2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you calibrate it yearly as that's the only safe way? Who calibrates it for you?

I contacted USDA and they couldn't find a place near me that does calibrations.

I just got a free Pesto .canner on CL. It has gauge, but also a 15psi jiggler. I trust the jiggler, had to spend on a gasket

It compliments my Mirro Matics

View attachment 1147882View attachment 1147883
Great for mushroom spawn in sterilized containers or bags. You could do small bags in it for hobby growing to inoculate your substrate bags or small buckets. Nothing like fresh gourmet mushrooms in your pan or kept for food stores.

We decided to have Beef roast Sunday and I have to have turnips in the roast along with the carrots. Took a walk to the patch thinking the might have frozen when we had temps in the teens. Stihl good. And so was the roast.
20240204_132446.jpg

I am not a big fan of turnips, I can eat them, they just aint my favorite. My wifes grandmaw used to cook them in some sort of butter cheese sauce I thought was alright.
My gardening plans now are to hope it quits raining long enough to get the garden tilled. I do plan on cleaning up my beds and pots this week. I can plant taters in pots and peas in the beds. I also bought some onion sets yesterday, I have the chicken manure on their bed, just need it mixed in and it will be ready to plant. My chickens got into my broccoli pots this week. I had little heads of broccoli, but them birds put a end to that, dont know if they will come back or not.

My additions this year are a blackberry and a raspberry. The fruit trees from last year look ready to go.

The cheap white plastic lattice shades a concrete slab below a deck.

80-vine_1_11822907133e0aa46f0da41ea497678b710c0fc7.jpg

Now that I look at it, probably should shore up this corner of the slab.

80-vine_2_6d1f3ffe23e7e51521ed32e194d1e95ec253a457.jpg

I'm planning on keeping the fruit trees well pruned since I don't have a lot of room for them. I don't have a lot of flat property for planting.

80-vine_3_c229f813411ae4a2e7c33e876b00c88e934773d2.jpg

Hopefully I'm done ordering plants and seeds. Only thing to get is a lb of lima bean seeds. 800 + pepper plants and 125 tomato plants to pick up from the greenhouse May 1st. About $1,000 in seed this year which will be enough for this year and next. Most of that $ is sweet corn seed followed by pumpkin seeds. Stihl lots of mud out there but some temps in the 60's next week.

Hope them 800 pepper plants are NOT the hot kind! LOL!!!
Gainnin on my greenhouse build.
Kinda slow going now that I am on the roof part. A LOTTA climbing and my legs/back dont like it but I push on.
Still have to haul in some dirt to level the inside up a bit too.

Attachments

• 20240221_173429.jpg
    20240221_173429.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Hope them 800 pepper plants are NOT the hot kind! LOL!!!
Gainnin on my greenhouse build.
Kinda slow going now that I am on the roof part. A LOTTA climbing and my legs/back dont like it but I push on.
Still have to haul in some dirt to level the inside up a bit too.
Only 1 flat(72) are poblano and they are not that hot.

Is anyone else getting the itch to put some seeds in the ground?? If the forecast holds I just might be able to direct seed some stuff in the next 2 weeks. We have no snow cover here and the 14 day looks pretty warm. I'm just worried that it's still early but the conditions look good.

On another note, my Brussels sprouts that I planted late last summer are still alive.
1000008776.jpg

Is anyone else getting the itch to put some seeds in the ground?? If the forecast holds I just might be able to direct seed some stuff in the next 2 weeks. We have no snow cover here and the 14 day looks pretty warm. I'm just worried that it's still early but the conditions look good.

On another note, my Brussels sprouts that I planted late last summer are still alive.
View attachment 1156061
I just looked at my sprouts this morning and I might be able to pick a few more. Dang things are pretty hardy.

I got my plowing done wednesday. I got my onions, sweet peas and some garlic planted.I bought my cabbage plants, but the rain beat me to the planting so they will get set out in the next day or two. Also plan on planting my tater pots as soon as they dry out a little bit. I dug into my jerusalem artichokes just to make sure they hadnt rotted over the winter, they where fine. Wife found the sweet corn seed we bought last fall, but its probably 6 weeks or more before I plant any. Also dug out the mater and pepper seeds, going to go ahead and plant them in cups inside my shed. I wanted to build one of Dels shelving green houses, but didnt get around to it, so I will just set the seed cups in front of the shed window. Probably be slow coming up. I still got to shell out my okra seeds and my white polific corn. I plan on planting twice as much okra this year and I havent made my mind up about planting any field corn.

here is my start of the year. I'll buy some sweet 100's in may but I wanted the heirloom started early. snow peas, green beans and potato later.
Hope it's not raining all the time like last year.

Attachments

• 2024 tomato seedlings.jpg
    2024 tomato seedlings.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 0
Bout have the greenhouse ready for seed flats now. I have 4 lights to hang and a small heater to put in yet.
I am going to test run some seeds first and see if they will actually sprout in here. I never had a greenhouse before,---- only the old hotbed by the house and this is a whole different game with this thing! lol!
Yesterday it was around 55 to 60 outside and almost 90 in the greenhouse so it looks like it might work.

Attachments

• 20240303_150901.jpg
    20240303_150901.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240303_150833.jpg
    20240303_150833.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240303_150847.jpg
    20240303_150847.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Bout have the greenhouse ready for seed flats now. I have 4 lights to hang and a small heater to put in yet.
I am going to test run some seeds first and see if they will actually sprout in here. I never had a greenhouse before,---- only the old hotbed by the house and this is a whole different game with this thing! lol!
Yesterday it was around 55 to 60 outside and almost 90 in the greenhouse so it looks like it might work.
Looks good. Maybe not in the pics. Any type of ventilation fans/shutters? Almost a must to keep seedlings from getting to hot.

Started my first seeds indoors tye last week of February.

1000009043.jpg

We've had very little snow and above normal Temps all winter. On Monday we hit 68⁰ and the soil in the raised bed was in decent shape so I put some seeds in the ground. I think it's the earliest I've ever planted seeds outside.

1000009095.jpg

starting seed boxes now. even have room for hanging pots to start seed in. Grow lights might help,--dunno! lol!

Attachments

• 20240308_180044.jpg
    20240308_180044.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240308_175940.jpg
    20240308_175940.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240308_180116.jpg
    20240308_180116.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
starting seed boxes now. even have room for hanging pots to start seed in. Grow lights might help,--dunno! lol!
Something happened; I couldn't post by myself so I had to piggyback on yours.

With the recent dry and warm weather, I've been getting the garden ready for upcoming Spring planting. I repaired one of my 3' x 16' raised beds with some culls (70% off) PT lumber. You can see the half rotten W. Oak board laying on top the dirt. Not exactly straight, but using some clamps I got it all pulled together. A little woodworking lol.

IMG_2577.JPG

I got it back filled before Thursdays rain. Once it settles and dries a little, I'll need to add some dirt/compost to fill it back up. Too early to plant Spinach/Lettuce?
Tame Blackberries, seen in the background, were cleaned up and tied. Need to hoe the grass and then mulch.

My Asparagus crowns came today. Wish they had come two days earlier when it was dry. I'll get them in the ground on Monday.

Back