Chain case/storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My previous chain storage case was this old power tool case.
After sharpening I'd place a zip tie of the chain and sometimes place them inside takeaway food containers, or socks, or pockets ripped or cut from old trousers before putting them in the case. The chains rattled around a bit more than I liked and I was forever pulling them out of their container to see what they were etc.
attachment.php

My new storage box is based on this power tool box I found in a dumpster at work.
attachment.php

Here's how the inside looks. I cut the moulded plastic power tool supports away to give myself basically an empty box.
attachment.php

It's hard to see by there is a perspex lid covering the chains. The white strip of PVC along the front was used because my scrap piece of perspex was not quite big enough.

Here's the inside:
attachment.php

I've made the spaces big enough to hold my 42" milling chains although in his shot I shoved a couple of 25 and 30" chains in to fill the spots.
There's also still some space in the lid for maybe files or other tools.

I'll probably make another one for my 60" chains.

Yeah I know - I should get a life :dizzy:

Last edited:
I have a sort of similar box I use for dry wall screws, but might work for what you do. It has clear cover, and about 10 or 15 removeable yellow boxes, maybe 2.5 x 4 x 3 inches deep. Each yelllow box could hold chains I suppose. I think it was Stanley brand, but made in Israel. Cost about $20 IIRC. I can check when I get back to it this weekend.

edit 2/11/10 took pic but can't get it from my camera to my laptop. It is Stanley, looks sort of like this but 10 bins, smaller handle, no strap, and was much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-CONSUME...emQQptZTool_Boxes_Storage?hash=item45f08e5e4a

Last edited:
Funny, I was just thinking about this, but more along the lines of what sort of containers to store individual chains in, kind of like your original system. I take a tool box cutting -- files, rims, tools in the top and chains in the bottom -- and have been using the boxes the chains come in to keep them separate, but have been casting about for something plastic. Since the assortment I take cutting depends on which saws/bars, I'd like to have, say, three boxes for each pitch/DL I use, and swap them in and out of the tool box as required. Maybe there's a tackle box that would be good for three/four chains.

Jack

Funny, I was just thinking about this, but more along the lines of what sort of containers to store individual chains in, kind of like your original system. I take a tool box cutting -- files, rims, tools in the top and chains in the bottom -- and have been using the boxes the chains come in to keep them separate, but have been casting about for something plastic. Since the assortment I take cutting depends on which saws/bars, I'd like to have, say, three boxes for each pitch/DL I use, and swap them in and out of the tool box as required. Maybe there's a tackle box that would be good for three/four chains.

Jack

The local AC Moore has plastic containers that snap together. They are about 5 by 5 or so. They have a couple different heights.

Very nice set up.

I carry 3 saws and 2 or more chains for each. I carry the spare chains in freezer zip loc bags with the size written on them. tool box is a .30 cal ammo box. Works good for a few chains plus the usual tools.

Harry k

Very nice set up.
I carry 3 saws and 2 or more chains for each. I carry the spare chains in freezer zip loc bags with the size written on them. tool box is a .30 cal ammo box. Works good for a few chains plus the usual tools.
Harry k

I like the ziplock bag idea. Might do that as well :) That will stop the chains from scratching the nice clear perspex top.

i think you need a few more chains,,,,,but that is a great idea thought :clap:

Oh I have plenty more chains - and several more empty tool cases as well!

Last edited:
Nice box. Maybe you could color code your zip ties to indicate chain length!

Depending on the box, user needs, number/type of chains, etc., one could also make space in the box for a few other things (files, gauges, adjusting screwdriver, bar groove cleaner, spare bar nuts, etc.)

Philbert

Nice idea. I use these heavy nylon ditty bags with a zipper and a snap hook made by CLC. The small bags work well for chains 24 and under and the mediums are for 24 and larger. You can usually fit two or three chains per bag and they don't take up much space in the pack if you gotta walk in.:cheers:

Nice box. Maybe you could color code your zip ties to indicate chain length!

Depending on the box, user needs, number/type of chains, etc., one could also make space in the box for a few other things (files, gauges, adjusting screwdriver, bar groove cleaner, spare bar nuts, etc.)

Philbert

This blue Maklita case will be just for 42" chains - but zip tie color coding for cutter profile and chain gauge is an option. :)

Cheers
Bob Loss

Hey MJ, why do you show your location as one place on the WWF and "/" here?

Also
How do you tie a knot in the chain? :)

Just haven't got round to filling out the location bit yet Bob .

I find that tying the knot in the tube , saves the chain the trouble knotting itself :) .

The knot also stops the chain falling through the black hole ....

good stuff

thanks for the advice , much better than throwing them in a bucket. I have colored wire ties , and a dozen old bicycle tubes . I knew their was a better way .

Latest posts

Back