Our Firewood Operation Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went down to the sheds today with a crew of guys to hammer out 2 semi loads of firewood. The sheds are owned by my dad and his brother and hold 200 face cord of firewood. We had 15 guys at one point, work was scheduled from 6 to noon, with a cookout to close the deal.

Uncle Bill's Rig for bringing the logs to the cutters.
DSCN2277.jpg

Some saws and gear in my Bro's aluminum trailer he built.
DSCN2281.jpg

The woodsplitter we built. 6"x36" ram, 18 twin Honda engine, 28 gpm pump.
DSCN2283.jpg

Some campfire wood stacked in the TP fashion.
DSCN2280.jpg

My brother sharpening on our homemade custom sharpening bench. We have a few of these that quikpin together.
DSCN2282.jpg

Brother putting on a cuttin clinic with his 372.
DSCN2285.jpg

DSCN2286-1.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

Last edited:
DSCN2279.jpg

DSCN2287-1.jpg

DSCN2288-1.jpg

DSCN2289.jpg

DSCN2284.jpg

We are going again tommorow morning to finnish the little we have left. I will try to get some crew shots and some of myself, since I always get the honors of being behind the camera. I was pushing wood up to be stacked with my skidsteer and grapple bucket, also cutting with my new 660 to break it in and my 460 with the dual port since it's a powerhouse firewood saw. Life doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
Quite a production looks like you knocked out a lot of wood in short order. I see you have a variety of wood there what are some of the major species you guys whacked up?

Yes we did, that's how we do it, saws screamin and wood flowin. If you can't sharpen a saw you don't cut, that keeps everybody doing what they do best. All of our help was excellent, only one chain got put on backwards, lol.

Mostly White Oak and Red Oak. About 1 percent Ash and Birch.

I like the sharpening bench. If you don't mind me asking what are you having to pay for a trailer load of logs. You guys would save a ton of time with a super splitter. That size wood is perfect. I would say your speed of wood cutting is held up by the splitter. Is there a reason you stack that much wood. I'm not big on stacking wood. It makes you handle it to much. You guys are doing nice work though.

Scott

I like the sharpening bench. If you don't mind me asking what are you having to pay for a trailer load of logs. You guys would save a ton of time with a super splitter. That size wood is perfect. I would say your speed of wood cutting is held up by the splitter. Is there a reason you stack that much wood. I'm not big on stacking wood. It makes you handle it to much. You guys are doing nice work though.

Scott

$70 a cord @ 2, 12 1/2 cord loads. As far as the splitting goes, we had two hydraulic splitters one never got used and one got used a little, 10 supersplitters (Fiskars mauls) were used. The oak split in one shot, only a few needed to go to the splitter. Supersplitter wouldn't have done anything. There were no bottlenecks in this operation. 45 face cord, cut, split, and stacked in 6 hours isn't slow.

I really don't understand your woodstacking question, it seems simple to me.

It's so easy with the right equipment, and working fluidly as a team. Dad did well.:clap:

fine Team work

congrats to your team.
And I know the taste of a cold beer after such a great job.
Cheeeeers Vincent

$70 a cord @ 2, 12 1/2 cord loads. As far as the splitting goes, we had two hydraulic splitters one never got used and one got used a little, 10 supersplitters (Fiskars mauls) were used. The oak split in one shot, only a few needed to go to the splitter. Supersplitter wouldn't have done anything. There were no bottlenecks in this operation. 45 face cord, cut, split, and stacked in 6 hours isn't slow.

I really don't understand your woodstacking question, it seems simple to me.

Don't take that wrong I wasn't saying it was slow by any means. I thought you were using the splitter to split everything I guess I missed the part that said everything was split by hand. Your right 10 guys swinging axes is faster then a super splitter. The stacking question was more of a why. When dealing with that much wood it takes a long time to stack it. I assume you load it by hand? If so that takes a lot of time compared to using the skid steer. Your operation looks fine and by the production numbers you guys are hard workers.

Scott

Don't take that wrong I wasn't saying it was slow by any means. I thought you were using the splitter to split everything I guess I missed the part that said everything was split by hand. Your right 10 guys swinging axes is faster then a super splitter. The stacking question was more of a why. When dealing with that much wood it takes a long time to stack it. I assume you load it by hand? If so that takes a lot of time compared to using the skid steer. Your operation looks fine and by the production numbers you guys are hard workers.

Scott

Stacking is fast. Cut it, split with maul, push pile up to shed with the skidsteer, stack it right quick. Bang, bang, bang. Every piece you pick up is right at your feet. No standing around until the dinner bell.

No harm, no foul.

Last edited:
nice operation. so are you guys all going to split the wood or sell it or ?

damn thats alot of wood! nice work. how big is that woodshed nails? also how is the wood stacked inside? i mean is it totally packed with wood or is there space for airation? im looking into building a roof for the pile aswell and im wondering how people stack it inside.

nice operation. so are you guys all going to split the wood or sell it or ?

It's my dad's and uncle's, they burn it and do what they want with the rest, end up giving a lot away.

I have my own 2 sheds that hold 120 facecord which I burn and sell, I certainly don't need it. We make a lot of other peoples would as a group too.

Last edited:
damn thats alot of wood! nice work. how big is that woodshed nails? also how is the wood stacked inside? i mean is it totally packed with wood or is there space for airation? im looking into building a roof for the pile aswell and im wondering how people stack it inside.

I want to say the sheds are about 12' wide and one is 64' long and the other is 44'. The wood is stacked tight, it is bone dry, and doesn't rot at all. Wood stays in the shed up to 6 years sometimes. Concrete floor helps a lot.

wow 64 and 44 ft thats an insane amount of wood. well im glad to know it can be stacked tight. is it a pita to stack it that high? i dont know that i would go that high but im 5'9".

We usually back a truck up to it and stand in the box to get the top stuff. Height is all free room, I wouldn't underestimate it.

Nailsbeats,

You don't mess around. That is a lot of wood. Great group effort.:clap:

If I remember correctly you built a couple of woodsheds at your place. Filled them with a big a$$ trailer and a contraption you called a cordmaster or something like that. You sure aren't afraid of a "little" work.

Unfortunately my team consist of a couple of saws, wedges and me and my pickup.

Latest posts

Back