Cleaning chain - how?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsfcks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is a good method to clean a chain that is getting "dirty" eg oil deposits, sap etc. I was thinking something that could evaporate easily eg mineral spirits would work best and make the re-oiling easier. If I used an industrial type cleaner then the chain would need throughly water rinsed and dried before re-oiling.

Scooter...obviously that is something to do when my wife is not present! Compressed air sounds like a better solution with less risk of marital strife :) Thanks.

I keep a tin of turps (turpentine) for sappy chains, one of the 2kg tins is best with about 2" of solvent in it, soak for a bit and use an old, stiff paintbrush to
work the offending mook off, takes a min or two :) because turps is sap based it works very well to break even the toughest build-up down.

:cheers:

Serge

I keep a three pound coffee can half full of diesel. When I take a dull chain off one of the saws I toss it into the coffee can. When the can gets about 10chains in it I take them out, wipe the diesel off with a rag and sharpen them on my Northern Tool grinder. No matter what they look like when they go into the can, the diesel and the wiping clean them up just fine.

It seems that I picked up a (fortunately mild this time) poison oak rash from the bar or chain. I was wearing gloves the entire time in the woods, so the only contact would have been from the saw. A good incentive to ensure I clean both properly.

It seems that I picked up a (fortunately mild this time) poison oak rash from the bar or chain. I was wearing gloves the entire time in the woods, so the only contact would have been from the saw. A good incentive to ensure I clean both properly.

Yow! That can be a real drag. In that case, I wood toss the chain in a bonfire and stay upwind of it for an hour or so, then fish out the chain and sell it as scrap..............:greenchainsaw:

Actually, I bet diesel fuel wood work, because Technü the poison ivy stuff is basically a mineral spirits derivative............

if you need to clean your chain, you are not using your saw enough :dizzy: I don't give the sap time to stick :D

But, If i really feel sorry for the chain, ill clean it by finding a nice hunk of pine to run it through. its the only method of cleaning I know that doesnt feel like cleaning.

Never cleaned a chain in my life. Never even heard of it till now. Probably put hundreds of them on many saws, filed then all to nothing, they clean themselves. Silly thread, shame on you all, 'cept for Computeruser and Lakeside.

LOL - good posts. My background is as a development engineer, everything is always clean and shiny when we design it (before it gets used :)), and I always try to keep my tools that way too. Maybe I need to relax a bit? I am going to wipe the bar down though to get the poison oak oil off.

I keep a three pound coffee can half full of diesel. When I take a dull chain off one of the saws I toss it into the coffee can. When the can gets about 10chains in it I take them out, wipe the diesel off with a rag and sharpen them on my Northern Tool grinder. No matter what they look like when they go into the can, the diesel and the wiping clean them up just fine.

I use diesel as well. I usually use it for cleaning freshly sharpened chains.

LOL - good posts. My background is as a development engineer, everything is always clean and shiny when we design it (before it gets used :)), and I always try to keep my tools that way too. Maybe I need to relax a bit? I am going to wipe the bar down though to get the poison oak oil off.

Will saw gas kil the posion ivy oil?
If you are getting a tar like build up of pitch on your chain, it is because the teeth are getting hot. Sharpen your chain and back off the feed pressure. That is if you are cutting almost anything but red fir.

Last edited:
Joe, thanks for the comments but the dirt etc is not a buildup, more just what you would get from normal usage. After each weekend I clean the saw and bar back to as close to new as possible so I'm ready for the next time. It also lets me check the saw over for any issues, loose screws, missing or damaged parts etc. I was just wondering what to do with the chain.

I have 2 cans, 1 with oven cleaner, I throw the chain in after it's dull, when I feel like sharpening them, I wash them off with hot water, sharpen, then toss them in can #2 of WD-40

Latest posts

Back