2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 9N needed a lot of work, I just got a TO30 Fergy going to do the snow. We'll see how it does with the plow and harrow this spring.

I started asparagus from seed first time last spring. Plants stayed in pots until fall, then got temporary homes in the garden until the new bed gets prepped this spring.

1 asparagus.jpg

1 aspargus roots.jpg

1 asparagus starts.jpg

1 asparagus transplants.jpg

new thread, just in time! 2024 Gardens.

it happened like the suddenness of a broken shoelace... one day, no spuds shoots (yet) then yesterday, first day in the new year... new discoveries. first sightings - spud sprouts. put in 2/3 weeks ago. 8! some with green on them, shoot starts. all 'seed spuds' about size of tennis ball.
P1010013.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010015.JPG

right there at the back edge of my brussels patch. they are doing well. no doubt will get nice plants. always do. but 'sprouts? 🤷‍♂️ prob not, never do! but that is no reason not to try!! :cool:

P1010012.JPG

repotted 3 to take up to the farm, to see how they mite do bit further N and in colder weather...
P1010030.JPG
P1010036.JPG

new thread, just in time! 2024 Gardens.

it happened like the suddenness of a broken shoelace... one day, no spuds shoots (yet) then yesterday, first day in the new year... new discoveries. first sightings - spud sprouts. put in 2/3 weeks ago. 8! some with green on them, shoot starts. all 'seed spuds' about size of tennis ball.
View attachment 1140872View attachment 1140873View attachment 1140874

We usually have frost in the soil until April here. Won't see spud sprouts until May

I had a revelation when I hurt my leg and couldn't dig all my spuds last fall. They usually go into a root cellar here for winter, and I save the best for spring planting.

Last winter the basturd voles didn't get them overwinter, and all the ones I left sprouted in spring. I'm trying a fall planting again this year, intended.

Afternoon fellas, I hope the new year is treating everyone well. Had a few extra days off for the holidays and spent some time doing an inventory for this year. Ordered a few more flat trays and some more containers, some of which are back-ordered til' who knows when. garlic is in the ground, onions are ordered, all seeds are on hand with the exception of Little Marvel Peas, which i can usually pick up local.
I have been in the process of converting more and more of my garden to containers, so I'm on the hunt for more plastic 55 gallon barrels.

What variety of asparagus MP?

Not sure? From a patch my parents started before I was born, an heirloom? It has huge thick spears the size of your thumb but still tender at picking size.

I had good germination even though the seeds were two years old. I'll plant most of the remaining ones to see if they still germinate. I saved new seeds from this fall.

Picture of some of the stalks this fall with red seeds/berries. The other "weed" in the picture is a mint plant that shares some of the space with the asparagus. Not a great picture but was just trying to show the berries.
1 heirloom asparagus w:seeds.jpg

Not sure? From a patch my parents started before I was born, an heirloom? It has huge thick spears the size of your thumb but still tender at picking size.

I had good germination even though the seeds were two years old. I'll plant most of the remaining ones to see if they still germinate. I saved new seeds from this fall.

Picture of some of the stalks this fall with red seeds/berries. The other "weed" in the picture is a mint plant that shares some of the space with the asparagus. Not a great picture but was just trying to show the berries.View attachment 1141391
More than likely Mary Washington type. Been around for over a century. Most of the newer varieties are the allmale type and don't produce seeds.(berries). There is a plant growing at dad's farm that he says has been there since he was a kid and he's 93.

More than likely Mary Washington type. Been around for over a century. Most of the newer varieties are the allmale type and don't produce seeds.(berries). There is a plant growing at dad's farm that he says has been there since he was a kid and he's 93.
Why don't you guys just transplant the old original strain?
This is the way to go on mushroom mycelium, apple tree cuttings and so much more. I understand many other plants improve generations by going to seed in your local environment and soil. Is this like that?

Why don't you guys just transplant the old original strain?
This is the way to go on mushroom mycelium, apple tree cuttings and so much more. I understand many other plants improve generations by going to seed in your local environment and soil. Is this like that?

This part of the old patch has survived and still produces with virtually no upkeep/attention. I really don't want to disturb the intertwined root system.

I have enough saved seed to plant a whole garden. Plan is to establish a new large patch and/or add to the existing ones (other varieties) which need some rehab. I'll be putting the beds in with lots of rotted manure, saved hardwood ash to raise pH (they like slightly alkaline >7.0) and add potassium (K), and bone char for phosphorous (P). Asparagus likes P and it needs to be incorporated during bed prep.

The fields here have several wild plants that always reappear in spring. I know their spots and always mow around them.

Time to inventory seeds.

Yep, gotta do that myself.

May have to look at my seed starting setup too. It was getting tight for space last year and this spring I want to try starting brussels sprouts too.

Hoping to make some big changes in the garden this year. Last year was a year of construction, this year is going to be a year of planting.

Back