2 new saws which should I keep??? ECHO CS400 or Echo CS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodoleboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I ended gettting new saws I have to sell one of them though..

Keep in mind both are brand new in the box.

Which should i keep the newer model orange Cs400 or older looking gray model cs440..Both have 18" bars does one sound more appealing over another, thanks..

From what I have herd the 440 is a proven design and a tad lighter and anyway who want's a mono coloured saw?:popcorn: I say run them both and keep the one you like best.

The CS400 is a step down in power from the Older 440, but it is the newer style that ECHO is moving over to, and it has some improvements..

2 post chain brake makes people feel safer, even though Ive never seen a 1 post style break.

The 440 you have remove the whol top shell to get at the filter, on the 400 you dont.

400 is 40c's and the 440 is 45, probably wont notice the difference to be honest.

400 will pull even easier than the 440, which is already easy to pull.

Take your pick, only drawback to the 400 is the engine displacement, but the Power Boost Vortex engine in the 400 may have the same power with leass CC's....

I agree Red on this one. I think the CS400 also has a purge bulb but correct me if I'm wrong. Also I think the 400 is all plastic and the 440 has a metal crankcase. From brief looking on the bay and other places it looks like you might be able to sell the 400 for marginally more money as it is the "new" style saw.

My 440 is the easiest starting and re-starting-from-hot saw I've ever used, not that I've used a lot but is better than all in my experience.

Keep the CS-440, more grunt! The 440 weighs 10.5lbs / the 400 comes in at 10.1lbs. 440 = 45cc / 400 = 40cc. The 400 is not a bad little saw, but, it's not the saw the 440 is; except for the fact that the 400 has more convenient access to the air filter and spark plug. If you're going to keep the original 18" B&C...definitley keep the 440; ideally you should throw a 16" bar on whichever one you decide to keep. And the 440 does have an metal case whereas the 400 is plastic. The 440 has also been out for while so all kinks should be worked out of it...the 400 is a new offering.

Last edited:
I also disagree with Red on one of his points...in saws this size...you're going to notice a difference in 5cc of displacement.

I also disagree with Red on one of his points...in saws this size...you're going to notice a difference in 5cc of displacement.

The 400 has a Power Boost Vortex engine, which is better able to make use of the displacement it has to work with, should be about the same, if not the same as a 440.

You all are saying the 400 has a plastic "case", but I have yet to see any literature that goes along with this.

The 400 has a Power Boost Vortex engine, which is better able to make use of the displacement it has to work with, should be about the same, if not the same as a 440.

You all are saying the 400 has a plastic "case", but I have yet to see any literature that goes along with this.

The 400 doesn't make-up for it in this case. You work at an Echo dealer don't you...go run them and see for yourself. The Echo dealer I stop in at says the 440 has it on power. As far as the 400's case...walk over and pick one up and look at it...it's plastic. You've obviously never seen a 400 let alone run one.

The 400 doesn't make-up for it in this case. You work at an Echo dealer don't you...go run them and see for yourself. The Echo dealer I stop in at says the 440 has it on power. As far as the 400's case...walk over and pick one up and look at it...it's plastic. You've obviously never seen a 400 let alone run one.

The crankcase of the Echo in question is not made of plastic but the frame is. I have a 370...pretty similar saw to the 400. The crank bearings are mounted in a cast case, not like the cheapo Husqvarnas mounted in plastic.

http://echo-usa.com/pdf/documentation/CS370_C089_13_091707.pdf

Ding Ding Ding...We dont stock the CS-400 yet.

As it is now, we have CS-306, 330T, 330MX4(really nice saw btw), 346, 360T, 370, 440, 520. And we can get CS-670, 8000 same day if needed.

The 400 may in fact have it on power, but with the + of i30 starting, easy access air filter, Power Boost Vortex engine, AND the new color/style..Id give the 400 a thumbs up.

Nothing against the 440, I's a great, proven, totally reliable saw that will last a very logn time with proper care. I like em. But the New design is basically an improved older version.

