2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How tall are you making the beds? I have 3 old ones here that I made with 3 rr ties high and they did work but keeping water on them was impossible in hot weather so we quit using them. Might try again this year and top off the dirt in them with compost and plant potatoes or something in them.

How tall are you making the beds? I have 3 old ones here that I made with 3 rr ties high and they did work but keeping water on them was impossible in hot weather so we quit using them. Might try again this year and top off the dirt in them with compost and plant potatoes or something in them.
My garden is on a slope down hill so I terrace it at stages. The edge of the bed by the berry trellis is ground level and then the opposite side is 11"-12" tall. This is my lettuce/spinach bed. I'm making 18"-24" deep beds out of ibc tote bladders to try sweet potatoes.

Just a suggestion based on some of my mistakes. When making a raised bed or using pots or planting bags, one needs to provide a way for the planters to retain moisture. With grow bags and pots, I have found that not placing any holes for water to drain less than about three inches up from the bottom. This seems low enough to prevent the planters from becoming water logged or soggy, yet also provides space that will allow water to collect and wick upward to the plants. I dont really have an ideal on how to do this with raised beds. I suspect some plastic liner in the bottom of the raised bed would be effective, but I havnt tried it so just a guess. Another ideal I think might work is placeing a bucket above the raised bed filled with water. Place a piece of cloth in the bottom of the bucket and let it extend outside into the soil. The cloth will act like a siphon hose and gradually drain the water from the bucket into the soil. I have seen this work for small pots and plants, so again I can only guess this will work on a larger scale like a raised bed. Depending on size of the raised bed, it might take more than one bucket of water, and more than one wick per bucket, one would just have to play around with it to find out what works. Since you already have the raised beds, I would try the bucket trick, if it works great, report back and let us know. If it dont work, you are not out anything, and let us know that to. Just a sample below.
1710090632950.png

Just a suggestion based on some of my mistakes. When making a raised bed or using pots or planting bags, one needs to provide a way for the planters to retain moisture. With grow bags and pots, I have found that not placing any holes for water to drain less than about three inches up from the bottom. This seems low enough to prevent the planters from becoming water logged or soggy, yet also provides space that will allow water to collect and wick upward to the plants. I dont really have an ideal on how to do this with raised beds. I suspect some plastic liner in the bottom of the raised bed would be effective, but I havnt tried it so just a guess. Another ideal I think might work is placeing a bucket above the raised bed filled with water. Place a piece of cloth in the bottom of the bucket and let it extend outside into the soil. The cloth will act like a siphon hose and gradually drain the water from the bucket into the soil. I have seen this work for small pots and plants, so again I can only guess this will work on a larger scale like a raised bed. Depending on size of the raised bed, it might take more than one bucket of water, and more than one wick per bucket, one would just have to play around with it to find out what works. Since you already have the raised beds, I would try the bucket trick, if it works great, report back and let us know. If it dont work, you are not out anything, and let us know that to. Just a sample below.
View attachment 1160902
Interesting. I didn't know about the bucket thing. I've made raised beds from the ibc bladders like this:
Trouble uploading photos. I'll try tomorrow.
But on my second set, I did drill the drain holes 2" up from the bottom on the sides.

Attachments

• 1710112584073.jpeg
    1710112584073.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 0
IF you can access you beds with a hose then drip lines are you best bet.
I have a buddy with a green house that built his own drip system. He took it a little further than just a drip. First he placed a tote in one corner of the greenhouse. In the tote he filled it with fish (bream). He added a small pump that pumps water to some float trays. The water flows from the float trays to a bunch of hanging 5gal buckets that are all connected together with pipe. These buckets all have drip tubes that drip into his pots. The pots all set in a tray that holds water and and redirects the water back to the tote. I am sure I missed a few details, maybe I can go visit and take a few pics. He sure grows a lot in one small greenhouse. He eats the fish and they reproduce in the tote.

got a few things coming up. cold blast coming down from ca. this weekend from the sounds of it. Gotta drag a small heater in the greenhouse and run it at night I guess.

Attachments

• 20240314_150344.jpg
    20240314_150344.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240314_150359.jpg
    20240314_150359.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240314_150406.jpg
    20240314_150406.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240314_150412.jpg
    20240314_150412.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I have some ambitious plans for my garden.

