It runs!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
3 pulls on choke, 2 pulls off choke…and it started, and ran for a second…in my excitement I forgot to turn the H&L carb screws out 1 turn. :rolleyes: Got it started again, got it to idle and put it briefly in a piece of Oak. My mercy! This thing is awesome! :D And it’s still “new”! When it gets a few tanks through it, I won’t know how to act! :D I know a lot of you guys have bigger and faster saws, and a 044 is probably boring to you…but after that brief time in the wood, I’m lovin’ this saw already. I’ve ran a 440 with the standard muffler cover, but my saw with the DP cover is loud at full throttle! I definitely will be wearing ear protection! It’ll have a 20” B&C on it most of the time, and I have a 28” bar with some skip chain for bigger wood.

The saw ain’t pretty, it was done on a pretty tight budget, but I’m proud of it. I messed up the air filter base and cover when I tried to restore them by buffing and a putting on a clearcoat. The pieces are still useable, just ugly. I got an air filter base from my dealer, and he’s seeing if he can find a better looking air filter cover than what’s in my pics. I needed an engine cover cause the original one was broke. Parts came from ebay, my local dealer, and folks here on AS.

Another reason why I’m so happy is because this was my first time dealing with a piston and cylinder job (cleaning up the cylinder, honing, and putting in a new piston – aftermarket piston from Bailey’s) and I’m glad the saw runs after I worked on it…actually I thank the good Lord for guiding me through it all. The piston cylinder wasn’t scored when I got it. I’m sure if I would have got a new fuel line (the old one was rotten) and used some fresh fuel, it would have started when I first got the saw. But it needed a lot of cleaning, so I just decided to go through it all. I want to thank y’all here on AS for all the info I gathered searching through past threads and posts about how to do things. I’ve learned a lot…and am still learning! Thank you to Andy (Lakeside53) and Josh (Four Paws) for the advice and answering all my questions.

This is the thread I started with pics of as I got the saw:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40266

After stripping it down to removing the cylinder (didn’t do nothing to the bottom end, everything checked out okay), it took some time to get the parts and then find the time to clean everything as best as I could and put it back together. It did pass a pressure and vacuum test. The cracks that are seen on the handle have been fixed from underneath, we’ll see how they hold up.

Kevin

Edit: I guess never did say what saw it is...but to most of you, with saw experience, can see it's a 044.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Besides adding a DP cover (didn’t realize that I probably didn’t need it cause my muffler has the bigger port already), I added the bottom protective plate for the fuel tank using JB Weld and forming a dam out of some plastic from a butter container. I glued in the ‘dam’ added the JB Weld, let it set for a day or so, then carefully drilled a hole for the screw. This is the thread I had asked about doing it:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=50329

Here’s how it turned out. Works for me.

Kevin

attachment.php

attachment.php

Outstanding, BUT you're hooked

Great first job, well done. :clap: You realize this is a very bad addiction you have let yourself in for. But, it is a lot of fun.

Wow

WOW!! You did a really good job on that saw!!! The before/after pics are what really does the justice. 044's are great saws, and they are runner's!!:greenchainsaw: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your right their are bigger saws out there but their are none more loved than the 044, got two myself. WTG

Love your avatar!

Appearance of a chainsaw is neat in the beginning, but when you get to using it, it won't be pretty for long! Enjoy the performance of the saw!!

:chainsaw:

Congratulations! The saw looks great! It's a good feeling rebuilding something and making it useful again. I did the same with my 440 a few years ago. It might not look like new, but its all mine and I'm proud of it. I'm sure you feel the same with you 044.
Dok

My feelings exactly!

Kevin

Thanks fellas for the nice comments and encouragement.

Sure is nice to look at my signature and not have 'project' in front of the 'Stihl 044'.

The Wright 111 is next...but it might be a while. I probably put more money into the 044 than I expected...so I gotta focus on other financial obligations for a while. I sure hope a basket case 064 or 066 doesn't come along within my sight...:dizzy: :) .

Kevin

Last edited:
saws

Thanks fellas for the nice comments and encouragement.

Sure is nice to look at my signature and not have 'project' in front of the 'Stihl 044'.

The Wright 111 is next...but it might be a while. I probably put more money into the 044 than I expected...so I gotta focus on other financial obligations for a while. I sure hope a basket case 064 or 066 doesn't come along within my sight...:dizzy: :) .

Kevin

That's ok, you need more saws, we MIGHT stop when you're around nine operational and dozens of projects!LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!:greenchainsaw:

I think I have several 044 air filter covers, if you will send me your address I will check and send one. Don't get in a hurry for I had kidney stones crushed last Thursday and will not get the stint out until this Friday. Tom

Spiffy saw there, Kevin. You done good. 70ccs is a good "all arounder" kind of saw. I love my 372, it's "just right" more often than not.

Mark

I think I have several 044 air filter covers, if you will send me your address I will check and send one. Don't get in a hurry for I had kidney stones crushed last Thursday and will not get the stint out until this Friday. Tom

Thanks for the offer man! I talked to my dealer today and he's gonna look around his shop and see if he has one. If he doesn't have one, I'll get back to you. More importantly, sorry to hear about the kidney stones. I'll be thinking about you and putting up a prayer for a speedy recovery. If I do take you up on your offer, take all the time you need to send it.

Kevin

Spiffy saw there, Kevin. You done good. 70ccs is a good "all arounder" kind of saw. I love my 372, it's "just right" more often than not.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. When I was looking to move up from my 260, a good friend had recommended a 044 and I had thought that it would be way to much saw for me...boy was I wrong! My first 70cc class saw (Olympyk 970) impressed me and I found it to be a perfect "all arounder"...but after tuning the 044...the thing seems to SCREAM compared to the 970! And as I said earlier, when I put it in wood...I'm wide-eyed! I guess it's the DP cover (and I widened the port a little in the cover) and the bigger opening in the muffler that makes it so loud. Right now I have it set at 13300. I'll be checking it regularily as I start to cut with it. I know it's too earlier, but I do think that the 970 might have a touch more grunt...we'll see.

Kevin

Yes, that's a nice looking machine! I really didn't get everyone's obsession with the 044, after all, I've got saws that are bigger and more powerful, right? Then I built/assembled my first 044 this last summer and I "got it" with one squeeze of the handle..... incredible throttle response with gobs of power and torque! Truly a great saw.

Thanks, Mark. When I was looking to move up from my 260, a good friend had recommended a 044 and I had thought that it would be way to much saw for me...boy was I wrong! My first 70cc class saw (Olympyk 970) impressed me and I found it to be a perfect "all arounder"...but after tuning the 044...the thing seems to SCREAM compared to the 970! And as I said earlier, when I put it in wood...I'm wide-eyed! I guess it's the DP cover (and I widened the port a little in the cover) and the bigger opening in the muffler that makes it so loud. Right now I have it set at 13300. I'll be checking it regularily as I start to cut with it. I know it's too earlier, but I do think that the 970 might have a touch more grunt...we'll see.

Kevin

Great job and happy cuttin Kevin! :clap:

Back