Husqvarna 261 compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptMoonlight

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster. I'm looking at a used Husky 261 on Craigslist priced at $250. The owner said he doesn't know anything about the saw. Bar is in decent condition from what I can tell from pictures and it has a couple chains with it. He said he hasn't cut with it, but it starts and runs. He also said the compression was about 110-115, he seemed to think that was pretty good.

Does anyone run a stock 261 or has everyone modded it out to a 262? Is the compression too low? Again, I haven't looked at the saw yet, but plan to check the compression and look at the muffler and piston when I get my hands on it. Any ideas?

When you go to get to saw, look around nervously, and tell the owner that you think you saw a van full of cops around the corner. ;)
If they're tweakers, it's a sure way to get $150 knocked off the price of the chainsaw. After that, run it like it was stolen, because it probably is. :D

More likely than not though, it's just something that sat on a shelf after someone clear cut their quarter acre with it. Figure the fuel filter needs changing, flush out the gas tank, oil tank, replace the air filter, WD-40 all the pieces and parts to loosen up the gack, then toothbrush it like crazy. Gonna have to seafoam out the carb, check your plug, check for mud daubers in the recoil starter, muffler, etc.

From there, who knows? Might want to redo the piston, the bar probably has a decade of congeeled gack in it, chain might be on backwards, all sorts of wild things.

When you go to get to saw, look around nervously, and tell the owner that you think you saw a van full of cops around the corner. ;)
If they're tweakers, it's a sure way to get $150 knocked off the price of the chainsaw. After that, run it like it was stolen, because it probably is. :D

More likely than not though, it's just something that sat on a shelf after someone clear cut their quarter acre with it. Figure the fuel filter needs changing, flush out the gas tank, oil tank, replace the air filter, WD-40 all the pieces and parts to loosen up the gack, then toothbrush it like crazy. Gonna have to seafoam out the carb, check your plug, check for mud daubers in the recoil starter, muffler, etc.

From there, who knows? Might want to redo the piston, the bar probably has a decade of congeeled gack in it, chain might be on backwards, all sorts of wild things.

Here's to hopin they're tweakers!

I'm hoping its a fairly clean saw. I've been getting saws bought out from underneath me (had a guy sell a farm boss while I was on the way to his house to someone else because they got there first) or showing up and it's not what they said it was (had a lady swear she had a Husqvarna 51 and it ended up being an Echo. When she asked me how I could tell, I about died) for awhile now.

To the OP, where are you located approximately?

110-115psi compression is only ok if you are at 6,000 ft elevation, where 115psi actually equals about 140psi at sea level, otherwise, you are looking at a saw with problems, either it has a toasted piston, stuck rings, or worn out rings from lots of hours.

For $250 or less, there were several reputable members on here with 261's and 262's that had good compression and likely only needed small items to get them going....

$250 is high for a used 261 from an unknown person, so don't buy a turd from an ignorant owner, pass on it if you sense it is junk. The 261 doesn't bring the money that the 262 does, and yes, the higher compression makes a big difference where I live at 6,000 ft.

Stock compression on a 261 is 160-170 PSI.

That's a little high for a 261 husky, I think.

I have had 2. The first one is minty inside and out, it is about 180psi with a 262 piston and the thick 261 base gasket. Didn't check before conversion.

The second one I sold. It was good on the outside, very good on the inside. 130psi when I bought, I put in a 262 piston and made 1/64" paper gasket to get over 190psi.

I paid $210 for the minty one, and it came with 8 good chains.

I paid $150, I think, for the other. I had a chance at another minty one for $190, but didn't make the drive.

$250 seems a little high. To normal forks, they are 16 year old landowner saws. Obviously not to me, or many around here.

110-115psi compression is only ok if you are at 6,000 ft elevation, where 115psi actually equals about 140psi at sea level, otherwise, you are looking at a saw with problems, either it has a toasted piston, stuck rings, or worn out rings from lots of hours.

For $250 or less, there were several reputable members on here with 261's and 262's that had good compression and likely only needed small items to get them going....

Don't buy a turd from an ignorant owner, pass on it.

An ignorant owner is exactly who you want to buy a Husky 261 from...who wants to pay 262xp prices from someone around here b/c they enlarged a hole in the muffler and took an hour to put in a $38.50 meteor in it?

Also, the 110-115psi may be a WAG, and not an actual reading. Truly ignorant owners don't check compression.

An ignorant owner is exactly who you want to buy a Husky 261 from...who wants to pay 262xp prices from someone around here b/c they enlarged a hole in the muffler and took an hour to put in a $38.50 meteor in it?

Also, the 110-115psi may be a WAG, and not an actual reading. Truly ignorant owners don't check compression.

You are right.
A greedy owner tells you the compression is 110-115psi and still asks $250 for a used 261.

A kind owner who wants to see the saw live again sells these for ~$150, because they are old saws to most people....

I dunno, I have seen some nice 261's on here for good prices. The 262's with 87 carbs bring a good price, but the stock 261's are a hard sell for more than $300 here.

You are right.
A greedy owner tells you the compression is 110-115psi and still asks $250 for a used 261.

A kind owner who wants to see the saw live again sells these for ~$150, because they are old saws to most people....

I dunno, I have seen some nice 261's on here for good prices. The 262's with 87 carbs bring a good price, but the stock 261's are a hard sell for more than $300 here.

Thanks for the info. I'm in Oklahoma, so, no. I'm not at 6000 ft. More like 600 ft.

You are right.

I agree, but he wouldnt be selling it for $250 where I live, it would sit and sit. Who knows if he's greedy...as mentioned before this could have been used for one project and sat on a shelf. Even though that was 15-18 years ago, the owner probably thinks it was 8. Asking 250 for a saw he paid 3-350 for doesn't make him greedy, he might just not know.

To the OP, if it's close, check it out. Actually looking at the piston from the muffler port is worth far more than someone else's compression reading. If he doesn't want you removing 3 and a half allen headed bolts, looking down the spark plug hole will let you see the exhaust side cylinder. If it looks good, the rest of p/c is likely okay.

In summary of all I've been saying...no, 115psi isn't that low here. These saws were designed to have low compression.

If internals look good, 262xp piston and get squish below 0.030 and you'll have fine compression.

My 261 was 120 psi stock. I left the base gasket in it and put a Meteor 262 in it and the compression went to 150. It is a nice saw to run but tough to restart when hot.

Back