What is a "Rick"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ske-bum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Until I came to this site I had never heard the term Rick when talking about firewood amounts. So how much wood is a Rick guys??? Just curious...Thanks.

It is not a legal sale term here either but as I know it a rick is a stack 8' long and 4' high x what ever length it is cut to. Also known some places as a face cord I do believe. Wood terms do vary by region it seems except for one, If you throw a load off your truck or trailer and dont bother stack it it is purdy universaly known as a "pile"

whats a rick

I was always told a face cord is 4 x 8 x whatever the length the wood is, it becomes a third of a cord when the wood is 16" (pretty common) A rick around here is any amount agreed upon by buyer and seller ie. one row stacked in a truck, one row stacked between two trees or whatever is convenient. Honest people use rick as a handy measure, dishonest people use rick as something that defies concrete dimensions. I don't think "rick" has a legal description as do "cord" and "face cord" .

I've always thought of a rick and a face cord as the same thing, and thats the way I've heard/seen it applied.

face cord = 4' X 8' X whatever the wood length is & a rick being the same.

One commonly used in forest products engineering/mfg is the "CUNIT"

a cunit = 100 cubic feet of wood. Just another measure of volume.

http://www.unit2unit.eu/cunit.html

Buyers of wood not familiar with measures and units are apt to be shorted by dishonest sellers. Let the buyer beware - and know how to measure.....

It is not a legal sale term here either but as I know it a rick is a stack 8' long and 4' high x what ever length it is cut to. Also known some places as a face cord I do believe. Wood terms do vary by region it seems except for one, If you throw a load off your truck or trailer and dont bother stack it it is purdy universaly known as a "pile"

LOL, Yeah I know about "piles" seen quite a few piles in my time. Hell, even had trucks that were considered piles. Maybe even a girlfriend or two that could have qualified.:eek:

It is a term that should be done away with along with face cord. It's not that hard to call it 1/3 of a cord. Most people don't have a clue what the difference is between a real cord and a face cord. Calling it a pile or a pick up truck load would be a better term imo. Actually a common pick up truck load is closer to a 1/2 cord, and it is a lot easier for someone to know about how much wood that is.

Last edited:
It's the firewood equivalent of a rod or cubit. See also firkin, hogshead, furlong, mitchkin, or rundlett. :)

I'm all for keeping some of the old terminology alive (because I like olden-sounding language) as long as there's a more or less consistent standard of measurement. :cheers:

Last edited:
What do you call a stack of wood 4'x8' x18" long? 3/8's of a cord that's what most folks around here want. or for their OWB they want 30" wood what's that? 5/8's. I know that the only legal term. But it's alot easier (and the way it's done around here) to call up and say, I need a rick of wood 18" long, how much will it cost me? that has 3 measurements to it. 3/8 of a cord could be anything. JMO

Last edited:
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
C.N. says:
1 CORD = A STACK OF LOGS 4' X 4' X 8' . Period. Finito. End.:agree2:

Now, you want to call a pile of sticks "lamp chops", "bananas", " face this", "chopped liver", or "rickie" do it. We are free and not single. There is one measure here in North America for firewood, pulp wood, CORDwood, saw logs stacked. It can be measured in BOARD FEET if applicable to be cut as lumber or veneer.

Damn, C.N. is dismissed. :hmm3grin2orange: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

And here's the way that alot of guys measure a cord http://kcfirewood.com/FAQ_s.htmlIt's hard to compete with that, if your saling a real cord.

Their justification is kind of like saying, " We measure a gallon of gas as 3 quarts. Why? 'Cause we have noticed that most of our gasoline customers are driving more fuel efficient vehicles and don't need the other quart!"

Gotta love it.

Where I live, Georgia, it's not a legal description for a firewood amount and I don't use the term.
A rick of firewood does not exist in Nebraska either. I once heard a guy say a "jag" of wood when referring to a large pile. That seemed to be closer to a cord that a "rick", but I never really knew what he was talking about. :dizzy:

If a rick of wood is essentially half a cord and a face cord is essentially half a cord, why no just call it half a cord? Why do I hear people say they burned 8 *face* cord last season? Why not just say "I burned 4 cord last season"? Or depending on the length of the wood it could be any where from 2.5 to 4...

I currently have 8 cord and 1 rick stacked in my yard for the winter. See, now you guys have no idea how much wood I have. I could have 8 cord @ 24" each piece with one row @ 16", 18", 20", or whatever.... What a useless term. I used to never know what it meant, now I just don't care. Just so you know, it is 8.5 cord of wood as I aim to cut at 24".

By the way, I still use the old fashioned 4x4x8 for figuring a cord. I am not into that new math the previously mentioned website uses. I'd feel cheated if they delivered me a *cord* cut at 16" and it was only 2 rows. That is only 2 *face* cords!

Chris

A rick of firewood does not exist in Nebraska either. I once heard a guy say a "jag" of wood when referring to a large pile. That seemed to be closer to a cord that a "rick", but I never really knew what he was talking about. :dizzy:

I dunno where it comes from but out here...at least back when I was a kid, a "jag" referred to a load. No amount given, just a 'small jag' or 'big jag', etc. "I brought in a small jag of hay yesterday".

Harry K

you guys are completely wrong with this one, a Rick, Rank, 1/3 cord is 4'tall 8' long and 16" wide a Face Cord is 4' tall x 8' long x XX" of wood whether it is 10" stove wood or 30" OWB wood it is a face cord

Wrong: A rick/rank is any pile of wood one stick wide and as high and long as you care to stack it. There is no 'legal' definition of a rick as 4'x8'x16". That people like to use it to cheat customers, try to impress people with the amount they made or whatever does not change that.

Bottom line: This is a pretty professional forum. If you want to talk amount of wood, use professional terms - CORD.

Harry K

Last edited:
Back