beat on the ole 455 again today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i went for a 2nd round on the big oak again. got another full load too. the saw did great ran about 4-5 tanks through it, it actually seemed to start and run better than it ever has. now after 2 loads from that monster tree the 455 is lookin pretty fine to me!

sorry no pics i forget the camera but just picture sawdust and a pickup truck full of wood very much similar to this: as this was the first load :)

attachment.php

I used to like the 455 i had also and it cut fine but once i got the 036 its days were numbered.
I sold mine for about the same as i paid for it and made a fair bit of money out of it and best of all it paid for half of my 7900!:)

nice dont get me wrong im definatly upgrading. most likely a 372 2171 or a 7900. but i just dont like how the 455 gets dragged through the mud here its not a pos even though it has a plastic case!

also how do you like your 036? i was thinking of picking up a old 036 or 038. i dunno much about stihl though.

The 036 has about 1hp more than the 455 but with the torque of the 455 it dosnt seem that big a difference, But after it was muffler modded it would really outcut the 455 by a large margin.

dont you get fed up filling that undersize fuel tank every 20 mins?
the 036 runs much longer on a tank and you dont need to take the top off to see how much is in there!

yeah i do fill the tank alot. but hey gives the operator a little rest period :) dispite my gigantic pile of wood i really dont go through alot of saw gas by any means a couple gallons lasts me a good while.

The tanks on the 455 IS small.

I picked up a 455 rancher to replace my old 61, and thought it was a fuel hog until I realized how much smaller the tank was. :jawdrop:

nice dont get me wrong im definatly upgrading. most likely a 372 2171 or a 7900. but i just dont like how the 455 gets dragged through the mud here its not a pos even though it has a plastic case!

Most of the people who drags it through the mud probably haven't ever ran one. It's good for it's intended purpose.

Husky 455

I love my 455...I just cut up a 160 year old Chestnut Oak with it. The trunks was just over 4 1/2' at the base and I got about 4 cords of wood out of it. All with my 455 and yes the small gas tank is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as it gives me a chance to take a break.

I love my 455...I just cut up a 160 year old Chestnut Oak with it. The trunks was just over 4 1/2' at the base and I got about 4 cords of wood out of it. All with my 455 and yes the small gas tank is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as it gives me a chance to take a break.

Welcome to AS fellow shooter!

Yes getting a break is good but using a faster cutting saw is easier on you as you spend less time doing the same cut.
If i block fire wood at the bench using the 025 the other guy can split the wood as fast as i can cut it, If i use the 036 i can swamp him in wood and it feels easier on me! And i sweat a lot less!
I had a 455 and quite liked it until i got a better saw!

dont worry bud, you keep beating the snot out of it she'll quit just like the others. your bar mustve loved the half tank of oil trick in that big oak.

running saw is a good time though. sweet fire wood pic.

the bar has been fine it passes the spit test anyway. the tree was 4'9" across the stump. im not even close to finishing. if i do it all i might have to trade the saw in afterwards lol. i dunno the saw is what it is, i have it now and at the moment i dont have the money for a bigger saw so run what you brung.

i went for a 2nd round on the big oak again. got another full load too. the saw did great ran about 4-5 tanks through it, it actually seemed to start and run better than it ever has. now after 2 loads from that monster tree the 455 is lookin pretty fine to me!

sorry no pics i forget the camera but just picture sawdust and a pickup truck full of wood very much similar to this: as this was the first load :)

Good for you! Dont take any heat about the 455, it is by far the easiest starting saw I own, and was my go to saw before the 357XP joined the family.
I never had any complaints about the 455, a good saw and priced right.Even the small gas tank never bothered me unless i was neck deep in brush and had to slog my way back to the truck for a fill up one time to many.
From the looks of that wood, you are putting that saw through its paces.
But, isnt that what we buy saws for, to cut wood?
Happy cutting!

Good for you! Dont take any heat about the 455, it is by far the easiest starting saw I own, and was my go to saw before the 357XP joined the family.
I never had any complaints about the 455, a good saw and priced right.Even the small gas tank never bothered me unless i was neck deep in brush and had to slog my way back to the truck for a fill up one time to many.
From the looks of that wood, you are putting that saw through its paces.
But, isnt that what we buy saws for, to cut wood?
Happy cutting!

bring back the dead much?

I don't know if the 455 is like my 55 but if it is, I'm one of those that like it. OK I love it.
ry%3D400

Starts and runs like a dream. Cuts great with a sharp chain. Until mine gives up the ghost I don't have a need to get anything else. I carry a 45 for a backup saw and I love that one as well.

Back