Powerfull Owl nest box install down under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Down here in Oz there's a critter called the Powerfull owl. Our biggest owl up to 2 foot beak to tail.
attachment.php

They are under threat as need large old hollows to breed, these are sadly being lost. I offered to help a chap with great skills and knowledge though his failures and success of how to build and how & where install suitable nest boxes.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I was nice to climb with out a saw, puttin back into the woods something rather than take.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Cor nice bird!!

Nice job and nice pics derwoodii.
:yourock:

Last edited:
Nice job! We do a similar thing here with wood ducks. Since they nest in crotches and hollows in a tree they will also nest in similar boxes. Biggest problem is keeping other animals out of the box while the nest is in there.

Great work! We've built habitat for bald eagles and barred owls and others.

Many clients LOVE to take part in that; will pay for time and mtls.

That is high-class ornitho-arboriculture you did there.

Nice post!
How do you get the birds to stay put though; are they territorial?

Shaun

Yes as they need hollows of certain size to nest and breed they'll seek these and stay on but do need a few chances in a catchment area so can rotate and allow offspring breeding opportunity. We will put 2 or more boxes in area that pairs have been spotted. I'm really just the climber for job, the chap I task for knows the critter well.
The birds pictures are not the target tenant that was Powerfull Owls these are Boobook Owls but we happy enough with result

heres some picture of 4 box site western Victoria last Jan

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back