pine pitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRN Tree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
what if any way is good for getting pine pitch off ropes lanyards etc. Did two the other days and stuff is pretty dirty.

Just did one yesterday ... what a gooey tree! Instead of using my good lanyard/flip line, I cut 10' off an older climbing rope and used it. Dbl fishermen knot to a carab on one end and used a VT to adjust it on the other with a figure-8 as a stopper at the tail. The rope did get full of pine pitch and was useless to use again. I just tossed this rope (& vt rope) into the garbage and all is good again! HC

Just keep climbing, its no big deal. I have climbed pines, balsam firs and spruces, getting pitch on me and my stuff. It rubs off over time.

clearance said:
Just keep climbing, its no big deal. I have climbed pines, balsam firs and spruces, getting pitch on me and my stuff. It rubs off over time.

clearence is right, just keep climbing....solvents, dirt and anything you put on a rope may and probably will deteriorate your ropes and deem them unsafe.

-mike

I found this somewhere, the author was Rb and he'd know, it's for getting pine sap off rope ...

Very very hot water and citrus cleaner worked for me...but it took several dunks in a 5 gallon bucket

Hope ya dont mind Rb.

Thanks I'll most likely keep using them and try to wear it off over time. Doesn't the citrus soap hurt the rope od no. Windex for the saws never heard of that but I'll give it a try they got pretty gooey to.

Thanks, Eric. That pitch coating episode was unlike all others, and rendered the rope, tresse cord, and flip line unusable. Immediate washing was the only option, and did no harm to anything. I tried to find the pics in my files to no avail....

I let it wear off if the build up isn't too bad.
To get it out of your hair or off your hands use vegetable/olive oil or mayonnaise.

I'd not muck with the ropes but a sure fire way of cleaning pitch from anything else is to use cheap margerine (rub it on and in then pp towel), then soap and water, works on hands, tools, dogs, and kids/pets hair, trust me it works fine I live amongst the pines (works on car windows etc too). Dunno why but it does. :)

Boy, i can picture it now - my wife comes home from work in the afternoon and there i stand in the kitchen, naked as a jaybird and holding a jar of mayonaise in one hand and a stick of margarine in the other - all lathered up on my sticky spots!!!!! hahaha:hmm3grin2orange: I'd just let it wear off of everything - if a shower won't take it off, next days work will!!:chainsaw:

I did a 60 foot white pine a few days ago. Just strip it up and block it down.
I never tied my climbing line on, just used 2 old buckstraps and tossed them in a box for the next pine.

I use peanut oil to get pitch off of hands/arms. Just dont bring it in the shower with you.Learned that the hard way. Ive seen guys use gas on their hands, peanut oil is a little better for the skin.

JimL said:
I did a 60 foot white pine a few days ago. Just strip it up and block it down.
I never tied my climbing line on, just used 2 old buckstraps and tossed them in a box for the next pine.

Climbing without a climbing line is very dangerous and not advised. Realize the thread is not about safety but this is not an accepted practice and is very dangerous.

why Is it dangerous? I just left it hooked on my saddle, I was using both buckstraps while cutting. Standing in spurs the whole time. Could have done it spurless if I had left some stubs to stand on.. Tied in twice while cutting. Not sure how thats dangerous..

JimL, its not so much that its unsafe for you, but it could be a real pain in the butt for someone else. IF something happens and you need to be rescued, time to get you down IS very important for YOU. Having to set a line for you adds time. Ya never know when sh!t is gonna happen, but it will and the better prepared for it you are the better off everyone will be. Just my opinion.

JimL, at first I though you climbed with no rope. I have removed many trees, strip and chunk, the same way, except I just use one steelcore. I have climbed 100"+ conifors strip and chunk, got to where it I could fall the butt log, cut a V, thrown my rope down, tied a tautline and come down. Now I climb with a split tail and rope on the ground, in a bag, no removals. This way is good cause if you are cut or hurt you just snap on your biner and come down asap. But it is also a good thing we have a groundsman to get branches off our ropes. If there is no one competent to free your rope or it is going to get pounded to snot, what you are doing is good, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back