2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for Alderman telephone pea seed. Last year I got them from Reimer's, but they didn't germinate. So, I want to try someone else. Where do you all buy your seeds from?
Checked the places I buy from but no one carries them. Not familiar with the places that popped up in a internet search

Checked the places I buy from but no one carries them. Not familiar with the places that popped up in a internet search
I've got enough of the old 2022 seed they sold me last year. They wouldn't budge on a compromise; I order them and bean seed and they ship free. What turds.
I plant two 16' rows along a single 6' high trellis (one row on each side). I'll try to start half the remaining seed in 1" cell packs and plant the other half directly this Spring. Hopefully, I'll get enough to germinate this time to have enough produce to save seeds for next year.

While we're on the subject of seed, what kinds of POLE beans does anyone plant? Last year, I got them from the same vendor I mentioned above. After two or three replants, they produced very well. I have tried Blue Lake in packets from the local stores, but germination was iffy. So, I was looking at other vendors that had the Alderman peas and any variety of pole beans.

I plant my grandmaws Lottie Murphy beans. They are similar to a whitehalf runner. My grandmaw grew them from the 1920s and saved the seed. Most of the old folks and many of the younger ones that live around where she did still grow and save the seed. I dont have many saved right now because I didnt grow any last year or I would send you some.

I plant my grandmaws Lottie Murphy beans. They are similar to a whitehalf runner. My grandmaw grew them from the 1920s and saved the seed. Most of the old folks and many of the younger ones that live around where she did still grow and save the seed. I dont have many saved right now because I didnt grow any last year or I would send you some.
Maybe next year.

Edit: Are they a POLE bean?

I've brought up the subject of pressure canners before and I do understand the two types, Weighted and Gauge. Your desired pressure is maintained on a gauge pressure canner by regulating the heat input. They also have a 15(?) psig poppet valve to relieve pressure above a safe pressure. I believe someone here recommended this type over a Weighted canner.

I'm window shopping and found mostly Weighted pressure canners for sale. In the St. Louis area (altitude) I require an 11 psig pressure. Someone here mentioned I can achieve this pressure by making the weight set at 10 psig rock faster via more heat. My Mom had one like this with the single weight that you rotate for the desired pressure. I'm guessing that's what she did.

The point of this all is the lady in this video says you can't use the gauge reading on a Weighted canner because it's not accurate. See minute 5.0 on the video. It's the second time she says that.

BS?

PS. Can you use a 15 pound weight on a Weighted canner to seal it and then control the pressure to 11 psig as you would on a Gauge canner by regulating the heat?

I've brought up the subject of pressure canners before and I do understand the two types, Weighted and Gauge. Your desired pressure is maintained on a gauge pressure canner by regulating the heat input. They also have a 15(?) psig poppet valve to relieve pressure above a safe pressure. I believe someone here recommended this type over a Weighted canner.

I'm window shopping and found mostly Weighted pressure canners for sale. In the St. Louis area (altitude) I require an 11 psig pressure. Someone here mentioned I can achieve this pressure by making the weight set at 10 psig rock faster via more heat. My Mom had one like this with the single weight that you rotate for the desired pressure. I'm guessing that's what she did.

The point of this all is the lady in this video says you can't use the gauge reading on a Weighted canner because it's not accurate. See minute 5.0 on the video. It's the second time she says that.

BS?

PS. Can you use a 15 pound weight on a Weighted canner to seal it and then control the pressure to 11 psig as you would on a Gauge canner by regulating the heat?

A gauge canner is just something to go wrong. Do you calibrate and if so how?

My Grandmother and Mother taught me canning. USA Mirro Matics

I only use the ones that you watch and adjust the flame to keep pressure on the mark! The weighted ones are a joke!!! lol!

Do you calibrate it yearly as that's the only safe way? Who calibrates it for you?

I contacted USDA and they couldn't find a place near me that does calibrations.

I just got a free Pesto .canner on CL. It has gauge, but also a 15psi jiggler. I trust the jiggler, had to spend on a gasket

It compliments my Mirro Matics

1 pesto canner 2.jpg
1 pesto canner.jpg

Do you calibrate it yearly as that's the only safe way? Who calibrates it for you?

I contacted USDA and they couldn't find a place near me that does calibrations.

I just got a free Pesto .canner on CL. It has gauge, but also a 15psi jiggler. I trust the jiggler, had to spend on a gasket

It compliments my Mirro Matics

View attachment 1147882View attachment 1147883
Dang! Why can't I run into a free scrounge like that! :laugh: What pressure does your area call for? Mine is 11 psig so I would have to use the 10# rocker and kick the heat up.

Maybe next year.

Edit: Are they a POLE bean?
They will climb to the top of a tall pine and need to be picked at least twice a week. I picked 6bushel off a 25ft row, let everyone that would pick get what they wanted and they where still blooming till frost.Taste best if cooked with streaked meat.

While we're on the subject of seed, what kinds of POLE beans does anyone plant? Last year, I got them from the same vendor I mentioned above. After two or three replants, they produced very well. I have tried Blue Lake in packets from the local stores, but germination was iffy. So, I was looking at other vendors that had the Alderman peas and any variety of pole beans.
Kentucky Blue and Blue Lake pole are my favorites. I know a guy that probably saved enough last fall to share with friends, if ya' catch my drift.

BS?

My mother always used the ones with the weighted jiggler, and I don't ever remember her having issues. My wife has canned for 45 years and refuses to use one with the jiggler. Ours is a Presto with the gauge and we've never, ever had a failure.

We have used one with the weighted jiggler for all of our married lifes. As best I can remember, my Momma and my Grandmomma used the weighted canner as well. A couple years ago, I did buy one of those instapot canners. We never could figure it out. It burst jars in the canner, everything came out with a scorched taste, we ruint more food that we preserved. After two seasons, we got rid of it and bought a new Presto canner with the jiggler. The only reason we bought the insta pot canner in the first place was because I have a glasstop stove and my my wife grandmaws, at least 60 or 70 yr old jiggler canner had a warped bottom. It still works good on a regular eye type stove, just not so well on a flat glass top. And it might work well on that to, I just dont want to take the chance of cracking my stove top.

Weather is supposed to be dry this next week. I am thinking about going ahead and planting my potted taters. I want two crops this year so I got to get started early. Now I know that is pretty early, but I think Jan and feb are the only winter months I havent planted a crop, and early march seems to do very well. Of course I know there is one here that says March wont work, but I pay him no attention.

Latest posts

Back