not a splicer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treetom

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i've seen a lot of posts on splicing bee line, but was wondering if there is a safe method of whipping the ends with twine so i can just use a couple double fisherman's knots for attaching my prussik to biner.

Last edited:
Twine is a little bit coarse. I bought a roll of waxed nylon for whipping, it works pretty well, but you need to wrap it around an awful lot of times to get the desired thickness.

If you have some old stable braid rope laying around, the individual strands from that make pretty good whipping string. Then you can melt the ends down a little bit with a candle (on the whipping, not the Bee Line), and it will be there forever.

I guess you discovered that you can't melt the end of that Bee Line to make it stop fraying, eh?

pdql, yes, i have discovered that the beeline burns but doesn't melt. i picked up a ball of waxed thread at Lowe's and weaved it back and forth through the beeline for about an inch and a half, melted it's end, then gorilla taped the end of the beeline. so far so good. i'll try the stable braid on my next rig. i can't recall the product but there is a glue one dips the end of a rope in, in order to seal the fibres.

Dunno much about whipping but we wrap the ends of beeline in electrical insulation tape then seal the end with super glue.

attachment.php

Whipping with cross stitching would be certain to prevent that problem too, but I can't think of anything easier than super glue. Excellent idea.

Don't start using the rope until the glue sets. You might get stuck (literally) in the tree.

I find the core moves independent of the outer sheath(kermantle?), if I don't glue it. Does this happen to you?

It is a core dependent rope, the cover is a wear guard. I find that the knots creep more with these lines then "common fiber" cordage.

What I will do is tie the first hitch, milk it back in towards the hank before cutting and tieing the second hitch.

On the cheap cords, I just cut a section off and then trim it down once I have the size tweaked right. These high high tech fiber cords are just too finicky and expensive for my tastes.

One guy who works for one of my clients will just buy 10 feet off me at a time and carry two or three on his saddle. He sees it as a high wear item that is sacrificial to production. Get a little burn, or a few boogers and it is tossed for a fresh one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back