Stihl 034 - MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab250

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, my dad used to run an 034, and said it was a fantastic saw, and said it had much more power than his MS290. I am just wondering how similar an 034 would be to a brand new MS361, and wondering if they share any interchangeable parts? I am pretty sure they are gonna be similar. I know that the 361 uses the larger 036 bore though.

Gab

I can't speak of the parts interchangeability, but I made my purchase based on my experience with an 034. I learned on an 034. I was led to believe it died (which I now have it back, and it's going to cut again) so a few years later I bought a 361 thinking that it was the closest thing I could get to the 034. My personal opinion is that the 361 is a better saw. By a huge amount probably not, but still better overall. I really enjoy running either, and will probably just use the 034 as a backup when it's in fighting shape again. Around here you're limited to Stihl if you want a full service dealer and a professional saw so for general use/residential heating I like this size. Also I had a 18" bar on the 034, but the 361 is running a 20".

EDIT: But then again the 034 lasted through my grand-father, father, and me (the previous two owners didn't quite take care of it the way I did). The 361 hasn't really had a chance to prove itself yet.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll find any parts that interchange between a 034 and 361. They're entirely different saws. I don't think you'll find a lot of comparison in the performance either. IMHO, the 361 has had plenty of time to prove itself. It's a great saw, perhaps the best on the market right now, not taking the brand new 362 into account.

Ahh ok, I thought they were pretty similar saws.....I would like a 361 but I cant quite afford one at the moment, so I might chase up a used 034 or 044, I dont need a huge saw, but finding the 026 a bit under powered, I just want it to pull a 20" bar with authority, the 026 pulls it ok, but struggles a bit.

Gab

IMHO, the 361 has had plenty of time to prove itself.

What I meant was when I or my kid has the 361 15 years from now like the 034. So far it looks like a strong contender ;). I really couldn't be happier with my purchase.

29" in these parts is ideal on 60cc class saw.

heck a 18" 50cc saw does pretty much the same work.

but then again its not far from here were 60cc saws are running moster bars and race chains and doing very well in 6" wood

Garys right out west the 70cc saws are running 25-32" bars and handleing them well but i guess our woods kinda like balsa

I beleve an 034 will pull a 20" OK?

Gab

Depends on how you define OK! :greenchainsaw:

Imo an 044 is a better 20'' saw. 034 is best with a 16-18'' for the wood I cut. It would probably run 20'' .325 chain really well, come to think of it but with a 20'' bar buried all day the 044 will get alot more work done...

That sounds better! :cheers:

Depends on where and what you are cuttin'...

an 044/440 out here is 25" - 28" bar territory...

The 20" bars stay on the itty bitty saws...

Gary

THANK YOU! I've ran both an 044 at the sawmill and my 371 with 25" bars quite a bit, and they balance beautifully. Anything shorter and they're too tail-heavy. I do find 28" a bit long as far as cutting goes, but it is a better length for my height to help eliminate the need to bend over limbing and bucking small firewood. The 034 I just fixed for a friend pulled its 20" 3/8 setup with plenty of authority when I buried it in cross and rip cuts in dry, hard Douglas Fir to break it in.

Imo an 044 is a better 20'' saw. 034 is best with a 16-18'' for the wood I cut. It would probably run 20'' .325 chain really well, come to think of it but with a 20'' bar buried all day the 044 will get alot more work done...

I have run a lot of 034's super and none supers, 18 to 25 " bars. Never run a super alongside a nonsuper but at that with a 20" bar I can't tell a differance. As a matter of fact I feel my 044 is pretty good with 20" but when I run this non super 034 alternately I am impressed how close it feels to the 044. My 044 might be a little tired and I haven't spent enough time running other 044's to say most run any better. But an 034 of any kind properly tuned and maintained w/20"eats the hardwood here no problem. If I go to 18" for firewood it will be a 50 cc saw. I have run 24-25" hardnose on 034 supers and Black oak and pin oak was no struggle,white oak I wished I had more power. I raced another 034 super with .325 pitch against 3/8 on mine and 3/8 won not to say that would always be the case. He was good at maintaining chain and so am I , but I may have been sharper or mabe he had a smaller sprocket and wasn't turning as fast. I do like the air filter capacity much better on the 044 for a long day, but to tote as an extra saw taking less space in the tool box the 034 is great backup with its power capabilities. If I needed to I would put a bigger bar on it to finish a job in a pinch.

Latest posts

Back