Whats the damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If any,

Got my MS260 back from loan to a friend

He tells me the saw rocks, just needed a tune up!!

Anyway, get to some cutting last night and the saw is screaming, get my fast tac out and she is sitting at 16200rpm!!

Quickly bring her back down to 14000.

Question is this saw has ran through about 3 cords of wood at that high RPM. Whats the potential damage guys, seems to run fine now but don't want to run her till I know I ain't doing more harm!

If any,

Anyway, get to some cutting last night and the saw is screaming, get my fast tac out and she is sitting at 16200rpm!!

Question is this saw has ran through about 3 cords of wood at that high RPM. Whats the potential damage guys, seems to run fine now but don't want to run her till I know I ain't doing more harm!

#1 Don't lend her out. #2 You're probably fine, run her hard.:greenchainsaw:

This right here is the reason a couple of months ago, I vowed to NEVER lend out another saw. It seemed that every time I would lend out my Husky it would come back and need a bunch of work. Rocked chains, bad gas, clogged air filters, bent bars, and the list goes on.

When I bought my first Stihl I made the decision to never lend it out, and then when my slight case of CAD kicked in and I bought my next Stihl a couple of months later I held fast to that. Even with a very close friend begging me to borrow it, I just said NO!

It depends how blunt an instrument and how often you beat your so call friend up with!

Lets just say he won't ask again! his phone must been held about 12" from his ear when I seen the reading on the tac.

My wife thought I was going to burst a blood vessel.

I don't mind loaning out my tools etc if peeps look after them and use them properly. If he had called and said " man your saw needs tuned! " I would have told him to leave it alone and I woud check it out in the morning

If you have it in ya to chew his ass,
you have it in ya to say NO next time.

That goes for everyone else who asks.
Say it with me...PISS ON'EM...NO!
garfieldhangover.jpg

Last edited:
I don't loan any of my saws, but if it is a neighbor or friend, I'll take 'em over there & cut whatever it is that needs cutting. It's rather enjoyable to make a bunch of sawdust, then say, "see ya later" without having to drag brush or spilt or clean up, or, or........

RD

If you have it in ya to chew his ass,
you have it in ya to say NO next time.

That goes for everyone else who asks.

Yep, it might feel akward at the time to say no at the time, but things can be a lot worse when you do lend stuff out.

I lent a saw to a friend I trusted at the time. He said he hit a nail, so took it to the saw shop to get a new chain fitted. It was on backwards. Great, now I know you are a :censored: and a liar.

Like Fish said the piston will indicate if there's any damage. Hope it's OK.

Have you done a compression test yet?

If any,

Take off the muffler and look at the piston.

Will strip it off tonight and have a look.

Don't have the equipment for a comp test, but would say that by pulling the starter it doesn't feel any lighter etc than prior to being over reved

It's hard to believe that didn't do it. Did it hit those high RPMs right off the bat, or did you have to hold it a while?

That was the max reading on the tac( tac has a memory function) at WOT for about 3 secs or so. When I saw it go so high I let her back down in a hurry!

If you loan out guns, saws or vehicles, you are asking for a disaster. I hope the saw is OK and it sounds like it probably is. You may have dodged a bullet and learned a lesson at the same time. Sometimes trying to be nice to someone does not pay off (the voice of experience).

Lending Saws????NOT!!!!

I have a few saws.........People who know me well don't ask.......HOWEVER!!

maybe once a month someone will come along and see a few of my fleet and out it comes "Hey man you've got some nice old saws can I borrow THAT one?? Well the last time I loaned a saw was to my daughters step dad. He came begging one cold fall morning before I had my second cup of coffee. I thought he needed to cut up some firewood for home. He has a saw but it was in the shop he said (WONDER WHY???) Well he's not a bad guy works for the Natl. Park Service (Ranger) uses saws some. So figure the guy is sorta family and what the hey, so I hand him my 61 Husky in mint shape brand new Sthil chain full of gas and oil.

I got back to the shop around 5 that afternoon and sitting just inside the door is my saw. I instantly see the chain hanging about three quarters of an inch off the bar and note on top says "Thanks". Well it was out of bar oil and had about a quarter of a tank of fuel left. Which means that ran more than two tanks if gas at the least. AND the brand new chain had been rocked so hard the it HAD to be ground to about 50% just to get it back so it would cut again. The killer was that he had not used it to cut firewood for their house but had been hired by the Local Land Graber Trust to cut trails on the mountain for $35.00?Hour.:censored::censored::mad::censored:

Now when anyone asks to borrow a saw I smile and point to a very nice running Homelite SXL mixed 20:1 with a beat but sharp chain and say sure!!

Some look hopefully at the rack of Jreds but I just shake my head and point to the SXL. Some take it some don't. But I know if they do they will be done before the old Homey is!!!

Funny thing I never said a thing to the ranger but he only asked one other time about borrowing a saw. Allowed that the Homey smoked way to much I said "Yeah those old ones do that" He hasn't been back!!!!:greenchainsaw:

Back