Stihl 250 or Dolmar 540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need to get a new saw. I want to stay in the $300 to $350 dollar range. I'm considering the Stihl MS 250 and the Dolmar PS 540. Local Stihl dealer has the 250 for $309 with 18" bar. Dolmar dealer also has the 540 for $309 with 18" bar. I realies the 250 is a home owner line and have seen some not so favorable comments about it. What's the real deal on the 250. Is the Dolmar 540 more inline with the PRO Stihls? If so I would consider the $309 a good price, seeing that the 260 pro runs $460.

I like the big dealer network that Stihl has but then there is two Dolmar dealers close to me also. One about 8 miles away, been a Dolmar dealer for 18 years. The other is 30 miles away and been a Dolmar dealer for 10 years. So hoping parts and service would not be a problem, if I chose the 540. I know for certain it will not be a problem with Stihl. Any recommendations on this decision would be appreciated.

Since you have a nice batch of dealers nearby, I'd say it should come down to what feels better in your hands. Both are solid saws with proven trackrecords.

Also, what is your dealer quoting for a 5100? Mine quoted me $360 w/ 16" b/c. If you could get in that price range from your dealer, I'd say to just cut the BS and get the 5100 instead.

Why do you recommend the 5100? I see it's smaller cu. in. but higher rpm and hp but a pound heaver too. Is it that much better then the 540. Also it looks like some new fangled design where as the 540 looks more traditional. Is the 5100 a new/unproven saw? Is the 540 an old proven vet? Sorry about being so ignorant on these saws:dizzy: I've been using an old Poulan 306a for years for occasional use (downed tree) but I have a 10 acre plot I would like to clean up and gather some firewood, for a new wood burner. Not sure the old Poulan is up to it or me for that matter, lugging that beast around. LOL

Actually the PS5100s is .4 lbs heavier than the PS540 but it has 1 more horsepower and much smoother. Newer chassis design better features. The PS460 from Dolmar is actually the same horsepower as the PS540
Scott

Thanks for the replies. Any owners of the 250 that could comment on their experience with this saw would be appreciated. I'm leaning toward the 250 because my Stihl weed wip is a great product but the Dolmars seem to get a lot of praise. Just trying to figure out who makes the better saw in the $300 to $350 range, from people with more experience then me. Or is it Husky? A friend has a newer small Husky that I got to use for a few hours but I was not all that impressed with it, not sure what model number. I believe he paid about $200........May be a big difference, stepping up to a bigger Husky, don't know.

250?

I have an MS 025 Just an older 250 It has an 18 inch bar I use it for a little firewood and clearing fence rows. I also gave it a workout helping some folks cleanup after Rita. It is what it is, head and sholders above the Junk saws Poulans and their ilk & it can do a full days work but not every day all year long. The folks here state the 18 inch bar is a little big for this saw but it works well for me if the chain is sharp that seems to be the most important thing to remember. It is not as strong as a 361 or even a 290 but if you compare it to other saws for power to weight it compares very favorable even when compared to the much loved MS260. It is a very good homeowners saw but not for hard everyday use.

Hope this was of some help

Thanks, for the write-up on your 250, it does help! Going to stop at the local Dolmar dealer today and check out this 5100. He's the closer of the two Dolmar dealers. He wanted $359 for the 540 and the other dealer (30 miles away) wanted $309.....I would rather buy from the close one but then wouldn't use $50 in fuel going to the other one. Are prices negotiable with these dealers on chainsaws? I would like to see if he'll match the other dealers prices or at least do a little better. Might piss him off too:chainsaw: I'll report back on the Dolmars. Anymore comments are definitely welcome.

I have an 025 w/ 16" bar running .325 RS chain. I'd recommend it in an instant to anyone looking at a 45cc saw. I can't say whether it's equal/better than the others you're considering as I've not owned or run one.

Looked at the 250 at my dealer yesterday and it's $289 w/ 16" bar and chain of your choice. $10 more for the 18".

16" seems ideal (or a 14"). I run an 18" on my 361.

I have used the 025 / ms250 a lot and really like it, and can recommend it any day. Also got to run a 5100S yesterday that out-cut my "stock" (minor muffler mod and detuned for longevity) 026, but... it was ported, had a honking great tuned pipe sticking out of the side and was running at about 15,600... Fun saw (but really damn loud!!!), cut great... :)

Ok went to the Dolmar and Stihl dealers today. Dolmar dealer didn't have a 5100s in stock but says he can get it in a day. He did have the 540 and let me run it. It seemed like an excellent saw too. Took 4-5 pulls on choke before burping and then another 3-4 before starting. My Stihl weed wip starts quite a bit easier than that but I could live with that. Although dealer claims that's just because it's new. Ran great right away (no warm up) though. Instant acceleration and blazed right through a 12-14" log he had out back. On the 5100s he says he'll go $400 out the door, tax included and extra chain.

