A R E A 51 7901 Work Saw Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here We GO!

I will be enlarging the port flange to match the porting on the muffler and heat shield that I did for the 6401.

DSCF1571.jpg

Modified Lower Transfer Duct.

DSCF1574.jpg

Those "knicks" were actually flashing that I took off. I'm going to look for an abrasive on line that will fit in those ports to smooth out everything. Otherwise, a lot of 600 wet sanding. The right edge on this port was the only one that didn't come out with a clean cut. I tried a climb cut on that side to see if I could control the router for a super clean cut but could not.

DSCF1576.jpg

Last edited:
California's Porting Rock Stars

I want to publicly thank Adam Clarke from RS. He let me work with his crew clearing brush and work off the cash part in the transaction for the foredom set up and was even cool enough to let me have some bits for it. BTW, he's machining his homegrown piston right about now:jawdrop:

Gracias Adán.

I'm taking JJ's advice and not touching the transfers much. I'm just going to use the Foredom and clean up the casting on some of the corners.

DSCF1577.jpg

I'll post as I make progress.

10-4

Al, if you stumble in here, here is what the case ports look like. Nothing like the Husq's canyons. But maybe the MEX PORT helped make a canyon or sorts:)

DSCF1578.jpg

Case port to jug transfer port almost match. Good enough for me.

DSCF1580.jpg

A block I made a while back comes off the shelf.

DSCF1581.jpg

Diff.

DSCF1582.jpg

The 6401 jug will sport a pipe someday.

DSCF1585.jpg

At the time, I was hoping to find/adapt an intake boot to match the I.D. but never bothered to. I'll try for the pipe set-up...someday. The 7900 will remain stock for now. I can't port these ports yet. They look immaculate. I have to try for a base run before porting the ports.

DSCF1586.jpg

Much obliged hombres

One is sanded and the other is not on the edge of the port/cylinder wall. Not worried about beveling as the ring doesn't come in contact with this area.

DSCF1588.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

Elbow grease on the edges that were routered.

DSCF1590.jpg

Which side is finished with the sanding?:D

DSCF1591.jpg

Better picture of the sanding on the edges.

DSCF1592.jpg

Ciesta time.

Thank you fellas, Al, you're welcome and I hear you. What's up with the bump on the left case port. Might be because of the break mechanism.

Modified round file, regular file, 3 angle file.

DSCF1597.jpg

The reason I chop off the end that guides.

DSCF1598.jpg

Original factory porting.

DSCF1519.jpg

CT13P FACTORY PORTING:smoking:

DSCF1601.jpg

DSCF1603.jpg

Taking the rest of the day off.

I'll work on switching the piston this week.

I wood agree. I wonder if the bolt can be shortened or some kind of pin used instead. And then machine that away and fixed, for optimum flow. I'm off to study the IPL.

I forgot to mention, particularly in the 4th picture of the last posting, there in the upper right hand corner of the right port, there is a machining mark. Not sure why that was there?

Like Apple Pie

I heated up the piston a little bit and then went to town.

All I had but worked.

For the wrong snap ring, but it worked.

DSCF1605.jpg

1/4 6mm long socket to push pin through.

DSCF1607.jpg

DSCF1608.jpg

Leaving the other pin on for easy installation next time.

DSCF1609.jpg

Bearings looking good.

DSCF1610.jpg

Seven Niner...you're clear for take off:rock:

Gracias brother!

Took care of the piston with just a few strokes each.

DSCF1615.jpg

Took off casting on top of piston window.

DSCF1616.jpg

DSCF1617.jpg

Ready to :rock:

DSCF1621.jpg

Red sky in the morning...

DSCF1622.jpg

Copy and Paste

Yesterday, I forgot to mention when I was spraying off the jug with a hose, at one point, most of the water was spraying outside the jug and there it was,

the jug transfers doing there thing:D The closest one to the exhaust and smallest, was spraying the water straight across, while the larger and longer one next to the intake was spraying it back towards the intake.

That was cool to see it working like that. I know Slick must have seen the knife edges in the bigger transfer port. I think that helps the charge gain momentum.

I'm off to Los Padres for a big round I know of for a vid.

The buzz in a chilly 29º

I ran it in some punk wood, but the core was solid and it's the only big round I know of at lower elevations. I'm at around 4500'.

It felt good. And to think it's only going to get better is alright with me:clap:

I was surprised at the compression. A harder pull than the 6401 of course, but felt gnarly. It was running rich, so I have to lean it out just a little I think.

How about "stretch" at the end of the vid!?! I forgot it was a brand new chain and should have compensated for the stretch.:greenchainsaw:

8 pin rim. Switching to the 7 pin rim for the cant bar.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid701.photobucket.com/albums/ww11/CHEVYTOWN/VIDS/CHEVYTOWN/6401-7901-CT13P.flv">

Al, I didn't port the exhaust or intake. I'll be changing the numbers, but just by a little bit.

Latest posts

Back