Big Cotton Wood we took down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trost66

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of a big cotton wood we took down. It was just a little bit over 8ft were cut the stump off. Surprisingly it was pretty solid. The pic of the saw on the ground by the crouch was about 55 ft.

Nice pics! That's a lot of wood. If only it was actually good for something.

Here they are, shrunk down and embedded for those who prefer it that way:

C1Medium.jpg

C2Medium.jpg

C3Medium.jpg

C4Medium.jpg

C5Medium.jpg

C6Medium.jpg

Man that is allot of work for wood that burns like paper. Would make a nice bon fire after it dries out.

Yah...

Nice and big wood. Looks to be over 6 ft DBH. Cottonwood is light and easy to cut, but burns in a flash. It will burn though...

Man that is allot of work for wood that burns like paper. Would make a nice bon fire after it dries out.

We didn't use this for firewood. It was just for a customer. We just piled it up in a field and had a big wennie roast. Luckly we did it in the winter or it really would of been a pain in the summer with all of the water in it. Really would of gummed up the bar on the saw

just curious, but why did it have to come down? I thought I have seen some large cottonwoods along the Arkansas River, but WOW! That is huge.

It had a few big rotton limbs in it. On fell on the house in a wind storm. Plus it was rpretty close to the house

This was one of those trees that was kinda fun to cut down. Just because of the size. It was pretty neat when I put the back cut and it went over and it hit and it was still taller than me.

some of you say cottonwood is junk--it burns the same as soft maple--which i burn a lot of in the start of heating season--not such a hot fire--i also saw some of them for roof sheating boards--

poplar as siding

We didn't use this for firewood. It was just for a customer. We just piled it up in a field and had a big wennie roast. Luckly we did it in the winter or it really would of been a pain in the summer with all of the water in it. Really would of gummed up the bar on the saw

There is a confrence building on a 300 acre ag demo site in Jackson, MS that the whole interior is Poplar and it looks very good.

wow great job quite a few of those big thumpers along the Missouri river up here in South Dakota--they do make good early or late heating season wood when you just need a quick hot fire to take the chill off

Big Cottonwood!

Great pics. Thanks computeruser for rearranging the pics for us. I helped take down a 42 inch diameter tree and was satisfied. A tree this size would be impossible for me:( But, that is why there are professionals:D

Back