Just finished one of my greatest days ever...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me start this off by saying I am a simple man and enjoy life's simple pleasures. I don't care if anyone else reads this but me, but I just wanted to record one perfect spring day that's the kind of day I live for.

I had the day off today but instead of staying home with both kids(Anna,4 and Michael, 2 yrs old) my wife, a school teacher, took our daughter to "Take your kid to work day". I'm already ahead of the game when I've just got the boy to look after!

1.) First off after breakfast and bathtime, called a local guy about a Craiglist wood trailer hit. My son and I started our "boys day out" with a $60 4X8 trailer that is way too underbuilt for firewood hauling but hey, for 60 bucks(!) I'll use it for yard duty(see below) and sell it to a family member or friend for the same amount because its a Craiglist Deal! (The details are for another thread).

2.) Stop #2. Glen's Surplus. A store for guys if there ever was one. It's an old warehouse in Shelby, Ohio that is half famous for men because it carries every old hardware, mechanical part, army surplus, doo-dad gadjet you've ever heard of. We picked up a new ignition unit for my old TroyBilt Horse tiller because a blasted mouse decided to chew through the old wire while building a home in the engine shroud this winter. Service tech Bob found my exact part in less than a minute and the cost was 28 bucks(I told you Glen's was great). Also picked up a 7 pin to 4 pin trailer electric connector for 6 bucks. Now we have brake lights for the ride home!

3.) Stop #3. Napa auto parts to pick up a filter and oil for the John Deere mower. In and out because the 2 yr old is trying to singlehandedly reorganize their inventory. But, job done.

4.) Stop #4 for gas and then home for lunchtime and rough housing and then it is glorious NAP TIME. This is where it gets good for a parent.

5.) Without my daughter there making me dress her Barbies, I am able to install my new 1 GB RAM card in the computer that just came in the mail 5 minutes after my son went down(perfect timing because I was bogging down too!) 10 minutes later, speedier computer. Woo Hoo!

6.) During NAPTIME I was able to change the lawnmower's oil, swap out the ignition unit on the wheelhorse and rebuild the great wall of china(at least it felt like it).

7.) As I'm putting the last bolt in the engine shroud I hear my son in his crib wailing "MORRRRNINNNGGGG DADDDAAAEE!" over the baby monitor in the shed. Once again perfect timing. He came out with me just in time to get the tiller and mower VROOM VROOMING again(Boys are awesome!) until my wife and daughter got home.

8.)Swing set time for 45 minutes until wifey takes BOTH kids with her to my daughters dance class(if you can call a bunch of 4 yr old girls skipping around dance). Now its time for the CHAINSAWS!!!

9.) Used the new trailer for yard clean up and it is perfect for that... low to the ground with high sides and not too heavy for the mower to handle. I have 3 Stihl chainsaws and can you believe the one I pulled out today was the mighty craftsmen!? Blasphemy! You say? Not for this job! Cutting up muddy half rotten poplar in the back corner of my property to haul to the woods for worm food. The fresh chains on the Stihls are still too fresh for that duty! And do you know what? The craftsmen started and ran just fine. Naysayers be d@mmed!

10.) As I was finishing that fun chore the wife and kids came home and brought me out dinner BECAUSE I was just dying to work the old Troybilt again after a long cold winter. Done while the wife and kids watched on a picnic blanket and played with the neighbors friendly cat.

11.) So friendly a cat, that as I was cleaning up and putting all the toys away she managed to sneak two of her newborn kittens into my shed! Great! Now how am I supposed to lock everything up! I wanted to give them all the boot because I am a dog kinda guy but when I caught her she was dragging the third one over in her mouth and looking beat down doing it. Like the Grinch my heart grew three sizes and I actually carried the fourth one the rest of the way to her hiding place in MY MANCAVE. Spent the next 2 hours after the kids were in bed with the wife watching mama cat bring 2 more kittens over while I fashioned a cardboard cat door into the auxillary shed door(an old storm door panel I removed.)

