2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prob loose some stuff....
View attachment 1143391
P1010005.JPG
P1010013.JPG

sugar snaps! nice harvest yesterday...

are you going to get the zero temps that are on the way/
no. no -0-! not even with winds!. but, 40 out a bit ago, feels like 25f to me! brrr
we will do fine. :) lots of firewood and plenty of beer! mite take all my sudz out of
refer... and put outside close to house! lol, i :heart: a really cold one!

some garden covering should be beneficial. other? 🤷‍♂️ lost cause! :cry:

30-36 hours at or below freezing! generally, gardens down here don't fare well at 18f!
but i have seen broccoli do very well 23-28 temps for a few days or so...

speaking of lost causes... prob pull my okra next week. start over in the late spring...

:givebeer:

With the sub freezing temps coming I figured I better get what I could from the 2023 patch yesterday. View attachment 1144573
right! we did that, too yesterday. all in all, got a nice harvest!!
P1010005.JPG

mostly sugar snaps on L with limas picked, too. even the small pods worth anything got picked. will make a fine side with dinner. and peas n pots on R. couple of English pea pods in there, too!

zzzzxfs.jpg
looking good there, Farmer Steve!! i have had brussels fresh off vine. small, but sweet. i assume ur's are, too. sweetish taste that is.

i am limited to grocery store's. but not all have the same quality. Kroger continuously has really good sprouts! and the price is like the temps outside this morning... falling! $1.77/# Saturday. headed back in a day or so for more. 1/2 prev price!

P1010008.JPG

nobody here complaining! sometimes i even get sweet ones.

but we are giving our brussels a good run for their money! all tucked in for the hard freeze ahead! 🤞 will it get cold? lol, freezing mist this morning... white flakes... grow zone 9. and snow all over ground up in Euless, TX this morning! Dallas area...
P1010007.JPG

Yep, gotta do that myself.

May have to look at my seed starting setup too. It was getting tight for space last year and this spring I want to try starting brussels sprouts too.

Hoping to make some big changes in the garden this year. Last year was a year of construction, this year is going to be a year of planting.

I used to start all my seedlings inside my house , but it was cramped with the many flats and I only had one large grow lamp with eight 4' florescent lamps.

Last few years I've helped out a friend with a large wood heated greenhouse. In exchange for some work I get to start more seedlings than I need. A lot of the work is tending the wood furnace and processing the firewood, the rest is planting seeds and tending to the plants once germinated. We also exchange surplus potted starts. My friend sells both vegetable starts and flowers. He makes more money on the flowers.

We won't get started until sometime in March. It's late April before it's safe to put out any very frost hardy plants and a danger of frost until the end of May.

1 greenhouse plant starts.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG
DSC_0086.JPG

I’ll be doing butternut squash, peas, and sun sugar tomatos. Last year I built a trellis using 2 cattle panels and 6 t-posts that doubles as a winter storage shed. Sun sugar tomato’s are the best IMO. My tomato plants were as tall as me last year, the trick is just miracle-gro and manure with a layer of rock at the bottom of an old cracked black stock tank.

I used to start all my seedlings inside my house , but it was cramped with the many flats and I only had one large grow lamp with eight 4' florescent lamps.

Last few years I've helped out a friend with a large wood heated greenhouse. In exchange for some work I get to start more seedlings than I need. A lot of the work is tending the wood furnace and processing the firewood, the rest is planting seeds and tending to the plants once germinated. We also exchange surplus potted starts. My friend sells both vegetable starts and flowers. He makes more money on the flowers.

We won't get started until sometime in March. It's late April before it's safe to put out any very frost hardy plants and a danger of frost until the end of May.

View attachment 1144688View attachment 1144691View attachment 1144695View attachment 1144696
Nice variety of maters. I don't have Abe Lincoln's, but I do have Amish Paste and Box Car Willie's!

Not my personal greenhouse, my place of work!
What made me build my greenhouse last year actually, because I worked here the summer before last.
But been back here workin since November now after their other fella left for the winter season.
Well into the negative ° celsius temps and still growing beautifully! Gotta keep that boiler fed that’s all 🔥😉
All lettuce in this system beside a couple test troughs of different crop. We Do do microgreens in trays on a lit shelf, but we just ate up a full system for those yesterday.
Put out over 1000 seedlings just this past thursday! All hydroponic too, so pretty neat to get to see how it all works and operate the facility for them!
Lookin forward to spring to get back into the home greenhouse growing again!

C163F854-F677-4F76-A8D9-2B02276442AB.jpeg
B1AB15C4-FEBC-489C-A73A-F4E5ADAFDE3A.jpeg
2B15A9C3-D066-4D9C-896E-DEF72B016ED7.jpeg

3B9B9B5C-DA25-4A1A-A5FC-5BB4B25D13FA.jpeg
5BDB7E2B-04C5-4550-A588-FDCE150E0343.jpeg

Got enough used materials for a 12' x 24' x 7' greenhouse on hand,---NOW to get decent weather to put it up! -- -5 to -15 is NOT decent weather! LOL!
not decent here past 3 days. now weather alert extended for another 24 hrs!
over 12" some areas. jet stream caused this over our narrow area.

no need to water garden past couple days...

Nothing but rain here so no planting anything yet. I do have a problem I need to deal with. This question is more geared to the preppers among us. I have for years keep storebought canned food in my wifes she-shed. Last week it got down to 5F, supposed to be minus 10 windchill. Last time I remember it getting that cold around here was in the early 1980;s. well, all my canned food froze. Nothing swelled up and burst, and I probably wouldnt of even known if the wife had not decided to make a pot of chili. Dear wifey decided to do some reading on the subject and read that canned food that had frozen is supposed to be bad for you and is now wanting to throw everything out. I aint so sure I want to do that. There is several hundred dollars of can soup, vegetables, juice, and I dont know what else. I also suspect we have eaten frozen canned food winters past and I aint got sick from it yet. I need some opinions before The wife fills the dump

We get seeds from the internet sellers,----sometimes it dont grow either. Seed quality the last couple of years has gone to the dogs! You might try Jungs Johnnys, or places like that. We used to get good seed from them.
I'm looking for Alderman telephone pea seed. Last year I got them from Reimer's, but they didn't germinate. So, I want to try someone else. Where do you all buy your seeds from?

Our lettuce seed comes from Johnny’s, good germination rate for planting 800+ at a time, not many times have I seen very many rock wool pods not grow, may get about 10 duds out of a seeding 🤷🏻‍♂️
See there is some from veseys we have in the mix there now too

Latest posts

Back