Milling lumber woodshop style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Couple people have asked me exactly how I mill all the lumber I do. This explains my system A to Z.

Few people can claim they have the ability to walk into the woods, drop a 3 ft diameter tree, buck and limb it, and then mill the logs into rough lumber right there on the spot. I have assembled a system using an Alaskan chainsaw mill, a chainsaw powered bandmill and some custom built equipment that will do just that. There are many portable bandmills on the market today that sit on carraiges or can be towed behind a truck. They have their place, and if I could afford one I would probably own one. However, they all have one major limitation. You still have to get that 800lb log from where it was cut to the saw and up onto the carriage where it can be milled into lumber. If that log is 100 yards deep into the woods and you don't have a skidder or ATV with a log carrier, you're out of luck. The 47lb chainsaw powered Ripsaw bandmill allows you to carry the mill right to the tree, so it is truly portable. Along with two 20 lb aluminum guide beams to guide it down the log you can be milling lumber within 15 minutes of setup. In one day I can drop a tree, buck it, slice it into cants with my Alaskan chainsaw mill, and then use the bandmill to mill those cants into 300-500 bd ft of lumber. No single piece of my system is more than 50 lbs, but both mills and accompanying equipment add up to about 300lbs. all together. When I do have to carry it all back into the woods, I can do it in two trips using a small sturdy wagon.

Husqvarna 365 and Echo 3450
Prior to felling the tree I use the small but dependable 34cc Echo CS-3450 with a 16" bar to clear away brush and open up a couple of escape routes. I fell and buck the tree using a 65cc Husky 365 with a 28" bar. It has plenty of power to drop and buck a 24 inch diameter tree. With a little patience and skill it will also take care of a larger one. After lopping off the big limbs and bucking the log into 8 ft lenghts, I grab the small Echo again to clean up the small stuff. I also use the little Echo for trimming away knots or small defects on a log prior to attaching the milling guide beams where a larger saw would be awkward if not dangerous.

Granberg 36"Alaskan chainsaw mill with Husky 395XP
After dropping the tree and limbing and bucking the log to 8 ft lengths, the first order of business is getting the log into 14" wide cants so the RipSaw bandmill can start making lumber. The best way to do this is to slab off the sides of the log with the Alaskan Mill. If the log is larger than 28 inches diameter, I usually quarter it with the Alaskan. Unlike the bandmill with its thin .025" kerf, the Alaskan mill uses a chainsaw bar and chain with its larger kerf that wastes more of your log. However, the bandmill is limited to a 14" wide cut, and also the bandmill blades wear out quicker going through bark. So, I do the dirty work of getting the log to manageable cants without bark using the Alaskan mill first. I power the Alaskan mill with a 94cc Husqvarna 395XP pulling standard ripping chain around a 36" bar. You lose about 6 inches of bar attaching the saw on the mill, so that leaves me with a max cut of about 30" wide. The 395XP with its 94cc's has the muscle needed to rip that much hardwood. With a lot of fussing, a 30" cut is actually wide enough to slice up a 4ft diameter tree if needed. I rarely come across a tree larger than 36" though, and most of the time I am dealing with trees less than 24" so this capacity mill and saw are plenty. You can get away with a smaller saw in the 60cc range, but it will be slow going on anything over 15 inches even with a shorter bar. All the pros say it's really hard on a small saw pulling a chain around a 36" bar especially when ripping. So, if you're going to be milling logs much over 15" diameter you will need a large saw in the 90cc and above class.

Ripsaw with Stihl MS 361
Once I have whittled the log into 14-inch wide cants, which is the max width cut of my Ripsaw bandmill, I can start milling lumber. A chainsaw powerhead powers the Ripsaw, and I use a Stihl MS361. Its 59cc's has plenty of power to pull the thin kerf 3/4" x 90" bandsaw blade through the log. With a sharp new blade the RipSaw will move through 14-inch wide oak at more than 2 ft/minute. Softer wood as well as less width goes even faster. An 8 ft long 10-inch wide soft pine log would take about a minute end to end. As the blade gets dull, the saw needs to work harder and the cutting speed drops off quickly. That's my queue to change blades. If I keep going with a dull blade, not only is it much harder on my powerhead, but also the blade starts to wander and my cuts are not true. Depending on the species I'm cutting, I get about 200 bd ft of lumber from an $18 blade before it needs re-sharpening. I can get two sharpenings from each blade if I am careful. I've gotten more than 600 bd ft between sharpenings in softwoods. I found that if I keep the blade out of bark as much as I can, it will last a lot longer. That is why I use the Alaskan mill initially to slab off the sides of the log. Sharpening a chain is much quicker and easier than sharpening a blade. Not counting my time, the cost of the blades is the most expensive part of the milling operation at about 5 cents a bd ft.