12.) That would normally do it but Daggonit, this was the Perfect(have I used that word much?) day to fertilize the front lawn. As any retiree would know(they are the only ones who can find the time to do it) you have to catch an exact window to weed n' feed the lawn. It has to be damp grass to catch the particles, but dry for the next three days, and it can't be windy, AND the weeds have to be actively growing AND you can't mow within the surrounding days, AND it has to be the third quarter moon of the Martian solstice. Tonight at 10 pm, these were all in perfect alignment so I was the crazy guy fertilizing his lawn at 10:30 pm.

13.) Finally, The wife and I sat and talked while we drank a fine pilsner enjoying the warm weather and eventful day. And If I hurry to bed maybe I can cap it off even more perfect(but I'm not counting on it!).

14.) And today I also won the Award for "Longest Post Ever On ArboristSite"
That's alright because next February I'll look this up to remember perfect spring days are coming!

Take care,
Johnnylabguy (Mark)

Sweet - the only way you're gonna top that is to find those worms you fed, and feed em to some fish, then feed the fish to yourself & the family!

MY MANCAVE.
Hey man not for nothing but erase that term from your memory. I know its popular so maybe I am a little *$&@phobic but you had a cool post going until I got to that. Then I puked in my mouth and had to walk away.

Hey man not for nothing but erase that term from your memory. I know its popular so maybe I am a little *$&@phobic but you had a cool post going until I got to that. Then I puked in my mouth and had to walk away.

Local radio guy uses the term "Men's Crisis Center" - google "Garage Logic"-pretty funny right-leaning talk radio on afternoons on KSTP-AM 1500 in Minneapolis/St Paul.

Congrats on the nice day!! Mine usually start out nice, then crash and burn sometime after lunch. I can't remember a day when all went well for me. Murphy has his cloak around my head and zip tied. lol

I too had a great day(or maybe it was weekend) going last week. Very similar in that I got a lot done in a reasonable amount of time(including hand digging footers and pouring concrete for my deck to be built this weekend). I'm hoping that after the deck is done that I have the "other" type of a great day soon....sitting on the deck, grilling some good eats and savoring a nice cold one :givebeer: in 80* weather.

Hope you have many more GREAT days to come!

Hows today look? You going to be able to go for two in a row?

Today's not even close, I'm at work! Although the weather is beautiful again in the high 70's and I'm looking forward to the look on my daughter's face when she sees those kittens in the shed! Dang, you're right about them wanting to keep a couple! I think the neighbor and I'll will have to work out a deal to get mama cat fixed!

Very nice post Mark...!

I enjoyed reading this one. Reminds me of when the A-team used to come on and the colonel would say "I love it when a plan comes together".:cheers:

Perfect day extension!

Thanks for the kind words to all that posted. I just wanted to add that the $60 Craigslist trailer has already paid for itself by letting me get some much needed yard chores finished more easily and some impromptu wagon rides for the kids too before the farmers plant the fields for the spring...here's a pic of the old beater:
attachment.php

It's fatal flaw is that the tongue is stickwelded on! Not exactly roadworthy, but it is a nice yard trailer and the wife liked it when we finally picked up a nice "landscaping rock" for a flower bed in the front yard. She wanted to actually pay money for a rock from a garden center when there are piles of them laying at the edge of every woods next to a farmers field here! Poor city dweller is still adjusting to the country life after all these years, but I still lover her!

Great post! By the way, I like the term "mancave" and I don't find it the least bit offensive. I think political correctness has gone way too far.

I had to chuckle myself when I got that type of response from the "Mancave" comment. I normally call it "The shed" or the "wood shed". I learned the term this winter when a sheriff deputy entered my shed, assessed the surroundings and summed it up quite nicely by stating "Nice Man Cave."

Why was a sheriff in my shed you ask? It was our first good "sledding snow" here in Ohio and my cousin, in his haste to get to the shed(a popular rendezvous point for the snowmobilers) wrecked his snowmobile pretty badly when he lost his bearings and mistook a creekbank for flat ground. Yes, he's ok now but managed to sprain and break a few things at the time. (His sled...not so lucky). The sheriff was there getting a statement from the others to see what happened. His speed and the creek bank grew exponentially each time they told it I'm sure. I wouldn't know, I was being the good cousin and was at the ER with my broken comrade!(even though I am a little bitter I missed a good shed GTG!)

If Mancave is good enough for the lawman, then it's good enough for me,too!

Back