When at Stihl got to check out the 250, he didn't have a 260. Didn't get to run it though. He had a full house, so I didn't bother asking him Pretty sure their would be no problem (running wise) with the Stihl, so wasn't to worried about it. He wants $309 for the 250 with 18" bar. Will not throw in extra chain, so by the time I buy that and tax will have $350 in the 250. Says he can get the 260, would have over $500 in that with tax and extra chain. Thinking that 5100 is sounding like a really good deal (4bhp, 11.2lb. and 14,500rpm) for $400 with extra chain. Only $50 more than the 250. Think I'm going to call the Dolmar dealer back and tell him to order it.

Any last suggestions or words of caution before making that phone call. I did mention the deal on the Dolmar to the Stihl dealer to see if he would budge on price, extra chain etc. and all he said was sounds like with 14,500 rpm it would wear out pretty quick. Any truth to that?.....THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

Call the Dolmar dealer, buy the 5100 and don't look back. It sounds like your Stihl dealer isn't the greatest anyhow if he doesn't stock a 260, and thinks that the 5100 will wear out at those RPM's. That is what they are built to run at.

It sounds to me like you have a much better dealer with the Dolmar, and a much better price for more performance. The price sounds like about what a few have reported on here for the 5100, which is good for the amount of saw you are getting.

I just bought an MS 250 with tih RS chain and am really happy with it. Highly recommended for my homeowner use. I have the 16 inch bar and that is about right for my use. Your Stihl dealer does not seem to serious about getting your business if he is not even willing to throw in an extra chain. For him to go make up an RS chain for you cost him peanuts.

The 025 although alot better saw then a Poulan, is not much of a saw. Take a look at the Husqvarna 350. It has much better features than the ms250.

I don't know if you've already made up your mind on the Dolmar, but I have run the 025 w/ 18" bar. Great little saw. I have really pushed it to it's limits and I have cut reams of firewood with it. The qualifier there is that I'm not a pro and don't cut everyday. It sure felt liek a pro saw after the Homelite and Macs I had run before. I ran a friend's MS260 before I sold it for him. I got $306 for it for him on Ebay, very lightly used. MS260 should go for around 400ish plus tax. It will swing an 18" bar a little better than a 250 and can carry at least a 20" bar. It uses the standard mount too, which means you ahvea much wider range of choices for cutting attachments. Is there any other Stihl dealer you can talk to? Seems $500 is kinda high for teh 260, but I really am not sure. I think you ought to be able to get the 250 for slightly less than $300, he oughtto swap teh cahins for you...I really don't see why not.

Thanks gentleman for all the great advise! I had done a search and found the comparison chart, pretty neat stuff. Thanks for the link anyway. There is two local Stihl dealers, both have the 250 for $309 and the 260 for $459. I went ahead and called the Dolmar dealer yesterday and told him to order the 5100. So will see if he can get one, with all the Dolmar/distributor/marketing bashing going on:dizzy: He had at least 8-10 saws, 3 weed wips and concrete saw etc. The Stihl dealers around me have no more inventory then he does. Just so happens he didn't have the 5100 in stock. Just like the one Stihl dealer didn't have the 260 in stock.

He's (the Dolmar dealer) been in business for 26 years and selling Dolmars for 18. Seems like a gentleman, took his time with me (but don't they always when your talking about buying) let me try out the 540, which I was VERY impressed with and even had a few Stihls laying around he was working on. Now the Stihl dealers on the other hand do seem a little arrogant as others have mentioned. It's kind of like: Here's our GREAT saw. You want it? You have a minute and a half to decide or your wasting my time and they walk away from you. I know Stihl makes a good product. I own a FS55 weed wip with bicycle handle bars, blade & cord, strap etc that has been very reliable but does have slow throttle response. After the first few uses I was ready to throw it in the river. Took it back to the dealer and he says "nothing I can do about it, you can thank the government for imposing emissions".

So needless to say I left very frustrated. Then a buddy said take the screen out of the muffler and that really helped but it still is not what I would call high performance. I do have to say though it has been very reliable and starts easily and has never let me down. Anyway, I guess that is why I'm not 100% sold on the Stihl and am willing to give Dolmar a chance.

We'll see how it goes, hope I didn't make a mistake. I'll report back on all this, length of time to get the saw, dealer setup and of course my impression of the saw. Thanks again for all the replies and private messages!

Fastcast said:
I own a FS55 weed wip with bicycle handle bars, blade & cord, strap etc that has been very reliable but does have slow throttle response. After the first few uses I was ready to throw it in the river. Took it back to the dealer and he says "nothing I can do about it, you can thank the government for imposing emissions".

Next time you need a new weed whip you should find a Shindaiwa dealer and get the largest brush cutter that you can afford. Put a heavy duty line trimmer head on it and don't look back.

To be fair to Stihl and your "weed whip", you did buy the smallest and cheapest straight-shaft model they sell.. You can't expect "High Performance" from it... and, you did have a 7 day "take it back, no questions asked" guarantee from Stihl.. There are at least 6 more powerful models available.

Latest posts

Back