Sharpening Chisel Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amos

Reaction score
Today I was talking to the guy who took the chainsaw course I just completed and we were talking about chisel chain. He told me that the chain we had used during the course was 3/8" square chisel chain. During the course we had sharpened the chains quite a lot of times with no problem and it cut VERY fast after each sharpen. Then just yesterday I was looking at saw chains on a saw shop's (in the PNW) web site and it said that square chisel chain is very hard (if not impossible) to sharpen with a file and that if you are going to run it you should buy a grinder. The guy that took my course very much disagrees with that and says it is a sales pitch. I am new to sharpening saws and like I said I had no trouble sharpening the chain with a round file and it cut great. What is your opinion? Is it a sales pitch or has the guy somehow made a mistake on the type of chain we were using? Thanks :confused:

The difference is probably between round-filing square tooth chain (Easy with practice) and square-filing square tooth chain (difficult to master from what I've heard and I don't doubt it)

Art Martin is the guy to go to on this one. It takes years of practice to square file well. It may come down to a case where it's relatively easy to get reasonable results from round filing, but if you want the best, square filing is the only way to go. It could also be that an inexperienced square filer can make the chain cut worse than if he filed it with a round file.

Last edited:
What file did you use in the class? probably a round file. That is what 99% of us hacks use. Square filing takes a little patience and dedication

If you used a round file with good results I'd be 99.9% sure you were using regular, round-filed chisel chain.

Square-filed, full chisel, or chisel-bit chain cuts a little better than the regular, but requires dedication and patience to learn to file correctly...meaning it can be done.

Almost nobody that sharpens chains professionally does it with a file, except fellows that provide expensive racing chains. It's not competitive...the labor costs would be too high. But there is a downside; ground chains are often less sharp than a filed chain, and inexperienced operators sometimes burn the temper out of the cutting edge.

I do not use square filed chain as there is minimal advantage. Square filed chain cuts a little faster, mostly because the side-plate cutting edge shears end-grain more efficiently, but where I live there is mostly deciduous hardwoods that dull the chain faster. The best place for chisel-bit chain is production sawing or commercial thinning in softwoods. And hotsaw racing, of course.

sguare file

OK, the guys that went to Husky school (game of logging?) say he square filed the chain in no time. Believe he put one end of the saw on the ground with the other end towards him. Any one know how this is done?

Who was the guy doing the filing. I`ve seen Bill Lindloff(sp?) do it by putting the saw up on something high enough for him to hold it steady with his chest, then file away with the bar sticking out in front of him. Works for him, but then he probably only has a few thousand hours practicing. Russ

Maybe there is a mixup of terminology, and the "square" chain is
merely full chisel. Which requires an extra 10 degree tilt when
sharpening. Just a guess.

I am just trying to guess the original post. I am not trying to
make any point. Sharpening any chain correctly is an art in
itself. To be honest, square "filed" chisel chain is non-existant
around here. Full chisel is all I sell anymore, as the round
semi-chisel just sits on the shelf.

RM chain

We did not keep any micro chain until one guy decided it was better in the mud. Of course he is out of business now, so mine is collecting dust also. I probably will use it to cut firewood.

Just found this thread.New to the site,not new to the infernal combustion engine....:laugh:
Always used semi-chisel,dirty conditions...at best.Just picked up a new 372xp 28'' bar.Came with full comp chisel.Now ,I'm not interested with full(square?) chisel filing,if thats what it's called.
My understanding is that full chisel has a top plate angle of 20deg.And a 45deg tilt
If it can be round filed the question is:does the top plate angle remain at 20 deg?Normally I go with 30 deg straight across.If so then what is the tilt?10 down or straight across with this chain
The shop is closed,not open till monday.Being a heathen, I''ll be out tomorrow(sunday) Bucking some euc logs.Thanks

Last edited:
Back