carb adjusting tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently got my hands on a splined type carb adjusting tool that is made to accomadate the carbs with the limiting caps on them.. I have a 455 rancher and my question is will I be able to richen up my carb where it 4 strokes when coming out of my cut at WOT or are the adjusters limited in how far you can turn them in and out.. thanks..

On most homeowner saws, the splines are covered by plastic limit caps. Since you say you are going to use the spline tool, I presume you have removed or will remove the plastic cap. In that case, there is no limit stop and you should have plenty of adjustment available.

Good luck.

Splined carb adjustment needles do not have limiter caps. Their design makes it very difficult for the average (or sometimes above average ;)) person to properly adjust their carburetor. They serve the same purpose as limiter caps, but unlike limiter caps they do not restrict the range of movement.

Splined carb adjustment needles do not have limiter caps. Their design makes it very difficult for the average (or sometimes above average ;)) person to properly adjust their carburetor. They serve the same purpose as limiter caps, but unlike limiter caps they do not restrict the range of movement.

:agree2:

I am familiar with the feeling. I just purchased a 2010 445. It was running to lean for my liking. I went back to my dealer and his helper was a real pain in the ass, telling me about the epa ext. Anyway I spoke to the owner and a week later I had the proper tool. It makes adjustments a cinch. My 445 does not have limiter caps on it. I do not think yours does either.It now 4 strokes wear I think that it should. Cost, $3.35. Ken

It just has some locking mechanisms that are opened up so as to see the slotted end for adjusting the screws with a flat head screw driver but insead of turning these mechanisms lock the adjustment screw in place.. this tool actually pushes these round locking mechanisms that are spring loaded back so the spline tool can slide over the adjustment screw outside edges and allow it to be turned.. I was just wondering if they turned in and out all the way or were limited, but from sounds of it the screws are not limited in thier turning...thanks..

Well I attempted to adjust my carb screws with no luck.. They adjust in and out all the way but I just cant get it adjusted by ear...so I found some info on the factory settings and set them back to there.. L at 1 1/2 turns out and the high at 2 1/2 turns out... it starts and runs fine there but not getting that 4 cycle effect im trying to achieve...when I was trying to adjust the screws I noticed that at 1/4 throttle it would flood itself out and die only speeds I had were idle and WOT... Im assuming the saw is supposed to run smooth at all positions of the throttle all though I have never really payed much attention to it...Is there a standard amount of turns to achieve the 4 stroke effect and have the H and L speed adjustments in tune with each other so that it runs right like a certain amount of turns out on each screw that I can go with that will get me what Im wanting here... and its just a stock 455 rancher by the way...thanks...

P.S. do I have the screws back at factory settings with the amount of turns I specified up above or are they supposed to be at something different...

Latest posts

Back