2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Have not updated in a bit... No idea how much squash picked and given out so far, probably close to 20 pounds and 10 pounds in our freezer, probably close to 10 pounds of green beans given out and another 5 vac sealed and in the freezer. saturday and sunday I dug red potatoes up, ended up filling 3-1/2 5 gallon buckets...white potatoes are about 2 weeks out. I am pretty happy about that harvest from a 20 foot long by 4 foot wide patch in a ditch. Monday I planted the patch with red/green okra and chinese/thi/korean long beans and placed their cages...next I need to change the 1/4" irrigation drip lines locations for the new plants and shift the rest to the sweet potatoes that are taking off. Picked my first tomato yesterday, looks like 4 more will be ready by sunday. I'm hopeful for the cowpeas to start going crazy soon, they seem to be the slowest growing crop other than the peppers then they started growing vines exploding in growth! Puppy picture included for cuteness factor
IMG_1846[1].JPG
IMG_1847[1].JPG
IMG_1848[1].JPG
Resized_20210721_112045.jpeg

untreated seed will not germinate in the ground!!!!!!!!!! Too many bugs/bacteria/etc. in the ground! I got stuck with that untreated crap for 2 years in a row and finally figured out the problem! IF it aint treated-- dont waste time planting it!!!!!!
The problem is, no one around here sells treated seeds. There use to be a grain elevator here that downsized to selling feed, grass seed, hay, straw and garden seeds. They had that red colored seeds. Never new what that was just planted them in the family garden as a kid.

untreated seed will not germinate in the ground!!!!!!!!!! Too many bugs/bacteria/etc. in the ground! I got stuck with that untreated crap for 2 years in a row and finally figured out the problem! IF it aint treated-- dont waste time planting it!!!!!!
Do what? I must of missed something. What kind of seed are you referring to?. None of the seed I save is treated and it has always came up. Now I know some seeds such as crown vetch like an innoculate to be added during planting. but I have sprayed it thru my hydroseeder without the innoculate and got good stands.

Do what? I must of missed something. What kind of seed are you referring to?. None of the seed I save is treated and it has always came up. Now I know some seeds such as crown vetch like an innoculate to be added during planting. but I have sprayed it thru my hydroseeder without the innoculate and got good stands.
That's what I was thinking. As far as I know nothing I've ever planted has been treated - I know I've never planted any of those seeds that have a pink/red coating.

I will admit, I have bought special seeds off ebay and other places that didnt come up. I can only suspect that the seed hadnt been taken care of when harvested maybe stored in a damp environment or could of been ran thru a dehaydrator to dry and they let the temperature get out of control. I dont have a answer, but a seed contains everything it needs to germinate and the biggest killer of seeds is the addition of urea nitrogen during planting. How many corn farmers apply fertilizer in the row when they plant their corn. i am pretty sure most farmers will band the fertilizer beside the rows and not directly in the row during planting, but the novice, hobby farmer, will drop the fertilizer right in the row with the seed as they plant. And they think the more the better. Urea will gas off as it goes thru the conversion from Urea to nitrate, to nitrites, to ammonium and this conversion can occure in just a few hrs as soon as the urea comes in contact with moisture. The gassing off can kill upto 50% of your seed in as little as 24hrs, and if you are one of those folks that think more is better, that 50% kill rate will only go up.

Table 6: How urea and ammonium nitrate placed with seed affect corn grain yield​

Pounds of N per acreUrea yieldAmmonium nitrate yield
0 lbs137 bushels per acre137 bushels per acre
5 lbs60 bushels per acre142 bushels per acre
10 lbs36 bushels per acre143 bushels per acre
20 lbs33 bushels per acre92 bushels per acre

I was talking about packaged seed from the stores guys. Home saved seed is another game and results are different, it may or may not grow depending on the soil nasties at planting time.
I save a lot of my own seed too but it gets treated before it goes in the ground. I will not plant any seed not treated. ---- too many nasties in the ground waiting for it to be planted.

sis never looks at the packages before she buys them and I have told her a million times, DONT BUY UNTREATED SEED!!!!!!!!!! --- guess what,---yup more untreated seed comes and more bare rows in the garden cause she wont pay attention to anybody!

This year most all of the seed that I planted in the greenhouse to test did grow but what went directly in the ground didnt.

a couple pix of part of the growing stuff.
onions need weeding , cabbage hoed up and spuds hilled so far. Gotta do some replants due to varmints invading the gardens.!

Attachments

• 20240523_100245.jpg
    20240523_100245.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240523_100146.jpg
    20240523_100146.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240523_100135.jpg
    20240523_100135.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
I was talking about packaged seed from the stores guys. Home saved seed is another game and results are different, it may or may not grow depending on the soil nasties at planting time.
I save a lot of my own seed too but it gets treated before it goes in the ground. I will not plant any seed not treated. ---- too many nasties in the ground waiting for it to be planted.

sis never looks at the packages before she buys them and I have told her a million times, DONT BUY UNTREATED SEED!!!!!!!!!! --- guess what,---yup more untreated seed comes and more bare rows in the garden cause she wont pay attention to anybody!

This year most all of the seed that I planted in the greenhouse to test did grow but what went directly in the ground didnt.
I honestly don't know where I could buy treated seeds anymore.

I can get them,---just have to look at the packages before I buy them. I see treated and untreated in the same basket too, so gotta be careful and even then who knows IF the seed is actually treated! That opens up another can of worms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The treated seeds are marked with a red dye.

For the most part, I don't use treated seed.

OK, I first want to say my memory is not what it used to be. So, I apologize for asking you all again. I've had trouble in the past getting my pea/bean/squash seeds to germinate when planted directly in the grown. I'm getting my Pole Beans and Alderman Peas in late this year and I want to get it done the first time.

Anyone ever soak seeds before planting. These are untreated seeds. I think I soaked seeds overnight and the skins sluffed off. I'm planting later today so I'll soak them a maximum of 6 hours while I wait for anyone's help.
Only seeds I have soaked were asparagus seeds. Make sure you are planting at the proper depth. Most are 1-11/2 inches in depth. No deeper. Black colored green bean seed will germinate better early in cooler soil temperatures than white seed. I try to buy treated seed due to the fungicides and insecticides applied to the seed which helps the seed against soil pest and diseases in the soil.
These guys sell both treated and untreated seed. https://twilleyseed.com/catalog

Only seeds I have soaked were asparagus seeds. Make sure you are planting at the proper depth. Most are 1-11/2 inches in depth. No deeper. Black colored green bean seed will germinate better early in cooler soil temperatures than white seed. I try to buy treated seed due to the fungicides and insecticides applied to the seed which helps the seed against soil pest and diseases in the soil.
These guys sell both treated and untreated seed. https://twilleyseed.com/catalog
Don't bring up Asparagus. I dug a tiller wide trench 10-12" deep by hand long enough for 20 plants. Clay base in my soil and heavy rains this Spring caused the trenches to flood. Most of the plants didn't survive.

I save a lot of my own seed too but it gets treated before it goes in the ground.
I got to ask, What do you treat your seed with, and how do you do it. I know when treating seed with things like mycorrhiza, You just dump the innoculant in the planter with the seed, In my case where I was hydroseeding everything, I just dumped the innoculant in the water with the seed and sprayed everything on the ground.

Back