MS361, 15 min. Hillbilly Muffler Mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought a used 361 muffler to hack on, took about 15 min to do total
inclueding changing mufflers. It's no Lakeside mod. and no screen. If I dont like it I will tig it back up
and do it Lakes way (the right way) I was just wanted to play a little.
Just done it so I have'nt cut with it.....Was kind of shocked when
she fired up, Sounds like a real chainsaw now! :D

attachment.php

Looks good to me; also it helps to gut out the small holes inside the muffler with a larger drill, so more exhaust can get out to your new made vents.

It's kinda hard to tell by the pic.

Are they vented forward ?

Or to the side ?

How was it done ?

Most important !!!

What are you gonna do about suckback ???

These are things to remember when doin a muff.mod. ;)

It's kinda hard to tell by the pic.

Are they vented forward ? Yes

Or to the side ? Yes

How was it done ? cut-off wheel, screwdriver

Most important !!!

What are you gonna do about suckback ??? I don't know how to fix that :cheers:

These are things to remember when doin a muff.mod. ;)

Drilling the factory cage - not sure it make a big difference anyhow.. the aggregate area of the factory holes is pretty big.

Last edited:
When I read the title and saw "15 minute" and "Hillbilly" in the name I figured someone took the time to remove the muffler from the saw before he shot the muffler full of holes. Actually, the louvers look pretty nice to me. Any special tips on making louvers like that?:givebeer:

When I read the title and saw "15 minute" and "Hillbilly" in the name I figured someone took the time to remove the muffler from the saw before he shot the muffler full of holes. Actually, the louvers look pretty nice to me. Any special tips on making louvers like that?:givebeer:

Cut slots, start at the back slot pry (twist) up with screwdriver.

I did'nt take time to tweak them, tomorrow I will with needle
nose pliers.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty good 15 minute butcher job to me.....Not as pretty as a Lakeside one....But...it'll will work :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I think it looks good, Gary!

If you can fashion a spark screen to it somehow it'd be great!

Personally, I like the "devil horns" smoke that the Lakeside mod has when I fire it up and give it some throttle.

This mod opened up the muffler outlet up to 169 sq mm total from stock 64 sq mm, louvers added a conservative number of 105 sq mm. Louvers are 1 inch long, each louver is open a heavy 1/16 of a inch.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Gary - post the pic of the slot cutting wheel etc... Most guys don't know about the thin kerf wheels.. I really like them on a small die grinder.

Gary - post the pic of the slot cutting wheel etc... Most guys don't know about the thin kerf wheels.. I really like them on a small die grinder.

OK Andy...........Wheel is .040 thick fiber type, have some .025 thick
non-fiber.......but .040 was in grinder

I closed up the louvers from the first pic,169sq mm dim. I give was after I closed the
louvers up some, Exhaust was coming out at about 60 deg (front of saw
beaning zero) Closed louvers some, it's now coming out about 45 deg

attachment.php

I think it looks good, Gary!

If you can fashion a spark screen to it somehow it'd be great!

Personally, I like the "devil horns" smoke that the Lakeside mod has when I fire it up and give it some throttle.

I think if the louvers are cut to match the stock screen holder and
make 4 or 5 louvers........Then cut a slot in the front of muffler, to
slide screen holder in, may need to tweak outside part of holder
to match muffler, drill hole for holder screw.......I think it would work,
sounds good in my head anyway ;)

Pic of screen and holder.

screen.jpg

Yep... keep the exhaust off the wood.. things catch on fire!

You'll ever seal the screen or hold it rigid by just cutting a slot. It need a rail carrier inside to guide and hold it like the factory - that why I went for the TS400 style of screen.

Last edited:
Back