066 P&C failure. W/pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
Reaction score
Got this saw today form a member. Great person to deal with!!

Anyway, i asked them if they would include this when they shipped it. Figured it would fit on the shelf of shame.. or box until I rebuild the shelf. :)

CIMG1887.jpg

CIMG1888.jpg

CIMG1889.jpg

CIMG1890.jpg

CIMG1892.jpg

CIMG1893.jpg

CIMG1894.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pics, but is the rest of the cylinder OK? If so, grind the rest of the bridge out on both sides an run it. It would be an interesting experiment. I'm sure it's been done before, but I've not seen it done.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but is the rest of the cylinder OK? If so, grind the rest of the bridge out on both sides an run it. It would be an interesting experiment. I'm sure it's been done before, but I've not seen it done.

you think it would work? If i can find a cheap piston id try it. Or maybe just send it to you.

you think it would work? If i can find a cheap piston id try it. Or maybe just send it to you.

It's definitely worth a try. I was looking at an 084 race saw cylinder that had both transfer bridges removed. I know nothing about race saws so thought this could have been standard practice. That was a cool cylinder!

066 with open transfers?

must be new EPA regs requiring "OPEN" port transfers on one side to reduce emissions by 50%?

It says Mahle on it

My bad, the black junk on the slug looks like the coating they put on the Chi-Com stuff, to keep them from seizing on initial start up.

P.S. The Mahle casting mark must be on the other piece of the skirt you fished out of the case, it's not on the pics you posted. Got a pic?

Last edited:
My bad, the black junk on the slug looks like the coating they put on the Chi-Com stuff, to keep them from seizing on initial start up.

I agree it looks like ****. :laugh: I didn't know until I looked at it and removed some grime.

Could you find a better cylinder than this to practice your hand on? Keep the pics coming!

I have a few that i will get more practice on and have ported a shot one someone sent me. Hacked it up but got me thinking about what I need to do the next time. I think ill use air next time, don't really like the dremel.

Matt - your piston looks almost exactly the same as the one in the pawnshop '66 I just picked up a couple weeks back! I'd never seen anything like it before; upon close inspection mine was caused by extreme skirt wear & the skirt ended up snagging on the exhaust floor on the downstroke. At least that's my most-likely theory for now. Your piston appears to have similar extreme wear between the window and bottom ring on the really broken side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My cylinder is still in A-1 condition though. Not quite sure HOW, but I'm not complaining.

I don't know if you're looking, but I just came into possession of an extra 066 cylinder that looks to be good to go. I'll clean it up and take some photos, but if it looks good and you want it we can work something out. I'm currently expecting a Meteor piston to rebuild the above blown 066, so if I get working on that before you make it to yours, I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
heck i would give a wack at it you can't do anything worse to it then it really is. you could always take the rest of the bridge out and see how it does

P.S. The Mahle casting mark must be on the other piece of the skirt you fished out of the case, it's not on the pics you posted. Got a pic?

I never got the piece that musta been in the case. It was on the piston I had.

there was a #- 54L56 i think

Latest posts

Back