New Guy Extra Green

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smillin thanks I will look at the 044.

How about the Dolmar 7300? Is this the predecessor to the 7900?

6400, 7300 and 7900 are all the same saw just different cc/hp. All suggestions above are excellent, all pro modells so finding parts will not be dificult! You will be happy with any of the mentioned.

Your really going to need at least 2 saws. One for limbing and one for cutting rounds. Seems like the xl will work for limbing for the time being. For big rounds cut from hard wood.....I.E.- hedge .... you'll want some power. Look at a 70cc+ saw. The Stihl 440-044 comes to mind. WDO

Thanks for all the kind words. I have about 40 more bowls that are just roughed out and are on a shelf in the basement drying.

whitedogone I also have a 16" poplan that I could use for limbing for now. Although I have a great source for the wood I am turning. It is delivered limbed in 3' - 4' pieces from 10" - 26" diameter. So my main concern is haveing a good saw for bucking and noodling.

:chainsawguy:
Mike

Welcome to the site MAKEITOUTOFWOOD,
Really impressive craftsmanship on those bowls, especially the dovetail...that's spectacular!
As for your saw choice, you have already got lots of good options from members...you can't help but have a few different opinions when you ask a basic question around here. Brand loyalty and familiarity are always going to bring out the rivalry that makes this forum fun.
My two cents: Stihl MS044. I have been running them for about 10 years, and they are strong, tough, and light enough to be used all day without kicking your butt. This is my go-to saw 75% of the time...we have MS220Ts for in-tree, MS260s for smaller wood and MS660 for big wood...but the MS044s
are used for almost all the bucking and noodling. :cheers:

Bounty Hunter

If your going to be only bucking and noodling, I think I would be looking at a 70cc saw new or used:
Husky 372xp/Jonsered 2171
Stihl 044/440/460
Dolmar 7300/7900
Shindaiwa 757

You can always get a smaller saw later if you need it.
Those are some great looking bowls too!!

Good luck with your search,
:cheers:
Mike

Thanks to everyone for there advise and kind words. I am seriously looking at 70cc class saws now.

I will let everyone know what I buy in the end. The 044/440 is looking real good and I am still really liking the 6400, which I can always get the big bore kit for.

As for my turnings I have only begun to scratch the surface of what I feel I am capable of. My best turnings to date are still drying and waiting to be returned and finished.

I just want to buck and noodle and turn and buck and noodle and turn and buck and noodle and turn o my and buck and noodle and turn and bang on the drum all day. Wait that's not right buck and noodle and turn and beer and buck and noodle and turn and beer, that's it.

:clap:
Mike

Congrats on the new saw!
I have heard the 441 is a nice machine...low vibes and the fuel consumption is lower than 044/440...which these days can be an important issue.
Have fun and
Saw Safe :givebeer:

Bounty Hunter

Have you ever tried Osage/Hedgeapple?

No I have not but I know It is highly regarded in the turners circles.

I turn mostly Cherry Ash Birch and Walnut. Only because I can get it local.

Would love to turn both of those species.

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back