new 346xp cylinder damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaver_red_jr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New cylinder arrived with a bent fin and distorted mounting hole (also damaged mating surface adjacent to hole). Damage looks like the result of a pretty good impact, most likely during shipping (arrived in a usps flat rate bag wrapped with one layer of paper, no box). I don't care too much about the fin, but the other stuff concerns me. I reached out to the vendor, but based on reviews, I'm not optimistic about a favorable resolution.

Question for the community - Assuming no replacement, would you go ahead and use it? It looks like a few minutes of filing should take care of it, but it won't be perfect.

PXL_20230811_205124928.jpgPXL_20230811_205134774.jpgPXL_20230811_205920958.jpgPXL_20230811_210024103.jpg

The base appears to be flat - the damage is pretty much isolated on the one corner. I'll see what happens next week, and if getting a replacement is a big hassle, I will install it.

I would get a new one. If they give you the runaround and won’t give your money back, I would file a claim if you got it on eBay. Cheapest place I found is to type in the part number into eBay and either (fix my toys) or (grass or gas) will have one for about 115–$120. If you end up going that route and the cylinder looks usable with some machine work, I’d be interested in purchasing it you want the opportunity to get some money back.

I would get a new one. If they give you the runaround and won’t give your money back, I would file a claim if you got it on eBay. Cheapest place I found is to type in the part number into eBay and either (fix my toys) or (grass or gas) will have one for about 115–$120. If you end up going that route and the cylinder looks usable with some machine work, I’d be interested in purchasing it you want the opportunity to get some money back.
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know how things go. I should have gotten it through ebay - would have better chance of an easy refund.

The vendor (SLE Equipment) couldn't be bothered to get back to me, so I decided to cut my losses and just use the cylinder. I was able to clean up the mounting hole and remove a high spot at the edge of the surface. I also had pretty good luck straightening the bent fin. Will install tomorrow.

Regarding SLE Equipment, I highly recommend never doing business with them. In addition to the bad packing and nonexistent customer service, they didn't have the cylinder kit in stock when I ordered it, and it didn't ship until two weeks later. There was absolutely no indication that it was not in stock on their website.

PXL_20230817_031848273.jpgPXL_20230817_032445640.jpg

The vendor (SLE Equipment) couldn't be bothered to get back to me, so I decided to cut my losses and just use the cylinder. I was able to clean up the mounting hole and remove a high spot at the edge of the surface. I also had pretty good luck straightening the bent fin. Will install tomorrow.

Regarding SLE Equipment, I highly recommend never doing business with them. In addition to the bad packing and nonexistent customer service, they didn't have the cylinder kit in stock when I ordered it, and it didn't ship until two weeks later. There was absolutely no indication that it was not in stock on their website.

View attachment 1105349View attachment 1105350
Looks like it’ll be just fine. I’d run a straight edge across each side of the base to confirm nothing still stands proud around that bolt hole

Latest posts

Back