hog wild 359 lower transfers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
PWI (porting while intocicated). mmmmmmmmm VO and seven
comparison
GEDC0810.jpg

did this awhile back idnt have carbide burr avalable then
GEDC0809.jpg

hogged out alot
GEDC0808.jpg

exhaust, i need to widen this out more. can you belive i actualy had this saw down 3 times before grinding more each time and its now getn hogged out some more.
GEDC0813.jpg

didnt know how to take close up pics way back when
GEDC0814.jpg

intake, ill have to check and see if i can widen it more aswell. this is the first saw i ported on.
GEDC0812.jpg

i cant even remember what the lower transfers used to look like , i now feel like i see things alittle difrently with a carbide bure and grinder in hand. i can do quite abit on this thing even though ive already messed with it

the saw incase you where wondering. 359 tackled this 32" treee its one of the few tree removal jobs ive done
bigwood1.jpg

off for another VO and seven

Last edited:
umm might have an old video, ill have to dig it up

old vid after first grinding
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i661.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/359vid1.flv">

slightly when i first ported it awhile back. it didnt hurt it any. atleast gasketless it didnt hurt it any

old vid after first grinding
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i661.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid661.photobucket.com/albums/uu339/Evan03_photo/359vid1.flv">
I hope you don't cut like that anymore...:dizzy:

That looks dangerous...:taped:

yeah that wasnt my brightest moment
but not my worst either, im sure you can critigue it to the moon

slightly when i first ported it awhile back. it didnt hurt it any. atleast gasketless it didnt hurt it any

Maybe you already know it, but I'll clarify for others reading. Typically, you don't want to raise the roof of the intake port. Intake happens as the piston moves upward and the skirt begins to open at the bottom of the intake port. If you want to increase intake duration, you lower the floor of the port. Also, if you raise it, you risk dropping a ring into the port that wasn't designed to be. You want to widen the intake just like you do the exhaust. I tend to increase intake duration a few degrees as well.

Maybe you already know it, but I'll clarify for others reading. Typically, you don't want to raise the roof of the intake port. Intake happens as the piston moves upward and the skirt begins to open at the bottom of the intake port. If you want to increase intake duration, you lower the floor of the port. Also, if you raise it, you risk dropping a ring into the port that wasn't designed to be. You want to widen the intake just like you do the exhaust. I tend to increase intake duration a few degrees as well.
what are the drawbacks of lowering the intake port?

that is at max right now, transfer cover barley has anything to ride on

i agree with Brad

if i had it to do over again id widen only,

wide wide wide, never raise or lowere

You can see where the cylinder base is still blocking the transfers by where the RTV line is.
Brad,

Which pic are you referencing here? Is this the one?

GEDC0813.jpg

What exactly is RTV? Is that the buildup? Are you saying to open it up so that goes in the cylinder rather than being blocked?

Cheers,
TT

Last edited:
RTV is room temperature vulcanizing. that would be the sealant used as gasket. I have no idea what Brad means, I've been trying to figure that out. But...I just came home from a party with a large punch bowl that was mighty tasty so maybe I'm just "confused"

Brad was referencing removal of the material shown below. . .

attachment.php
Nate,

Thanks for pointing that out. Does that mean also around the top and bottom also, or only on the sides?

I should go read one of Brad's porting threads...I know he's posted stuff before as I've seen him reference it to folks...:-/

I'm on the lookout for something I can learn on, I need the two saws I have right now for building...this is how CAD sets in...next thing I'll have an extra saw to play with, and then another will pop up at an unbelievable price, and before you know it you have half a dozen of 'em, then a dozen, a couple, then three...:cheers:

Nate,

Thanks for pointing that out. Does that mean also around the top and bottom also, or only on the sides?

I should go read one of Brad's porting threads...I know he's posted stuff before as I've seen him reference it to folks...:-/

I'm on the lookout for something I can learn on, I need the two saws I have right now for building...this is how CAD sets in...next thing I'll have an extra saw to play with, and then another will pop up at an unbelievable price, and before you know it you have half a dozen of 'em, then a dozen, a couple, then three...:cheers:

LOL, YUP--that's how CAD infects you.

As far as your question on the lower transfer material. . . What you're trying to accomplish is "port-matching" the transfers to the case to improve flow. The clear "RTV line" in the picture, just shows that additional material could be removed, and with a little more uniformity (no offense to Evan).

yeah alitle more needs to be removed and uniformed alittle better. but even if i do this i think the pic represents pretty much what 100% gain is over the factory 359 lower transfer. i could probly stop now and be good to go

i may work the corners over alittle more. this seems to be wear the most material needs to be removed right now.

i actualy went alittle far and ground into one of the transfercover bolts pretty good. probly need some rtv to get this cover to seal again

Latest posts

Back