coil for 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob E

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for a coil for an 031 Stihl. Good saw, just need a coil for it. I would rather buy new, but will settle for used.
I have heard that they no longer make "new" coils for the 031. Is anyone aware of any other models that the coil would interchange with an 031??
Thanks.

Bob,

You're going to have a hard time finding coils for this saw. I have a spare myself, but am keeping it for my 2 031s. I don't even know if it works.

I assume you need a coil because you lost spark. If you have points ignition, generally the coil is not at fault. You can get an Atom module and wire it in to replace the points. I have instructions for doing just this. Took me about 2 hours, start to finish. $15 worth of parts. Saw runs great.

Search the chainsaw forum. It has been discussed in depth.

Chris B.

cbfarmall,

I have an 031 and to be honest I have not had it far enough apart to know if it has conventional or electronic ignition. What I do know is that when it is cold it will start pretty well and runs like a scalded dog for about 5 minutes, then all of a sudden it dies and there is not getting it started until it cools back down.

What do you think.

Thanks

Jerry

I have access to a lot of 031 coils, but first read my reply to your PM on this subject - you may not need it...

Be careful replacing the points with the Atom module -you NEED to change the flywheel OR change the position of the existing wheel . If not, you'll be way too far advanced and your muffler will glow red, for a short while...

Bob,

You're going to have a hard time finding coils for this saw. I have a spare myself, but am keeping it for my 2 031s. I don't even know if it works.

I assume you need a coil because you lost spark. If you have points ignition, generally the coil is not at fault. You can get an Atom module and wire it in to replace the points. I have instructions for doing just this. Took me about 2 hours, start to finish. $15 worth of parts. Saw runs great.

Search the chainsaw forum. It has been discussed in depth.

Chris B.
Hello,u say u have instructions for wiring in a atom module ,think u could send them to me ,one fellow says u need to relocate the fly wheel to make it run ok .thanks Duke, [email protected]

Latest posts

Back