Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good ole’ boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought this used 036-cylinder off eBay. It has some odd pitting, as seen from the pictures. The ad said no scoring but didn’t mention anything about the pitting. The pictures were too far away and out of focus to see the issues. My question is, would you run it, or would you return it, paying a return shipping charge? I’m most concerned about the damage closest to the top of the combustion chamber since one spot is pretty big. The cylinder is an OEM MAHLE, and the price was fair.

Attachments

• IMG_4823.jpeg
    IMG_4823.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4825.jpeg
    IMG_4825.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4826.jpeg
    IMG_4826.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Could that have been when seller tried to clean up with muriatic acid and burnt a hole where plated was gone?

Could that have been when seller tried to clean up with muriatic acid and burnt a hole where plated was gone?
That’s what I was wondering also. It appears the saw had water inside because of the corrosion-like patina on the cylinder, piston, and rusted needle bearing. The piston rings are also stuck all the way around.

I’m returning the cylinder. Thanks for everyone’s feedback. If anyone has a good used cylinder for an 036 let me know. I have a piston ordered already and don’t want to go the aftermarket route.

I agree. By the time you use new piston and rings, it could be an expensive route to go down.

I've had good experience with Meteor aftermarket cylinder and pistons. Personally I always try and buy cylinder rings and piston together (same brand etc.) that way there is more chance they fit.

+ 1 for return with seller paying shipping.

If seller gives you a hard time, post who they are...I don't trust Ebay feedback after learning a seller can ask to have neg feedback simply removed.

If a seller knows enough to state, "No scoring," they know enough that they should have mentioned the pitting.

Roy

I agree. By the time you use new piston and rings, it could be an expensive route to go down.

I've had good experience with Meteor aftermarket cylinder and pistons. Personally I always try and buy cylinder rings and piston together (same brand etc.) that way there is more chance they fit.
I thought about trying Meteor out. I have an NWP kit on my 028s that I’m not impressed with. That’s the reason I wanted to stick with OEM on this saw. I ordered a Stihl piston kit already. That’s the only problem with going with Meteor because they don’t sell just the cylinder.

I thought about trying Meteor out. I have an NWP kit on my 028s that I’m not impressed with. That’s the reason I wanted to stick with OEM on this saw. I ordered a Stihl piston kit already. That’s the only problem with going with Meteor because they don’t sell just the cylinder.

Personally I either follow two routes - keep everything OEM (if the cylinder just needs a clean up) or everything meteor. I have had bad experiences of aftermarket pistons or rings not fitting as well as they should. Of course this could just me me. I've had a meteor cylinder and piston fitted to a Stihl MS460 and is lasted a year of hard use. Please be aware that because meteor are good, china has started copying them! Ensure they are the real thing, made in Italy.

Why are you just looking for a cylinder? From your photos, I'd guess that the piston and rings will be scrap. Pistons/rings get damaged before cylinders.

Personally I either follow two routes - keep everything OEM (if the cylinder just needs a clean up) or everything meteor. I have had bad experiences of aftermarket pistons or rings not fitting as well as they should. Of course this could just me me. I've had a meteor cylinder and piston fitted to a Stihl MS460 and is lasted a year of hard use. Please be aware that because meteor are good, china has started copying them! Ensure they are the real thing, made in Italy.

Why are you just looking for a cylinder? From your photos, I'd guess that the piston and rings will be scrap. Pistons/rings get damaged before cylinders.
That's good to know. I have a 034 with a scored p/c, so I bought the 036 cylinder off eBay. I needed new rings, so I ordered a piston from my local Stihl dealer since it comes with everything except the needle bearing. I didn’t know the condition of the piston I was getting with the used cylinder. The ad said stuck piston rings but didn’t mention anything about the condition of the piston other than that.

Latest posts

Back