Best Tachometer for saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
I am looking at the one Baileys sells, the SenDEC STS-5000.
Is it ideal for chainsaws, or should I make some other considerations?
Now that I am starting to do more carb adjustments, and work on "projects", I don't want to burn up a saw cause its not adjusted properly.
What do you guys think?

I'd like to know which one works, without having to buy several.

The problem is I can't afford $100 for a tach, but would like to find one that works well.

Any suggestions? What do people think of the Baileys tach mentioned above?

Thanks

The Stihl and SenDEC look quite alike. Could they be related.

17122.jpg

154f_1.JPG

It's possible, but the insides might be quite different. Stihl certainly doesn't make their own tachs, but they do spec them. The -7 and -8 were made to work with the newer ignitions systems.

It's possible, but the insides might be quite different. Stihl certainly doesn't make their own tachs, but they do spec them. The -7 and -8 were made to work with the newer ignitions systems.

Do you know anything about the Baileys one Lake? How much would a Stihl cost?

Got one Digital Laser Tachometer (PHOTO) to day, cost $93.00 here in Norway, Accuracy of ±(0.05%+1 digit) Sampling Time of 0.5 sec., have to test it an other day, so I can't tell you anything more about it.

Here is a link, and one pic, of almost the same model, this is a Digital Laser Tachometer, (no PHOTO), but I don't know the difference? other then it's at a lower cost($49.00) in US.
http://www.web-tronics.com/lastacdt.html

attachment.php

Last edited:
I don't know any thing about the Tach that Bailey's sell nor the STIHL Tach, here are pictures of the Digital Tach I use. I have had this one so long I don't recall what it cost me! It is very accurate and batteries last a long time (if I remember to turn it off). You guys complaining about the cost of a Tach, take the cake, if it helps you save one saw from a seizure, it has paid for itself! JMHO :deadhorse:

OK guys I have researched this big time and here are my findings.
The Baileys tach has a refresh rate of 1.5 seconds.
the cheapie tach ( i got one) refresh rate is 2.5 seconds.
The Stihl tachs I have checked into have a refresh rate of .5 second.
Just bought a EDT-5 myself today. Dont figure i will ever have a newer saw with the new magnetic set up.

anyone who knows the update rate for baileys tach ???
OK guys I have researched this big time and here are my findings.
The Baileys tach has a refresh rate of 1.5 seconds.
the cheapie tach ( i got one) refresh rate is 2.5 seconds.
The Stihl tachs I have checked into have a refresh rate of .5 second.
Just bought a EDT-5 myself today. Dont figure i will ever have a newer saw with the new magnetic set up.

Right before your thread. :D

You guys complaining about the cost of a Tach, take the cake, if it helps you save one saw from a seizure, it has paid for itself! JMHO :deadhorse:

Ya know that's true, but if I don't have the money to pay for the thing in the first place it won't save anything. That's why I have to find one that I can afford:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nope, my brother called and there was one at his stihl dealer in stock. I live 3 hours from him, but will get it in do time.

Cut... if I may ask, what was the price on the EDT-5? You can send me a PM if you wish. Did you also price the EDT-8?

Thanks

SenDec

A nice feature of the SenDec is that is saves in memory the highest rpms. After a test run, hold down the little button and it will display it for you. Holding down the button a little longer will reset to zero. I also have a Stihl EDT-? (somewhere), but it does not have this feature.

Latest posts

Back