Help with couple of pioneer oldies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
attachment.php
attachment.php
Just picked up these two pioneer's. The first is a NU-17. What is the difference between it and the 450? The farmer I got them from said that it ran awhile back. Has good spark, but only 90LBS compression. The recoil is a little sticky so it is hard to get consistent pulls(have to take my time and feed the rope back in). Hoping when I get the recoil cleaned out it "might" come up a touch. Anything I need to know before I start into it?? Anyone have an IPL?
The second saw will have to be a winter project. I think it is a 600...? That's my best guess from the pics on Mike Acres site. Alto pioneer 600 is not embossed on the filter cover. I have all the side recoil parts and cover, I think. An IPL or some advice would help.
Thanks all
Drew

Last edited:
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
attachment.php
Just picked up these two pioneer's. The first is a NU-17. What is the difference between it and the 450? The farmer I got them from said that it ran awhile back. Has good spark, but only 90LBS compression. The recoil is a little sticky so it is hard to get consistent pulls(have to take my time and feed the rope back in). Hoping when I get the recoil cleaned out it "might" come up a touch. Anything I need to know before I start into it?? Anyone have an IPL?
The second saw will have to be a winter project. I think it is a 600...? That's my best guess from the pics on Mike Acres site. Alto pioneer 600 is not embossed on the filter cover. I have all the side recoil parts and cover, I think. An IPL or some advice would help.
Thanks all
Drew

The difference between the NU17 and the model 450 is the years of manufacture. The NU 17 was made from 1961 until 1964 and the 450 from 1964 to 1968. All the parts interchange, I have rebuilt several of each model.
Pioneerguy600

The difference between the NU17 and the model 450 is the years of manufacture. The NU 17 was made from 1961 until 1964 and the 450 from 1964 to 1968. All the parts interchange, I have rebuilt several of each model.
Pioneerguy600

Why the change from letter designation(NU) to numbers(450)? Also, is 90LBS compression way on the low side? Can I find rings?
Thanks for the imput.

Can IPL's be had for either of these saws? I imagine that they have a unique sound when they run. On the top of the NU-17, there looks to be a site glass. What's the purpose?

Why the change from letter designation(NU) to numbers(450)? Also, is 90LBS compression way on the low side? Can I find rings?
Thanks for the imput.

There was a lot of changes going on with IEL and Pioneer and they changed there models every couple of years with some minor improvements in filtration and carburatation and would rebadge the saws accordingly. Yes 90 lbs is low on compression, rings will be difficult to find but not impossible.
Pioneerguy600

Can IPL's be had for either of these saws? I imagine that they have a unique sound when they run. On the top of the NU-17, there looks to be a site glass. What's the purpose?

The glass is to allow the operator to see the gas from the primer pump being pushed through to the carb.
Pioneerguy600

There was a lot of changes going on with IEL and Pioneer and they changed there models every couple of years with some minor improvements in filtration and carburatation and would rebadge the saws accordingly. Yes 90 lbs is low on compression, rings will be difficult to find but not impossible.
Pioneerguy600

well first things first, I'll give it a good look over, see if the cylinder is scored. Happy that I have a good blue spark(even from an old fouled plug).
I thank you for the quick info.
Drew

well first things first, I'll give it a good look over, see if the cylinder is scored. Happy that I have a good blue spark(even from an old fouled plug).
I thank you for the quick info.
Drew

Brendon (propliner ) may have IPL`s for these saws , I only have original service manuals. Best of luck on getting them up and running.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back