guide beams
The Ripsaw mill's fence rides on sturdy hollow aluminum 2x6 guide beams that get attached to the top of the log to guide the mill giving me dead-on true strait cuts. Two 5 ft sections come with the Ripsaw package, but if you want longer boards you can attach more sections. They bolt together making one long strait beam. I also use the guide beams when pushing my Alaskan mill down the log when initially cutting the log into 14" wide cants.

small horses, floor jack & ramp
Two small sawhorses along with a lightweight aluminum automotive floor jack and a 2x6 ramp are the system I use to get the logs off the ground and thus easier to mill. I use a cant hook to roll one end of the log up onto the small ramp. This raises the log enough to allow me to get the floor jack under the log and lift it high enough to slip one of the small horses underneath. I then jack up the other end of the log, and slip the second horse under. The log is now up off the ground and much easier to mill. The small horses are sturdy enough to hold a large log and have metal reinforced wooden chocks that fit into holes I drilled into 1/4 inch thick aluminum bar stock attached to the top of each horse. While is it entirely possible to mill the log while it's on the ground and I have done many that way, I was either bending over or down on my knees pushing the mill down the log. This was hard on my back and knees both. With the log up on the horses I am standing and leaning into the RipSaw partially using my body weight to push the saw down the log.

two toolboxes
Except for saw gas, bar oil and the large items, two toolboxes contain all small items needed for the milling operation. One contains tools to service the RipSaw, Alaskan mill and the chain saws as well as spare parts, chainsaw files, spare chains etc. The second is a custom made wooden box that contains all the rest of the accoutrements necessary for safe milling. Chaps, dust mask and gloves, first aid kit, hatchet, small fire extinguisher, and wedges for felling and bucking. All the tools, spare parts and small items are in these two toolboxes. If I keep them organized and stocked, grabbing both assures that I won't forget anything.

portable worktable
I park my RipSaw for changing blades and adjusting fence height between cuts on a simple table using lightweight plastic sawhorses upon which I set a plywood plank just the right size for my RipSaw and a few tools. This little "quick and dirty worktable in the woods" really comes in handy when adjusting equipment or sharpening the saws. I used to just set things on the ground or a stump, but that was hard on the back and knees after a day of sawing.

summary
So there you have it, standing tree to custom milled lumber. I fell and buck the tree, use the Alaskan chainsaw mill to slice into 14" cants, and then use the Ripsaw bandmill to mill those cants into lumber. I move logs around with a cant hook and floor jack, and also use the jack to hoist logs/cants up onto sawhorses for easier milling. Depending on species, terrain, and how far back off the beaten path you need to take your equipment, you can go from standing tree to 400 bd ft of custom sawn lumber in one day.

Is this method a lot of hard work? You bet. Expect to burn some calories. Is it rewarding? You bet. Expect to get excited. I've milled thousands of bd ft of lumber with this method, and every time I open up a log I'm like a kid in a candy store. Is it expensive? Well, depending on species and where you live, milled wet lumber is still a buck or two a foot right off the saw. Much more for quartersawn boards or 14" wide 8/4 and 12/4 if you can even find it. So that 300 bd ft you milled in a day would cost you at least $500 and probably more if you had to buy it. Also, I have milled walnut and cherry crotch figured wood that looks better than stuff costing $30 a foot at the local specialty lumber retailer. So, is my system expensive? An entry level bandmill on a trailer you can tow behind your truck will still cost you the better part of $5000 and a LOT more for a good one. Everything in my system fits in the back of my minivan and all together will cost you about $3500. Around $2500 if you're willing to swap saws between mills. At 300-500 bd ft a day can my system cut as fast as the bigger more expensive bandmills? Of course not. However, I can carry mine right up to that cherry tree that blew down in the back of the neighbors yard. Within 15 minutes I am milling custom lumber exactly the way I want it cut. That is where my system shines.

hey, WoodShop , this sounds very usable, and i'm going to read through you post thoroughly in the a.m. <spent half the night driving back from my sister's place up north and i'm sleeeeeeepy> i am curious if you use a plunge cut to save basewood (because just a notch & back cut can leave long fibers that have been pulled from the heartwood) ... and if so, then it might be worth mentioning to us 'newbies' should we try our hand at on-site milling. i, for one, would LOVE to give it a go !!!

