As Promised - 262 cyl.on 261 Husky photos!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, as I promised Taplinhill in my previous thread, I'm posting some photos of the successful 262 cylinder kit swap on my 261 - - - giving it awesome new power.

It really gives me pleasure bringing this 9 year old friend back to life.

Hopefully this works - my first time uploading.

Thanks to all again - - - Al

ST-
I was rip-splitting some red oak blocks - about a face cord worth, and didn't notice that the cylinder fins became clogged with the longer shards from ripping instead of chips that you get from a crosscut.

I am after all a virtual rookie at this stuff - anyway, on the design of the 261Husky you'll notice that the cylinder shroud covers a fair amount of the right side of the cylinder just behind the decompression valve. Anyway thats where the build up took place, plus it was a 93 degree day, and it overheated and I scored the cylinder.

Yes, the saw is is good shape I purchased it new in 1999 and I don't use it as much as I'd like - I've got two others as well that handle most of my wood making chores. Well now actually three more with the Stihl MS 361 I just purchased when I thought the 261 Husky was a goner.

So that is that. I look forward to hanging around this forum as it is obviously FULL of great information.

Thanks again ST and all others who helped give me the confidence to pull this off!

Al

ST-
I was rip-splitting some red oak blocks - about a face cord worth, and didn't notice that the cylinder fins became clogged with the longer shards from ripping instead of chips that you get from a crosscut. ....

The next time you do that, use the 361 - its design is better suited to that task (inboard clutch and cleaner design under the clutch cover).....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah,

That's another reason why I bought the 361 - as well as the fact that the right side of the cylinder on the 361 is virtually all exposed for better cooling. Also, I noticed while using the 361 for ripping that the fan seems to be much stronger than the 261 Husky - - seems to move a lot of air!

Al

Pablo26-

Thanks for the nice comments. Actually my wife took those photos (cutting shots) she's really quite a good photographer.

Thanks again - - - Al

Your wife did a good job. As did you on the saw. I have a 261 that has a similar problem, and when i rebuild it I am thinking 262XP conversion. And yes SawTroll I will do the muffler too!!!!!!!!

Thanks Serge-

The saw does run great. I'll take it a bit easy on it for a couple of tanks of fuel.

I will be trying to update my knowledge base through all the information sources available here.

Infact I'll probably be doing a post on the ill running 141 Husky I used today while clearing shooting lanes for deer hunting. Ran fine for the first tank but after refueling the blasted thing would only run for about 3 seconds then quit. I didn't do anything other than refuel!?!

So I came back to the cabin and picked up my 16 year old Husky 55. That saw rocks, and is dependable as the day is long! I'll mess with the 141 tomorrow.

Al

Ms361

[I know this is an old thread but becaus I am a new member I may have missed something. Where on your listings of saws is the MS361? Don't tell me it is gone! And you didn't even call me to ask if I wanted to buy it.

Joe

Sorry.

[I know this is an old thread but becaus I am a new member I may have missed something. Where on your listings of saws is the MS361? Don't tell me it is gone! And you didn't even call me to ask if I wanted to buy it.

Joe

That was way before I knew you were a Stihl head! That saw lives in New York now.

Al :cheers:

Back