Rookie Question? Can't start 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been using this saw for a year and a half. It has usually started within 3-4 pulls after priming. Yesterday was cutting some 30"diameter cedar trees. I stopped the saw for a few minutes, now I can't get it to restart. So far I have: Poured out the fuel, cleaned out the tank with straight gas and refilled it with new oil/gas, changed the spark plug, taken off the air filter and blown out the dust, undone the fuel line from the priming bulb to make sure that there weren't any blockages between the tank and the bulb. Blown out the fuel filter to make sure it wasn't clogged. It will start and run for a few seconds with some starting fluid shot into the carb, but then dies immediately like it isn't getting any fuel. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! I'm glad I found this site I have already gotten some great advice and a service manual:clap:

Avoid the starting fluid, use mix to prime the motor instead. Starting fluid does not have any lubricants in it.

If it starts when primed you have a fuel delivery problem. Check fuel ine/filter, carb diaphragm, impulse line, air leaks.

If not trouble shoot ignition.

ok seems that fuel filter is fine but even when it started on starter fluid, it didn't seem to be moving any fuel through the lines. would that maybe be carb diaphragm? I did fill up bar oil in the gas fill one time about 5 uses ago, but I cleaned it out as soon as i realized what i did, and it seemed to work fine after that.

Pull the carb off and give it a thorough cleaning. You probably have oil in the carb. Replace the fuel filter, don't rely on just blowing it out. Keep straight gas away from the saw. Go easy with the starting fluid, as has been mentioned, there are no lubricants in them.

Mark

Back