New Guy Extra Green

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wanted to introduce myself, Ive been lurking for about 3 weeks. I am a cabinet maker & all around woodworker by profession but I have become abscessed with woodturning. I turn a lot of green wood.

Well this love affair with turning green wood has led me down paths I never thought I'd be heading down. For 1 I never thought I'd be addicted to reading about chainsaws, although I am a tool and machinery enthusiast. Ive had to learn how to maintain my saw and keep the chain sharp. In doing so I have really learned to appropriate my saw as another tool in my arsenal.

I am currently running my father's old Homelite Super XL with a 20" bar & chain. I used this saw growing up to cut fire wood. I now want to upgrade to a pro level saw. From all the reading and research I've done I am thinking I will need at least a 60cc saw. I will be almost entirely bucking and noodling with this saw and would like a 20" bar & chain.

I have narrowed my choices to 361, 357, 6400 but am willing to hear any recommendations. I am going with the 1 saw plan at least for now. Also I have dealers for these 3 saws all within 20 miles. I want to try and keep my purchase under $500.00 so I have been looking for used.

I still have a great deal to learn and thank the members here for all there contributions. This is a great site. One I never in my life thought I'd be joining but am happy to be very green JR member.

:givebeer:
Mike

Welcome, there was a nice never been in wood 361 in the trading post forum. You can't go wrong with that saw in the 60cc class. We'd love to see pictures of some of your turned products!

Welcome, there was a nice never been in wood 361 in the trading post forum. You can't go wrong with that saw in the 60cc class. We'd love to see pictures of some of your turned products!

:agree2: There is some nice saws in the trading post, I have done well and cheaper in the trading post than other used places.

First thing to do is to see what dealer support you have and the go with the one you are the most comfortable with , all the saws you listed are well like and highly regarded so if they fit the budget go with your most liked dealer because you'll have to visit him more than me if I tell you which one to buy .
Welcome aboard , and don't forget to post some pics of your handy work cause we all like pics cause we don't read instructions !

:cheers:

noodle

this one word makes me sujest you look into the 70cc line specialy since your lookin at used saws.

i think if you do alot of noodleing the 60cc saws weak spot may be found and you wont be impressed with them wether theyre from stihl husky or other

a used 372 044 440 272 371 365 these are just a few of the saws id sujest these saws are fire breathers wearing 20" bars and will be very funn noodleing saws. theyre not even heavn .

you should also be able to stay within your 500 dollar budget, good luck and keep us posted.

First thing to do is to see what dealer support you have and the go with the one you are the most comfortable with , all the saws you listed are well like and highly regarded so if they fit the budget go with your most liked dealer because you'll have to visit him more than me if I tell you which one to buy .
Welcome aboard , and don't forget to post some pics of your handy work cause we all like pics cause we don't read instructions !

I forgot recomondations will only be given in exchange of visual eye candy!

:laugh:

Thanks everyone. I have been giving most of my pieces away but do have some pics. I should be photographing all of my work but I guess I am a little lazy in that department. I will get some pics up shortly. I'm having some difficulty's posting them. So I started a photobucket account.

7sleeper I have really liked all that I have read and seen of the 6400.

Evan I will take a closer look at 70cc saw thanks.

Mike

I just bought a jonsered 2159 a few weeks ago. I really like it so far. I have a good dealer too, makes a lot of difference.

I now want to upgrade to a pro level saw. From all the reading and research I've done I am thinking I will need at least a 60cc saw. I will be almost entirely bucking and noodling with this saw and would like a 20" bar & chain.

I have narrowed my choices to 361, 357, 6400 but am willing to hear any recommendations. I am going with the 1 saw plan at least for now. Also I have dealers for these 3 saws all within 20 miles. I want to try and keep my purchase under $500.00 so I have been looking for used.

:givebeer:
Mike

Welcome Mike
I love to buzz wood too! Give me a table saw, radial or a planner, just any thing to get that smell of cut wood going!
I'd like to suggest a Husky 346xp. This saw will serve your needs just fine for under 500 buck! This is one of the fastest cutting, lightest weight saws I own.

mioow, Here in Texas we have a bountiful supply of mesquite. A local man has taken to making rolling-pins out of this. I do not have any pictures but the color of the dark red in the grain is making him $$$, Ken

Welcome to the site. Real nice bowls. I try to turn some when I have some free time. My boy has been trying to turn him some duck calls that's been real.
My 2 cents if your looking at used find an 044 Stihl and it will do all you talk about doing. We run one and it's got good power and has given no trouble. It cut logs for about ten years and know we run it cutting firewood or anything else we need to cut. They are tuff and hard to beat in my book. All the others you spoke of would work, I think you will be impressed with an 044. Sometimes you can pick them up at a reasonable price. Around $350 to $400. The trading post on here has some good deals also.:chainsaw:

Welcome aboard, those are some great bowls. Also highly recommend the 6401 Makita. I love mine, and Baileys has them for 536 bucks. Also as said before there are some good deals in the trading post.

Also if you keep a hot compress on that abscess it will soon burst. JR

Nice work. All the saws you originally mentioned would be good. A husky 359 would be a good choice too. As for used the 044 Stihl or 272xp Husky would do very well.

Back