New 026 mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just modded the choke flap on my 260 to improve airflow as this are is quit restricitve. I started by grinding down the flap till its quit thin. This removes three prongs which really plug up the intake. I will let you know if it gained anything tommorow after I test it.

Last edited:
Well did you try it yet, Ben. I wondered if the flap would self center in the opening without the three guide lugs. I think the opening could be made 75 thou. or so larger too. I am still measuring; haven't started cutting yet. The High speed takes almost 1/8 turn more fuel without the filter in place.

Frank

I havent cut with it yet due to the crappy weather up here in NW Ontario. Hopefully I will get it out tommorow. I did test it several times using the choke to start it. Worked perfect with the lugs ground down.

They're picking on you because they're jealous, Mike.

Or maybe they just skim over what Ben has to say but hang on your every word, hahaha.

Glen

I did a bit of testing last night and was quit impressed with the results. There was a definant increase in performance and the fuel economy appeared to be better as well. This, off course was after I readjusted the carb.
I know its odd to gain performance and fuel economy but from the limited testing(2 tanks) it appears to be the case. Anyone have any ideas as to why this was the case?

BTW. In regards to spelling. My spelling stinks and I know it. My secratary used to rib me about it all the time. I guess I should have spent more time in college attending english class instead of hunting,lol. Of course I never did care for the artsy/fartsys in the liberal arts building.

Ben what I found on Crofter's 260 was with the stock airfilter on it was slow on picking it's rpm's up and didnot sound good to me , it didnot have that crisp engine sound to it , why cause the stock airfilter will not let enough air in to the motor and to make it even try to run you needed to turn the high speed jet way in to lean the fuel down because of no air , and i could not lean the carb down far enough to get it to lean , i turned the high speed jet in all the way and all that happened is it cut faster, so then i took the filter off , b oy you needed to back those jets out then, it sounds alot better , works alot better
so with the airfilter on you most likely are richer even if you set the rpm's with a tack cause of no air, now that you have modded the filter and it is getting more air , it is leaner and has alot more power so you should get more cuts out of a tank of fuel

Ben, it sounds possible that the restriction was acting like a partial choke and wasting fuel as well as hurting performance. There is a winter filter that has fine screen instead of the floc covering for the 026. I dont really like that idea for every day use though it might be the answer for limited use in competition. I might have a go at opening up the new filter tomorrow. Today I was resurrecting a hay elevator.

Frank

I know what you saying, Ed. The filter design on the 026 and 036 is really lame. I wish they would adopt a filter simular to the ones on the 044-066, but scaled to fit the smaller saws.
In stock form this saw will get killed by a 346. Mod the muffler and do the airfilter and it's a differant story.

Mike, do you know that with an 8 tooth sprocket on my 026 I can cut a 6 inch poplar in 1 second! You'd like that up in the tree; you could make the limbs drop flat with no under cut!

Frank

Yeah, Frank, but you've got to use two hands on the 026; at least to initially get the bar set on the limb.

Locoweed said:
Here is a pic of my before and after effort. The first thing to go was the plastic baffle inside the air filter.

Filter

Russ can you walk us through each step of what you have done to your air filter so we understand clearly.

Well, maybe a different picture will help. Notice the little stud that holds the flap up has been cut and the back side of the flap has been filed down. Don't get so carried away that you get the center area of the flap so thin it makes a hole.

The brown stuff on the shaft for the flap is some thick grease I use to try to seal around the shaft where it goes thru the edge of the filter.

Last edited:
So what you did was allow for the choke flap to swing further away from the carburetor throat.  Does it in fact move to that more-open position with the choke disengaged, or does it merely vibrate and flap around now?

Glen

Locoweed,

Those two filters look to be made of different materials. Are they?

r

Latest posts

Back