Saddles & classifying by type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should saddles be classified?

• Your method?

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Climbing line attachment method?

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Weight?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfortability (nut cruncher or not)?

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
I sub for a company and the climber there has the petzl navaho, I just asked him today how he can stand that nuttcruncher and he sais for him it is very comfortable and he likes it very much. To each his own:)

I'm an old Master I user!, its been around the bush... so to speak... Anyway I like a saddle that holds me somewhat vertical when under load, and I think that attacment point/load has alot to do with a saddles comfort level, with the Master II, changing the pick up points to further down the leg make it a whole different saddle.

Good solid back support, lots of hook space and long lasting construction... once I'm broken into a saddle, I don't want to have to change for a while. I have a Weaver Sliding D that get's out once in a while if I have to sit still, or hang for some time.

saddle choice is so personal, as we all climb with a different twist, what some people might structure climb, I might footlock, and vice versa... However I think with the change to shorter split tails, ie swabish, distel etc. I think alot more people are structure climbing or foot locking rather then hip thrusting, and so we will see more 'upright' saddles, ie those that keep you hanging more vertical, and allow for that bit more flexabilty when you have to strech to make the next "move"

don't get me started on teh "new regs" don't you know, next year we won't be climbing... we'll be building scaffolding to do pruning!

I looked at the Navaho (full body style) the other day and pondered it... looks comfy, but maybe not all that long lasting.

Truth is looks like we won't be climbing on knots! (legally) and two climbing lines at all times.

Havent heard anyone talk about the 'Brydan'
I used one for some years and liked it alot.
It is one saddle that has permanent shoulder straps. Single attachment point.
I know that Gary Arbrojena still uses one today.
they can be bought through Sierra Moreno...

By the way I have used and enjoyed my Ness New Tribe saddle for a good many years. I really like the people and it is one manufacturer that will customize your New Tribe to however to desire.
The saddle "X" (stands for bad business IMO)
Tony Sackett designed this saddle and used the New Tribe leg pad configuration. Viola told me Tony never asked her if he could use the design. Seems pretty low to me all he had to do is ask. On the other hand I liked the x and if it were not for the silly HUGE back pad I might try it out. I can just see myself in 110F heat with that saddle. Maybe I could market it to get rid of 'love handles'
Frans

Frans

Hey Mike
unfortunately for us, and not for the rest of Canadians (yet) the problem is confined to Ontario... Ministry of Labour investigation ongoing....

The thing I hate about new saddle purchases is having to go mail order. Buying pulleys and such is one thing, but buying a saddle and not being able to try it is another. I went through this several years ago when I bought my Master I saddle...........too much back and forth BS.

When I got the B'fly II, that I am currently using and like very much, it was purchased after several try ons and a long discussion with Tom Dunlap.

While Sherrill does seem to have a good thing going with Vermeer
they don't carry all of the saddles that are on the market.

Originally posted by Stumper
Don't you remember Mike Mass's ladder pics? As for Tinkerbell--we've all heard about Mike's Pink tights. :eek:
I get it...that happened in the same county as me. :D

I see didn't mention that I let you try my saddle on and change all the adjustments around. People wont think you got coodies form me Rich.

Just kidding.

I have to agree with Rich. It would be nice to try something out before you lay out the money for something. This is one of most important piece of gear we have next to the underwear we wear.

Originally posted by BIG JOHN

"I have to agree with Rich. It would be nice to try something out before you lay out the money for something. This is one of most important piece of gear we have next to the underwear we wear."

Rio holeproof undies for me...never had any problems with them!!

The couple of places over here that used to let you try on a harness in the shop and hang from it ( skyhook) have had to change their policy...

Insurance dramas prevent them from letting me try it on, in the shop...Whats the world coming to?

Ps Thermals in winter!

Back