When we get a 400 in, Ill do some Timed cuts between a 440 and a 400.

Ding Ding Ding...We dont stock the CS-400 yet.

As it is now, we have CS-306, 330T, 330MX4(really nice saw btw), 346, 360T, 370, 440, 520. And we can get CS-670, 8000 same day if needed.

The 400 may in fact have it on power, but with the + of i30 starting, easy access air filter, Power Boost Vortex engine, AND the new color/style..Id give the 400 a thumbs up.

Nothing against the 440, I's a great, proven, totally reliable saw that will last a very logn time with proper care. I like em. But the New design is basically an improved older version.

When we get a 400 in, Ill do some Timed cuts between a 440 and a 400.

I agree...the 400 is a good step for Echo with improved design. It's not meant to take the place of the 440, which is why they still offer it and will for the foreseeable future. Echo ought to update the 440 with an easy access air filter / spark plug and add a side access chain tentioner like they do on the 400...time will tell?

The crankcase of the Echo in question is not made of plastic but the frame is. I have a 370...pretty similar saw to the 400. The crank bearings are mounted in a cast case, not like the cheapo Husqvarnas mounted in plastic.

http://echo-usa.com/pdf/documentation/CS370_C089_13_091707.pdf

I think we have a miscommunication on my part. By crankcase I was actually referring to the "engine housing" in which the engine assembly is bolted into. The engine housing includes the oil tank, but not the fuel tank and is seperated from the handle and fuel tank by the anti vibe bushings. On the cs440 the engine housing is aluminum. I believe the engine housing to be plastic on the 400, I think it is also plastic on the 370 although the engine assembly is of couse all aluminum on both models comprising the cylinder and bottom half of the crankcase. Probably makes no real difference either way, but I like the 440 design better.

Now that's funny Red...you had no idea what this man was talking about until he posted something on it. Of course it has a crank case assembly. It also has an engine assembly...for weight saving purposes, it is a plastic case saw. No ding on the saw mind you...it is what it is.

I think we have a miscommunication on my part. By crankcase I was actually referring to the "engine housing" in which the engine assembly is bolted into. The engine housing includes the oil tank, but not the fuel tank and is seperated from the handle and fuel tank by the anti vibe bushings. On the cs440 the engine housing is aluminum. I believe the engine housing to be plastic on the 400, I think it is also plastic on the 370 although the engine assembly is of couse all aluminum on both models comprising the cylinder and bottom half of the crankcase. Probably makes no real difference either way, but I like the 440 design better.

Yes that sounds right. I have located a 440 locally which I will hopefully be picking up for a song. Its a bit used but I'll offer some feedback if I can get it, about how it performs in comparison. Although the 370 is a bit smaller in displacement, the overall design is about the same. Not sure why both are even made, actually.

I agree...the 400 is a good step for Echo with improved design. It's not meant to take the place of the 440, which is why they still offer it and will for the foreseeable future. Echo ought to update the 440 with an easy access air filter / spark plug and add a side access chain tentioner like they do on the 400...time will tell?

Ive been told that in the American Market, the whole lineup is getting an Overhaul. Some new models, some just getting upgraded parts and a coat of orange. Time will indeed tell what we will end up with, but Im not worried. It will still be the quality product That has secured Echo's place in the market.

Echo is being smart about this move though. They are slowly working their way up the scale, started with the small saws, next up is the big stuff. They didnt go out and refurb the whole lineup in a month, they are just doing their thing.

Keep both saws, I would. I'm sure you'll find work for them both. The 440 and the 520 Echo's are good firewood saws (although not oozing with power). I have a little Echo CS300 that I use for windfall and stuff, and it's a great simple saw, that my local dealer get any part for it. Starts easy, run well.
Keep them both.

OLY I wish Echo would add the quick access cover and side chain adjust to the 440. Their move to incorporate MORE plastic on the 400 instead of less tells me that they are probably looking to cut a little more from manufacturing costs over and above any huge product improvements. The 440 can be upgraded to side chain adjust at least.

Latest posts

Back