Help identify an old Homelite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyyota

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up this old Homelite. It has no identifying marks on it and I like to know the model and specs. From pics I've found the best I can figure it is an XL-850 or somthing close. It has a 3/8" pitch sprocket, and a manual oiler on the left of the rear grip.

P1150276.jpg

P1150277.jpg

P1150278.jpg

Yes, that is a stick for the starter handle and propane bottle plug for a cap!

Well given the coloring configuration, you're on the right track. But it could be anything from a XL-700 up through an XL-870. The XL-700 is 4.7 cubic inches and the XL-800 series is the same as a 925 at 5.01 cubic inches. I tend to think with the blue & white scheme that it is an XL-700. The 800 series I have seen are red & white (and sometimes a bit of green too). Does it have an auto oiler? If so, then it probably isn't a 700. In any case, you can find some specs here: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView&Start=51.182&Count=30&Expand=51#51

I scrolled through all the saws on CSCC and found the XL-800 was the closest picture. I havent had an opertunity to open it up and see whats inside, let alone try to run it.

P1150276.jpg

Yes, that is a stick for the starter handle and propane bottle plug for a cap!

I had to look twice... I couldn't believe the level of awesomeness the first time I saw the pic and thought my eyes were lying :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is fully badazz :rock:

...Does it have an auto oiler? If so, then it probably isn't a 700. ...

Are you sure about that? I have an 800 and it only has an automatic oiler (no manual oiler). I was under the assumption that the 700 was the same, but I haven't looked at an IPL for a 700. They had some funky configurations around that time, though, so I suppose anything's possible.

From what I've been able to find out, the XL-700 was manual oiler only, the XL-800 was auto only and the 850-875 had both. But that is only partially based on personal experience. The info on the XL-700 is from the Mike Acre's site (which has been accurate in my experience). I know my XL-870 has both types of oilers.

If it's from Acre's site, the information is almost certainly correct. I sure wish Homelite had just made up their mind and stuck with one basic configuration. Also wish they'd put a manual oiler on the 800, as my auto oiler doesn't do a whole heck of a lot. I have a manual oiler off a 925 sitting in a box that may well end up on my 800 at some point. Just have to drill and tap some fittings in.

Back