Tree Machine said:
I was one of those people. I continue to be amazed at the amount of talent around here.
I'm one of those crazy people that believes EVERYBODY has innate talent, given to them from above, and it just has to be brought out, refined, and used.

Treechick I learned how to fell working for a pulpwood company as a logger, and we weren't too concerned about leaving too much hinge, and thus pulling fibers from the heartwood of that precious first log. Most of the logs I get now were cut by tree guys and are laying in somebodies back yard or are blowdowns, etc. I do fell in my Dads woods and other places where its safe if I screw up. If I'm leaving hingewood on one side to get the tree to pull that direction, sometimes have to leave a pretty wide chunk, and tearout can't be helped. That said, I'm just a rookie when it comes to felling. There are REAL loggers on this site that do this every day and can tell you how to cut a tree and leave that first log perfect. Maybe some will chime in here and straiten me out.

As for my milling system, ask away. I think it fills a niche between pure alaskan chainsaw milling and a full blown tow-behind bandmill thats only as portable as far as you can tow it. Pushing that Ripsaw down the log is easier than pushing my Granberg, but my alaskan is indispensable in my system. I need it for the wide cuts, and prepping cants for the Ripsaw. Have tons more pics, will post more.

Dave

Hey Dave, I'm curious about the evolution of your current system. Which did you get first, the ripsaw or the Alaskan? I can see eventually saving enough in bands to pay for the Alaskan. BTW, are you getting your bands from suffolk machinery (timberwolf) and what size band does it take. And, how many do you keep in rotation. Also, do you sharpen or send them out?

Your system solves a few problems for me, mainly portability.

Here's the critter

Here's Woodshop's Ripsaw for those of us dying to see the thing.

Hopefully WS will kick us down some action photos

Trimmmed I bought the Ripsaw first and used that for several years, only getting the Granberg two years ago. Before the Alaskan, used to get my logs into cants the old fashioned way, just running down the side of the log ripping freehand. Not only did this result in uneven width cants, but was a LOT of hard work, hard on my back. Keep in mind that your cants can be no more than 14” width… period. 14 1/4 inch and the Ripsaw stops dead in its tracks, like trying to stuff a 1/2 inch bolt in a 9/16” nut. At that point you turn it off, wiggle the saw backwards in the cut far enough to get a chainsaw in there and trim the cant some more till its 14” or less. So I often ended up with cants that were 12-13” because I would err on the thinner side freehanding not wanting to go over 14”. Also was hard to get parallel sides on the cants doing it freehand, as I would inevitably wander in or out. Wasted wood, often the outside of the log where there are no knots, premium stuff. The Granberg solved all that. It gives me dead on 14” wide cants and allows me to quarter the log perfectly. Never thought about the Granberg paying for itself in cost of blades saved, but for less than $200, yeah it sure would, pretty quick if you did a lot of milling.

Have not gotten any blades from Suffolk yet, do want to try some, just don’t need blades now, still have 8 new ones and many ready to sharpen. Found that blades last DOUBLE if not more if you don’t run them through bark. Also depends on species. Milled some Butternut few months ago, and did not have Alaskan with me, went through lots of bark, and the blade kept gumming up, overheating and cutting poorly. Was getting less than 150 ft per. Week later did some Black Ash where I went through NO bark, and got almost 600 ft out of a blade. That was hard Ash… partially dry at that as it was laying on ground for 8 months.

I sharpen using a Dremel tool and diamond stones on a jig I designed to set in my vise. It’s basically a piece of plywood with “legs” to hold the whole circumference of a blade, part of which sits in a little fence where I grind the tooth. I fold the blades in three before hand, and drop them in a bucket of kerosene and let them soak for a while, then unfold and use a brass wire wheel in a drill to clean what little gum is still left after soaking, and I do that as it sits on its sharpening jig where I can pull it around. I get two sharpenings from each blade unless it hits metal or rock, in which case its toast immediately. I usually take 3-4 blades with me. This allows me a few screwups like hitting a nail. You can sharpen in the woods with a stone in a rechargeable Dremel, but its not the same, hard to keep consistent, at least for me.

Tree Machine said:
Here's Woodshop's Ripsaw for those of us dying to see the thing.