I'm eager to expand my vegetable patch. Thinking of experimenting with heirloom tomatoes and exotic peppers this year.
Also planning to devote a section of my garden to herbs. Fresh herbs can elevate any dish, and I can't wait to have an abundant supply of basil, thyme, and mint right at my fingertips.
Last, but not least, new furniture. Mine is old and looks dreadfully. Thinking of buying something simple, not very expensive. I've been eyeing this rattan dining set. The price is great, and I've read that rattan is weatherproof. So that's a plus because I know it will last.

I ordered from Johnny’s seed for the first time and have started black magic jalapeños, Baron pablano, and Arriba from that order. Others I got from Duffy at Superhotchiles, Pasilla apaseo, Freeport scotch bonnets, Pasilla Mixe, Moldavian Lemon, Maules Red, Hidalgo Serrano and Mini piperka. Brother in law is giving me a few bohemian goat peppers in trade for a couple of my plants I’ve started. Had some Red savina seeds that were given to me a couple years ago and they all came up. Tomatoes, wife wanted Cherokee Purples, Granny Cantrell, and I wanted super Sioux and some black cherry so we got them started along with lots of varieties of basil. Wife likes the basil, dries what’s left at the end of the season and we put it on pizza and ham biggie sandwiches. Can’t wait to get some things in the ground and share pictures. Enjoy everyone’s garden pictures and can’t wait to see this years! Happy gardening everyone!!!

I planted my "supposed" to be Cabbage plants a few days ago. I kept thinking these plants dont look like cabbage and I know I picked cabbage from the plant trays at the garden center. Turns out they where broccli. Dont look like it is going to matter as something is eating my plants one at a time. I did go back to the garden store and bought some cabbage plants, Havent set them out yet as I am still trying to figure out what is eating the broccli. I placed a security camera pointing down the row of broccli plants, but havnt gotten any pic of the varmit yet. I may have to rig a net over the plants until they get big enough to survive what ever is nibbleing the leaves off and cutting the stem at ground level.

My additions this year are a blackberry and a raspberry. The fruit trees from last year look ready to go.

The cheap white plastic lattice shades a concrete slab below a deck.

80-vine_1_11822907133e0aa46f0da41ea497678b710c0fc7.jpg

Now that I look at it, probably should shore up this corner of the slab.

80-vine_2_6d1f3ffe23e7e51521ed32e194d1e95ec253a457.jpg

I'm planning on keeping the fruit trees well pruned since I don't have a lot of room for them. I don't have a lot of flat property for planting.

80-vine_3_c229f813411ae4a2e7c33e876b00c88e934773d2.jpg

You may want to look into espalier fruit trees. Lots of yield in a small space and the ability to shape your trees to fit your location.

https://www.google.com/search?q=esp...ome..69i57.23700j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I planted my "supposed" to be Cabbage plants a few days ago. I kept thinking these plants dont look like cabbage and I know I picked cabbage from the plant trays at the garden center. Turns out they where broccli. Dont look like it is going to matter as something is eating my plants one at a time. I did go back to the garden store and bought some cabbage plants, Havent set them out yet as I am still trying to figure out what is eating the broccli. I placed a security camera pointing down the row of broccli plants, but havnt gotten any pic of the varmit yet. I may have to rig a net over the plants until they get big enough to survive what ever is nibbleing the leaves off and cutting the stem at ground level.

Might be cut worms and rabbits.

Since I had good luck with what I planted last year, I'm going to try the same this year - but - I'm waiting until after the farmers spray their crop fields and that should be any day now, depending on the weather.
As soon as I see them in the field, I'm covering my garden spot with plastic. Will plant about a week later.
Keeping it simple again with a couple of the heirloom tomato plants, sweet potato plants, and I'll direct sow a couple hills each of zucchini and yellow squash. I have a narrow bed at the end of the house I'll plant some birdhouse gourd seeds in too.
I may toss some pumpkin seeds near the fence row and see what comes up.
Looking forward to it! :yes:

Cutworms are murder early in the season!! We have them here too! AND of course the rabbit population! BOTH will wipe out garden plants.
Wrap a small piece of paper or tinfoil around the bottom of the stems from roots up to leaf stems above will deter cutworms. Rabbits eat from top down, easy to tell which you have by looking at the damage.
Last year I had to spray rabbit repellant on one end of the garden on the cabbage and sweet potato plants due to rabbits so it may pay to consider doing that on yours.

My bet is rabbits. I can see some impression in the soil, but cant make out tracks. Not ruleing out cutworms, but more likely rabbits. I did get a picture of the neighbors cat and havent lost anymore plants since, SO!

Update, camera just went off and I got a pic of a squirrel carrying off one of the plants. Mystery solved, now to take care of the squirrel.

Back