warranty in a lot of areas thanks to the dust.

In the meantime get some foam filter oil in an aerosol can from a motor bike shop. It's used on off road/enduro bikes. Matt and I use it on our flocked Dolmar filters, it stops all the fine dust getting through.
Although the filter needs swapping out more often it's not a big deal when you carry a spare or two.

thanks for that tdi i thought about trying some of my bike filter foam but wasnt too sure, i carry 4 spare filter bands all the time so i can change them often.

just redgum bob but the filter aint worth a dam, goes straight thru it around it under it you name it, first tank of juice i pulled it off to check it and near died, carby throat was coated with dust and fine chips. i will drop laurie an email and see if he can help me.

That'll do it!
Milling or falling/firewood?
Milling I found my filter was a bit cleaner with this muffler mod.
attachment.php

I found it throws the sawdust away from the saw rather than the exhaust bouncing off the log and forming a fog of dust around the saw. Only really good for milling though as it gets in the way for everything else.

just firewood for now bob, i might look into modding the pipe like yours cos it sure does form a cloud of dust around me, just got email back from laurie he gave me a couple of ideas. its a pita when i come home covered in crap after using the 880 yet im only dirty waist down with the little 66.

Hey Porky

Try Koondrook stihl dealer in Victoria. I have seen that they have some better filters for the 660. I havent tried one personally yet but will be soon. They cut a lot of redgum around there as well. Not much for a phone call.

Jimmy

just firewood for now bob, i might look into modding the pipe like yours cos it sure does form a cloud of dust around me, just got email back from laurie he gave me a couple of ideas. its a pita when i come home covered in crap after using the 880 yet im only dirty waist down with the little 66.

What mix are you running?

ive found the stihl Hd oiless filters to work very good, havent seen anything pass through them yet. after day buckn firewood they are coverd with dust and chips

i think i will make a few calls in the morning i cant even get thru a tank of juice without dust getting into the carb. im running 50:1 on the smaller timber and 40:1 on the bigger stuff. seems to work ok for both saws feel free to :buttkick: if thats a bad thing. ive never had any trouble with the little 66 it goes all day and not a speck or dirt in carb. thankyou all for the input :cheers: aaron

i think i will make a few calls in the morning i cant even get thru a tank of juice without dust getting into the carb. im running 50:1 on the smaller timber and 40:1 on the bigger stuff. seems to work ok for both saws feel free to :buttkick: if thats a bad thing.
No kicking needed, that's exactly what I use too.

ive never had any trouble with the little 66 it goes all day and not a speck or dirt in carb. thankyou all for the input :cheers: aaron
With stuff like wood dust, machinery can create specific bands of particle sizes that hang in the air for a certain time before falling to the ground. The big saws like the 880 suck a lot of air and thus create a significant vacuum in the region of the air cleaner so they can pull finer dust (especially from stuff like redgum) from the air towards themselves than say a 660. I saw the same thing running the 3120. Dry redgum and dry jarrah are especially friable and make a lot of dust that seems to get everywhere. Nevertheless you'd think saw manufacturers should have been given feedback by the Aussie dealers and be able to make a half decent air filter to handle these timbers.

Just a FWIW

"remember that Stihl have had a lot of warranty claims in Australia on their 880's for dust and I've even heard that some Aussie Husqvarna dealers are now recommending filter oil on most of the saws they sell, including my 3120XP."

"A lot of people seem to think these filter issues are isolated to Dolmars but as mentioned I've heard of these issues in Australia with most of the saw brands. A friend who recently bought a Stihl 880 complained of dust ingression and was told by the dealer not to worry as any dust would be burnt off and combusted through the engine! After a heated debate they reluctantly gave him the Stihl extreme filter setup under warranty. Not sure if you've seen these things but the standard filter cover is no longer used and you have a big green foam pancake filter hanging out the top of your saw. Not a good look on a brand new 880! "

from here http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1492888&postcount=10 and here http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1493076&postcount=12

Yes i know what you mean,i found that the filter cover screw did not tighten down enough to seal the filter properly.So i used some soft foam tape and taped to the inside of the filter cover its about 2mm thick,tighten the screw on the filter cover bingo nice tight seal.:)

Another trick most fallers use around here is to run a thin film of STIHL grease, around the sealing area, no dust whatsoever will get past this.
At the end of the day when your cleaning your saw, just wipe the old stuff away, then apply a new film, with your cleaned filter

I've had the same advice in regard to my Dolmar filters.

"You're not tightening it down"

"It must be loose" etc etc.

Thats not the case at all - the fine particulates are going straight through the filter material itself. A bead of grease won't help much at all although it is recommended (I use it on my 3120XP). Even if you use grease it will still get though the filter material in similar amounts.

I'm glad you heard from Laurie as he was the one who helped my mate (who knows Laurie too) get the extreme filter setup under warranty within weeks of buying a brand new 880. Apparently Stihl dealers will argue, bite and scratch convincing you that its not necessary but there are certain things you have to tell them that Laurie knows all about. Maybe court action? :)

I'm not trying to sound like a know all but there are certain conditions that Aussies cut in that I doubt can be duplicated in most parts of the world. As far as I am aware the Stihl Extreme Filter setup is only available in Australia and South Africa which tells you something. Although it works it is one big, ugly, green behemoth hanging of the back of the saw. You can't use your filter cover anymore either.

I've cut green timber all day and not had a problem with filters on any of my saws. Get to a dead old Red Gum on dry as toast, clay river flats during the longest drought in Australia's history and its a whole new ball game...

thanks for all the tips, ive tightened the cover up so tight that i thought i would break something but it still got through, its like theres not enough thread to pull it down far enough. i dont mind if a good filter looks a bit ugly better than a rebuild.

Latest posts

Back