Best saw chain grind angle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been cutting dead red oak. 25 to 30 inch dia. stuff. HARD! What do you guys think would be the optimum grinding angle for the chain?

I've been real happy with 25 degrees. Run a full comp and full skip on a 24" bar with the 036 and it pulls just fine. Throws nice chips. Haven't played with angles for the 36" bar on the 660 yet. Probably will sharpen everything at 25 degrees unless someone tells me 30 degrees will get me faster cut times and keep the chain sharp longer.

I've been real happy with 25 degrees. Run a full comp and full skip on a 24" bar with the 036 and it pulls just fine. Throws nice chips. Haven't played with angles for the 36" bar on the 660 yet. Probably will sharpen everything at 25 degrees unless someone tells me 30 degrees will get me faster cut times and keep the chain sharp longer.

same here, I've been running 25 degrees. Seems to work best for me. Tried 30 and 35, I like 25 better.:cheers:

Chain

I am cutting with my old 084 AV. The chain is the one that came with the saw and I am not sure which one it is. The saw of course has lots of power but in this stuff never spit out big chips like I would think it should.
The chain is over half used up. Maybe I should buy a new chain?

On the 084 (Oregon 59L chain) I use 25 deg for "hard" stuff. It stays sharper longer, especially if you have to crosscut the blocks to make them more manageable. Otherwise 30 degrees.

Ed

Back