Saddles & classifying by type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should saddles be classified?

• Your method?

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Climbing line attachment method?

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Weight?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfortability (nut cruncher or not)?

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

Frans

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems to me alot of folks ask about saddles, what are the 'best' and 'worst' and what saddle is the latest and greatest.

I think saddles can be sorted into certain catagories. For example:

Buckle on type:

These saddles are fitted to the climbers waist the same way as putting on a regular belt that you feed through your pants belt loop to hold up your pants.(or hold your cell phone/knife etc.)
-Traditional saddles typically are made of heavier materials such as leather and/or heavier cordura. they are by far the longest lasting saddles but are heavier.
They also provide alot of support for holding a big saw for example.
Some climbers wont use any other type because they like the 'manliness' of buckling on this type of saddle.
I like this type in the winter when it is raining all the time. Easy to get on and off even when wet and muddy.

Step through:

These saddles are fitted to the climbers waist by the climber 'stepping' into the belt (and sometimes through the leg loops as well) and pulling up the saddle to the waist. Then buckling the waist strap.
These saddles are much lighter than any other type of saddle. Usually used by competition climbers or gear heads or progressive climbers.
They offer less leg support in many cases but are much lighter and less bulky which translates into greater freedom of movement.

Their are saddles which are not heavy but not light such as the Austrian Duo which I dont know how to classify. Or the ArborMaster/ Glide etc. These are mixtures of both types of saddles.

Saddle primary attachment points:
-sliding 'D'
-fixed 'D'
Both offer several different types of 'ds' (triangle, delta or D shaped ring) but basiclly the sliding 'd' can also be a 'bridge' which is a strap which holds your climbing biners/snaps.
Fixed 'd' is a sewn loop or triangle which your climbing rope is attached with a biner or snap.

When I hear someone ask what is the best saddle I dont want to say because truly everyone is different and one saddle may work for one person but not for another.
The very best way is to borrow a saddle while being trained to climb or try out one at a show. DONT EVER BUY A SADDLE WITHOUT FIRST TRYING IT OUT. Even if someone you tottally respect says it is the best TRY IT OUT FIRST. Your friend may say their saddle is the most comfortable but when you put it on it may crunch your balls or something.
I have been climbing for years and bought a fully optioned 'Glide' and hate the damm thing (for example).
Frans

I tend to get in the funkiest positions, often don't use spikes where I should and hip a 395 with some regularity. Those three things dictate what I look for in a saddle.

Bosun seat, because I find myself sliding backwards, horse-style on limbs which are horizontal to slightly pitched.

Sliding D for the funky positioning thang.

Something with some beef for toting the occasional 395.

Lotsa places to hook stuff on because I schlepp an entirely unnecessary arsenal of crap up there with me a lot of the time.

Weight means nothing, since there is not even a Kilo spread between the lightest in the world, and the heaviest in the world. 'Weight' comes with how many steel slideline slings ya got up there with ya.

Comfort is everything. Knowing if a saddle is comfortable comes only with having climbed in it, not just trying it out standing on the expo floor or gear shop.

Thanks for starting this thread, Frans.

Jim there is actually more than a Kilo of weight difference between lightest and heaviest, but I'll agree that the weight doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things. I really like the Ness but I did a removal the other day in my old Weaver 1040 and was reminded of how nice that saddle is when your weight is on the lanyard most of the time. I.m still looking for the perfect saddle---or maybe there are different ideal saddles-Some desgns superior for agile climbing, others for long periods hanging and others that shine for spending the day on gaffs.

Awesome thread!

Comfort should be priority one, IMHO.

I actually downgraded from a pricey (at the time) Master II to a simple (in other words CHEAP) 3-D Weaver 'cuz it's more comfy overall for me.

(I'm wearing the Weaver in my avatar pic.)

I've climbed in several saddles, mostly an old butt-strapped pinnical style 2D. I liked OK but it was oversized for me and got uncomfortable after long periods.

Climbed in a Master II for one day and hated it. Climbed in a Versatile one day and loved it. Just bought one my size with bonsun this year and still love it. Not alot of places to hang all the gear I want to take up but never use though.

BAB

Awsomework Tree Machine!

mostly comfort over here, as far as positining goes, i'm adaptable to many dirrerent atachment points, as long it has lots of accsesory loops, I to love lots of stuff with me!

Next harness I might try a sholder strap version, two saws most of the time tends to drag my current one into my hips as it pulls down, a sliding D would reduce this, when in "weird" spots!

A bousen seat will be a must, i tend to hang alot, with a lot of gear on board, it becomes quite the nutttchrusher..

As I sit here I have a pic of the Navaho Boss ( C90 ) In front of me.. It looks more comfortable than the seat in my truck, Ill send it through..Derek..

Glide?

Hello Frans,

Is this the same saddel you dident like?

I kinda, sorta mabey Think I like the idea of how it "pulls" from halfway between the leg and hip??,

"Fully optioned", Did you have the Bosun seat?, Just curious why do you hate it?? Derek..

Went from a Weaver to the Glide. Wanted the bridge. With a saw attached it went to my ankels a couple of not great moments. So, looked at suspenders and saw that the harness was the same price and got that. Boy, saying it was a light saddle it no longer is.

Have my eye on the Tree Magic. or the Butterfly II.

Jack

4 Dee Weaver Leg Strap Saddle- Floating D Rings. Even being a newbie I have tried the Pinnacle (bosun seat) and find that I slide out of the thing way too much. The leg straps give me a more secure feeling and allow for greater mobility..ie stretching legs out for a long reach from leader to leader. just my .02

tony

Hey!

Great saddle!
up.gif

Originally posted by NYSawBoss
here's a pic off of weavers website.

Mine's almost identical; except for being GREEN and having only the 1 center D.

Same waist, same straps.

I want to know what else Butch has tried besides the weaver saddle? I'd put money on it that there is another saddle that Butch would find more comfortable and would make him more productive and happier.

Just trying to help you Butch.

I wuz born at night, but...

The last different saddle I had was the Traverse. It wuz ok, just way overpriced and heavy. I loaned it to a guy and that was the last I saw of it. I wanna get a Ness, next.

A Weaver gives me the best bang for the buck.

Its not about money its about what makes Butch happy. I've had the weaver styles and at the time they were and I knew no better. Then one day my truck caught on fire and I lost all my gear so I had to go out and buy all new. This is when I first saw a bosun seat saddle from buckingham. It was just out. I paid 370 dollars for that saddle at the time. I never regretted buying it. It was the most comfortable thing I ever wore. I brought my climbing to an all new level. I don't use one today but if I had one I would use it from time to time.

has anyone had any experience with the Petzl Navaho saddle. Just wondering because it looked interesting and quite comfortable.

tony

Back