Northern tool grinder poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who has one of the below?

• ordered and recieved a chain grinder

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • Thinking strongly about buying one

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Not even considered buying a grinder

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
One here, one on order. But it's been since Wednesday and they haven't shipped it yet.

Bad timing

I picked up a used 511a for $100 and got it about two weeks before the story broke on the Northern Tool grinder, otherwise I'd be in the market along with the rest of you. I also picked up one of the Harbor Freight grinders and it does well on chains that don't require the 10 degree tilt feature.

i've never used a grinder. got my NT in. used an old rocked out ruined chain,.

brought it back, but ground the HECK out of the teeth. might be a race candidate now....... lol

like it. some goofy quirks, worst of which is having to remove base to get gunk off top of pivot gizmo.

Yeah, don't buy them from Northern. Too expensive. The grinder comes with 3-1/4, 3/16 and 1/8. They'll last you for a while. I'm surprised it's still on sale. I doubt the price will go back to where it was, but they could for sure get another $50 out of it.

Trust us it comes with three

And they are salmon colored. They really do not leave much of a burr.
I would never consider reversing mine.. I prefer the sparks shooting away from my eyes.
I am thinking about putting a sign up out by the road for sharpening chains. heck 4-5 bucks a chain.. easy money.

Ordered!

I know this is a familiar story on the site, but here is my tale of woe. In the last week this site has cost me over $325.00 in PPE, Wedges, Reading Materials, and This new grinder I just ordered. I am very concerned about this addiction. Is there an ASAA (ArborSite Addiction Annonymous) available to us? :confused:

I am afraid there is a new chainsaw purchase lurking in the next couple of months also.

Well let me be the first to suggest a Dolmar

Cause you are going to hear it sooner or later,.
I have the 6400 and it rips. My buddy bought the 5100 ,Wow talk about a fun smooth saw to run.

PA Plumber said:
I know this is a familiar story on the site, but here is my tale of woe. In the last week this site has cost me over $325.00 in PPE, Wedges, Reading Materials, and This new grinder I just ordered. I am very concerned about this addiction. Is there an ASAA (ArborSite Addiction Annonymous) available to us? :confused:

I am afraid there is a new chainsaw purchase lurking in the next couple of months also.

This site cost me $678 the other week for a 441. I dont really need it.

It also just cost me $215 to have my 361 worked over...dont really need that either.

Sure does make me grin though.

CaseyForrest said:
This site cost me $678 the other week for a 441. I dont really need it.

It also just cost me $215 to have my 361 worked over...dont really need that either.

Sure does make me grin though.

Where did you get a 441 for $678. Did that include a bar and chain or was that just the powerhead? I have one I'm looking at for $768. Includes 3 RS chains, 25" bar, and case. Sounds like you got a deal!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back