more PPE questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood junky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have yet to "use" my ppe i was wondering what are the functional differences between 6 and 9 ply chaps- other than 3 more plys of kevlar

does it stop the chain faster?

I asked at LSS about length they said these will fit---but what is the factor on fit? where should the bottom cuff hit?

are full wrap and safer or is it a gimmick?

Kevin

wood junky said:
I have yet to "use" my ppe i was wondering what are the functional differences between 6 and 9 ply chaps- other than 3 more plys of kevlar

does it stop the chain faster?

I asked at LSS about length they said these will fit---but what is the factor on fit? where should the bottom cuff hit?

are full wrap and safer or is it a gimmick?

Kevin
I think 6 layer are for 50cc and below and 9 layer are for over 50cc. I use the wrap chap 9 layer from Stihl as they offer me the best protection. Mine come down to the heel of my boots. Don't want them any they might cause me to trip.:cheers:

Hi Kevin,
Touching yourself with a saw is sacreligious, however it happens.
Don't let the saw become anything more than an extension of your hands.
Kinda like Scissorhands. A saw is meant to cut wood fibre and nothing else.
Get the chaps that ride a good 6" above the ankles. So you don't snag them on the underbrush
John

I have my chaps that run to the last eyelet on my boots-

if I lace the last buckle snug I am clear of brush.

it seems like there are alot of folks like myself that have either just begun cutting or have done it in a very unsafe manner.

I am of the latter group- so my intention with this thread is to make sure some good info gets out about proper set up with PPE.

I feel like we can get the output of a modded 460 to the tenth hp but other than you must wear PPE there is little discussion.

So the fitment list is as follows:

Full wrap 9 ply to the break of your boots

good rough leather palmed gloves

boots

glasses I use some clear glasses that I ride motorcycles with Oakleys I believe.

Ear protection Muffs?

feel free to add on.

Kevin

wood junky said:

boots

glasses I use some clear glasses that I ride motorcycles with Oakleys I believe.

Ear protection Muffs?

feel free to add on.

Helmet. And a first-aid kit/fire extinquisher in a fanny pack. I like mesh goggles as glasses always fog up for me. Maybe you can see my earplugs in this pic too. I wear plugs and a seperate helmet/goggles in timber. And a forestry helmet cutting firewood.

attachment.php

All of the Above, Plus ___.

PPE: all of the above. Plus----
First Aid Kit = Extra absorbant/thick Kotex (a.k.a. "tampons). Damn stuff do absorb blood well. :heart:
P.S. Duct tape to tie the extra-thick-super-absorb pad to that bleeding femoral artery :heart: :heart:
Think about it: how much time do you have to play games with those silly "first aid kits" in the field. Big gash, little time, big pad, bleeding , pressure. :heart:
Most of my guys threw out their silly little "aid packs" and 'borrowed' the one size fits all pad. And it's supposed to be "sanitary". Fits nicely into that tiny little so-called chaps pocket. Ready to roll....................:biggrinbounce2:
I'm dismissed....again.

I cut alone a lot, but most often within a few hundred yards of my house. My wife keeps telling me I need to get a whistle or air horn. I think she's been reading the timber felling book by Dent that I have in the bathroom.

Does anyone actually do this?

b1rdman said:
I cut alone a lot, but most often within a few hundred yards of my house. My wife keeps telling me I need to get a whistle or air horn. I think she's been reading the timber felling book by Dent that I have in the bathroom.

i always carry moblie phone with me while cutting, but far as whistles go, none...

for a emergency bloodstopper i carry a 10" x 8" x 2" thick "stomach dressing". its HIGHLY absorbsent (used for dressing large wounds) and can be doubled up. To secure it i use the flat "rubber" band physio exerciser thingies, they apply pressure as they are wrapped on, without the operator needing to remember it. You just grab the stomach dressing pad, slap it on the wound, wrap the rubber sheet over it a few times and tie off. Plus the rubber sheets (6" wide x 30" long) come in BRIGHT colors, which can alert your fellow workers that somethings wrong.

wood junky said:
I have my chaps that run to the last eyelet on my boots-

if I lace the last buckle snug I am clear of brush.

it seems like there are alot of folks like myself that have either just begun cutting or have done it in a very unsafe manner.

I am of the latter group- so my intention with this thread is to make sure some good info gets out about proper set up with PPE.

I feel like we can get the output of a modded 460 to the tenth hp but other than you must wear PPE there is little discussion.

boots

Ear protection Muffs?

feel free to add on.

Kevin
oh gah!!! how 'bout long enough to cover your knot on your laces, me, I like my gear over my boot top, above my ankle, no chips in da sox, bah. 9ply at -5F, 6ply half chaps for summer, cotton 1 ply for workin oin the barbyq. We done flogged this topic before ? no?

Ear plugs and muffs, helmet face screen, hot water bottle, diaper. :D

b1rdman said:

Absolutely, nice double-tone whistle pinned on my collar so I can use it without my hands (kk, I mean if their dirty, not bucked off, guess then 'd be k too tho). Learning my kid to whistle loudly without fingers, a good thing imo. no jk. really. Tweet codes be good too.

logbutcher said:
First Aid Kit = Extra absorbant/thick Kotex (a.k.a. "tampons). Damn stuff do absorb blood well. :heart:
P.S. Duct tape to tie the extra-thick-super-absorb pad to that bleeding femoral artery :heart: :heart:
Think about it: how much time do you have to play games with those silly "first aid kits" in the field. Big gash, little time, big pad, bleeding , pressure. :heart:
Most of my guys threw out their silly little "aid packs" and 'borrowed' the one size fits all pad. And it's supposed to be "sanitary". Fits nicely into that tiny little so-called chaps pocket. Ready to roll....................:biggrinbounce2:
I'm dismissed....again.

I should have elaborated. I carry the same thing as my "first-aid" kit. I've got a roll's worth of duct tape wrapped around the fire extinquisher, box of Maxi pads and a roll of dressing to add as well. I don't carry a typical first aid kit, with band aids and tweezers and that. That stuff is good for bee stings, but no saw bites.

Big Difference

Pardon me,
logbutcher said:
but a Tampon might be better suited for emergency use in case a hunter mistakes you for a deer. There is a big difference between a "Kotex" and a "Tampon." :dizzy: You will never forget the difference if heaven forbid you bring the wrong box home.:bowdown: You will find yourself making another trip back to the store.:bang:

This is Really Good stuff

Urbicide said:
:dizzy: You will never forget the difference if heaven forbid you bring the wrong box home.:bowdown: You will find yourself making another trip back to the store.:bang:

:censored: You might as well have not worn your leggins at all and cut your leg off @ the knee :confused: :confused: :confused: Dont even try to figure out the ultra thins and the Maxi's Have freakin Wings now Go figure....:spam:

chaps not needed

President Bush doesn't wear chaps.

Did President Reagan?

I say you do what most Americans do. Don't get involved in unnecessary stuff.

I just started packing a Bloodstopper bandage in my pack since I had to get two different sets of stitches this year. First cut 9, second 21 (horizontal mattress)
I guess my saftey stuff at work is, Oakley M Frames w/clear lense, ear plugs, large cotton liner gloves, Labonville inside chaps and my full brim Mac-T.

Latest posts

Back