Hopefully WS will kick us down some action photos
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=18912
...some "action photos" in this thread above that I posted few weeks ago, pics were too big for dial-up and spacemule graciously resized them and put them back so dialup people could see.

here are a few more from few years ago

ripsaw13 shows my Dad and I supporting the ripsaw just as it exits the cant, in fact blade has still to finish cutting last corner of cant

ripsaw14 is a contraption I designed and built to allow the Ripsaw to mill small logs and chunks down to firewood size if you wanted to. The fence the mill rides on moves up and down in 1/4 inch increments to lower or raise the mill in the log, held captive with sliding dogs made from the hard Black Locust.

We want more. ! You've only scratched the surface of your images. Kick us down, Mr.! And thank you for your detailed writing. You cover all the details, well almost all, and you show how you're making it happen. Kick it in to gear! You have a captive audience.... :cool:

Woodshop,
Thank you for your great descriptions. This has always fascinated me but I always thought it would be too expensive to get into. Since I already own saws capable of running these mills it might be feasible. Really enjoyed your deatiled descriptions and pics. You have obviously put a lot of time and thought into your operation. Please continue to post. Again, thank you for spending the time to illustrate your set-up.
Woodho

I'm with Ho

You're helping enlighten a lot of guys with a truly unique, and do-able system. Feed us some more photos !

Woodshop, Had to copy your "Milling lumber woodshop style".
Thanks for taking the time to explain in detail your refined techniques. Mighty impressive!
How does the chainsaw couple to the Ripsaw? Could any saw be used as the power source? How and what do you use to keep the wood from splitting?

Getting connected

This is the connection between the powerhead and the ripsaw. The 372XP has this 'internal clutch' that's required for the coupling. The splines of the drive in the sw fit with the image here. Then a couple nuts and bolts to hold it together.
attachment_21002.php

woodho, tree, ray, your welcome. Believe it or not, I had to shorten that original first post by about 1/3 because the site has a 10,000 char limit, so I left some things out, shortened other paragraphs a bit. As you can see from my posts, I can get a bit wordy. Ray the Ripsaw comes in two flavors, Stihl and Husky/Jonsereds because the cast piece where the powerhead bolts to the Ripsaw to xmit the power to the bandsaw wheel has to fit the oil exit hole and bar studs exactly, and as you know Stihl and Husky do that slightly different, which is why you can't put a Stihl bar on a Husky saw. My ripsaw was built for Stihl, and thus looks a little different than tree machines in his pic last post. They are both similar though, in that there is an oil channel built into that aluminum casting that sends bar oil down into the spur gear that turns the bandsaw wheel. Even on the lowest setting of my MS351 there is always a little oil dripping from my ripsaw as I run down the log. I don't mind that... lets me know the Ripsaw gears are constantly bathed in oil. So to answer question Ray, on the Stihl version, a standard spur sprocket mates to the Ripsaw, and you can see the Husky version in Tree machines pic. They supply one when you buy the Ripsaw an specify which saw you will be using. Not EVERY saw fits on the Ripsaw, but most big ones do. Maybe they refined their website since I bought mine, but they were not all up to date so just because you don't see your exact saw doesn't mean it won't mate to the Ripsaw. Again, they only make two versions. Example, on the website while ago, they didn't list the MS361 as a saw option, it had just hit the Stihl dealers months before that, I had been using an 036 on the thing, so I called and asked. Turns out the spur gear for an MS361 is same as 044. They were nice enough to just send me one gratis, although any Stihl dealer or aftermarket would have worked, Bailey's has some spur gears I think.

It takes me about 10 minutes to go from chainsaw to Ripsaw. Pop off the chain/bar, unscrew and take off inner side plate, unscrew and remove dog, replace floating sprocket with spur sprocket and mate to saw with standard bar nuts. You're ready to mill.

Ray you asked how and what do I use to keep wood from splitting... do you mean keeping the wet stickered lumber from splitting as its drying?

more pics various ripsaw sessions last few years

ray benson said:
Hi Woodshop,
I have read about using different sealers on the end of the wood. I have saved 4 to 8 ft. logs for a buddy and all but 1 have split or cracked. Thought you might have tried some different sealers.
I am not a big fan of end sealers, but not because I don't think they work well. I have used latex paint with fairly good success. I know of folks who use the wax based good stuff. But if you read the tech papers, they will tell you in order for it to work real well you need to seal immediately after cutting. Apparently as few as couple hours drying is enough to start small cracks forming. Many of my "free" trees are blowdowns or have been already cut into logs by a tree company or power line hack, and have been laying on ground for a bit by time I get to them. To be honest, I get so much wood for free, blowdowns etc... that I accept the slight loss I get from some of my wood degrading from cracking etc. At this point, just don't have time to fuss with that unless its a particularly valuable tree.

Latest posts

Back