Nice little knot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nevemind, I was trying to attach a video, but it's 2.56mb and the attachment limit is 2mb. Let me see if I can scale it down some how.

Okay, I think we got the video to work, all credit give to the TreeMachine!

You can see the pics at another site, if you'd like.

Nick's new hitch

Today I used Nick from Wisconsin's example of girth hitching a ring with webbing. I used 3/8" Yalex instead of webbing, and put a biner on the other end. Here's a 1.7 meg slideshow of the process beinning to end. What a cool hitch !

This is going to be my main redirect sling, I determined that after using it today.

So has this hitch been around, or is Nick the Mommie ?

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment_20906.php

I found out it is called the Bull hitch. Much like the cow hitch, but more stubborn.

love
nick

i think the Cow and Clove have a simple grace of their own. Especially a Clove as a crossed turn in the first stage, then finishes with the exact same pattern only loaded different to make a hitch. For a crossed turn pulled back wards is a hitch.

The first turn in a Clove is a crossed turn because the working/bitter end lays across the standing part, but in the second turn, the standing part seats on/pinches the working/bitter end to secure. A crossed turn with bitter atop standing will slip fairly freely, but as the pull is reversed to make a hitch from crossed turn, the standing part can seize down on top of the bitter/working end to secure. So a crossed turn (or backhand hitch of cow) is made to reduce force, then the completing hitch to secure by forcing the reduced pull to function to stand on it's own bootstrap, so it can't go nowheres.

Summarily, a Cow, is a Backhand/Muenter Hitch in it's first turn (to reduce forces through friction), then the second turn/trap is a hitch proper with the standing part atop/pinching/bearing down on the bitters/working end to secure/not slip(ideally). i think a clove can be pulled in less directions securely than a Cow, a Cow only having one weak direction, backyards away from it's Muenter's bight.

Dr. Nick; how do ya think that Bull would do replacing a Cow for mounting (getting Kinky...) a Porty, pulley etc. to suitable anchor etc.?

I will let Dr Nick address that, and add my opinion. It would work great if you had no intent of untying it. Once loaded, very, very secure. Does not loosen up or move or shift. Just a great hitch if you want permanence, but it can be coerced to loosen up with some bending and working, you can get it undone

The sling from the previous video I've been using since last Winter. It's been my favorite redirect sling, ever.

Fair point; lots of conditions to change forces as they run through the same pattern and special needs. This might be good in mending tool with throwline, where it might have better chance of slipping away from Cow etc.

Security in small slippery cord, or other (wet/ boating?) conditions needing more of the security 'value' .

Change in breaking strength do to more bends would depend on if the extra bends were placed in a more forward /harsher loading position becasue of a small host/mount compared to size/stiffness of line i think. On a larger mount, the position of weakness from torquing the force thru the extra turns would be buffered by friction, so the bend around the mount recieving the more direct force of pull would determine the remaining % strength, not the less loaded bends of the extra turns i think. Unless, at the nose mebbe we have no teepee/ the 'sling' lays flat/leveraged in choke bending both flat against mount more; then at that angle the extra bends might get loaded more from leverageing line more perpendicular to it's initial pull(from overhead support etc.).

Mike makes the point of weakening of the hitch due to the bends in the rope. I think that would be an actual issue if you were doing heavy rigging. The would exist the possibility of failure due to the forces overcoming the strength of the hitch at those bends. This may be at severel thousand pounds at which point caribiners could be subject to failure also.

If we just talk about it in practical terms of using it for a redirect, and hanging little more than your body weight on it (or rigging down a limb that equals your weight), I just see that a 6,000 lb tenex is going to stand up to that OK.

I don't recommend tying this bull hitch to a limb to rig it down, no way, because you set the bull hitch where you want something to STAY. But to rig a 10 mm around some hardware, it is just a killer hitch. The pic below of cow hitch vs bull hitch on a ring, there on that piece of hardware, there's no clear advantage whatsoever. On the biner, a very clear advantage.

Mike mentions it being a bulkier hitch.
What is the advantage over a girth hitch, if it's bigger....?
Bigger.... measurably, yea, but not in a way that translates to being even noticable, practically speaking. It stays put, that's an advantage. Coolness factor, fer sher. Basically, another hitch to add to your repertoire of knowledge.

who can tie the beer knot ? no cheating and looking in any books ??????
In tube webbing. And it would be capitalized, "Beer", since it's named after a dude named Beer. That would be, 'Mr. Beer' to you.

I've got that one shown on video, using the chopstick method. Got that one in stills also.

You might be askin, "Hey Tree Machine, hWhy? would you have the tying of a knot, captured in both still photography and in video?"

And I might answer. "Well-a-b'cause, my friend, it one of the more then 3 knots that I regularly use." Cow hitch / bull hitch is one, and either the Beer knot or the water knot for tying webbing slings and rigging ascenders. And then choker, but that's not really a knot when used with eyed terminations and a biner. Ok, just two knots, and variations of those. Actually one hitch with variations on it that I might use with rope or line, and the one knot I use only for webbing. I rarely, rarely need anything beyond those.

Last edited:
TREEMACHINE grandious .... you are certainly correct ...i rarely find nyaone who can tie a BEER knot .... so fess up arborist do most of you all know this wonderful knot...? and tree machine ...tell the boys how much the strength is increased by using the BEER instead of the water hmmmmm? knot..dark

I don't know the strength increase, but it's a cool knot to tie and bombproof. Used for tying the two ends of a length of webbing together to make a loop (sling).

the BEER knot is IMO the cutting edge of ingenuity ... how did he ever come up with that ...... check into it ... strength of near 40 % dark

Latest posts

Back