Added a Husky 371 to the herd today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I made my usual Friday rounds through the pawnshops and scrapyard today and this 371 found its way into my car's trunk when I left the last shop:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The price was $169 but I haggled the owner down to $150 on account of the Jonsereds clutch cover and the fact that one of the AV mounts is shot so the AV is really loose. I know it looks kinda abused in the pictures, but this is exactly how it came from the shop and I haven't even so much as hit it with compressed air yet, let alone do a proper cleaning. It's very dirty but appears to have been taken care of. Nothing is broken or bent except for that one AV mount; it's just missing a bit of paint on a couple corners. I pulled the muffler when I got it home and the piston looks like brand new still. It fired in 4 pulls at the shop and felt like it had good compression, so I didn't worry about pulling the muffler before buying it. I was a bit surprised to see a single-ring piston in this saw - is that stock or did someone throw an aftermarket in there? Also as you can see in the third pic, it's already been muffler modded which is a big plus. It was a very good job too - it looks so stock that I didn't even realize it was modded until I brought it home. Totally missed that second opening up under the top cover.

What are the specs on the 371? It's one of the models that seem to be absent from Acres' site. I assume it's pretty similar to a 372 as far as power is concerned. At any rate, this thing sure likes to get up and go with that muffler mod. It doesn't appear to be ported at all, but I have no idea what the ports look like on these in stock form. I also haven't put the compression tester on 'er yet, but I'd guess it's in the 150 PSI range just by how it feels and runs. I think I'm gonna enjoy this saw. I'll keep an eye out for a proper orange clutch cover, but to be honest I'm not in any big hurry on that. If I were to decide to sell it that would be another matter, but everything doesn't have to match to cut firewood. I could always just paint it orange and hope nobody notices the different lines...

Last edited:
Great saw, mine ran good for years till the base gasket went. Now it has the big bore kit among other improvements. You got a good deal.:cheers:

Congrats! :cheers::cheers:

The single ring was standard back then, except for the very late (EPA) ones on the US market.

Specs are as the 372xp, except they were a tad lighter (the case of the 372xp was beefed up a bit).

The low air filter cover is nice!

One of the best saws I've ever used. If I had to have a three saw plan (how painful that would be!!), this would be one of them. I rather like the Jonsy cover, but Niko has a good point.. the side adjuster is more convenient. One of these days, just for the h^ll of it, I'm going to build a Jonsavarna which is a mish-mash of parts.

Last edited:
One of the best saws I've ever used. If I had to have a three saw plan (how painful that would be!!), this would be one of them. I rather like the Jonsy cover, but Niko has a good point.. the side adjuster is more convenient. One of these days, just for the h^ll of it, I'm going to build a Jonsavarna which is a mish-mash of parts.

Heh, I can't count how many of those I've seen floating around here, especially at auctions and farm yard sales. Almost all aren't worth the price though.

I like the look of the high-top cover & filter too, but it's not a big deal to me. And since this'll likely end up as one of my regular-use firewood saws, a hightop would just be more prone to getting broken. Not to mention the lowtops don't look like they should be as fast as they are. Always nice to have a "sleeper" kicking around to put a cocky fella back into place eh!

Last edited:
Did some noodlin' with the 371 a couple hours ago to get a feel for what I can expect from it:

attachment.php

I got the AV problem figured out today. I was at my dealer's shop today (for non-saw-related issues with the Husky lawn tractor) and decided to wander in the back and pick the tech's brain since I couldn't see a broken or missing mount anywhere. He told me that there was supposed to be a mount between the cylinder and the wrap handle on the clutch side. I had been wondering about the purpose of the threaded hole in the side of the cylinder, but I had no idea an AV spring should be there. Luckily I had a spare spring kicking around, though I'm not sure what saw it was from, but it fit up just fine. Now it's complete and ready for the fall firewood season, and I have a feeling it'll see a significant amount of use since I had previously been using the 660 to cut ~24" trees. The 371 feels smoother in the AV department and is a fair bit lighter, and doesn't even slow down in 20"+ wood with the skip chain that's on it. It's definitely a keeper.

FWIW while I was at the shop I checked out the price of a new 372XP - $1159 CDN plus sales tax.:cry: I'm pretty happy with paying ~13% of that for basically the same saw. Not quite as pretty, but it gets the job done just the same. Also I think that price is inflated due to the 372 discontinuation - I can get a brand new 390 or 395 for just a few bucks more; I think a 390 was $1199 or something like that and a 395 is a bit over $1200.

Is that really a pile of noodles or is that you in a ghilly suit, waiting to ambush a deer? LOL

Joking aside, looks like you got yourself one heck of a cutting machine. What kind of wood is that, and what kind of chain were you using?

Latest posts

Back